+ Reply to Thread
Page 322 of 322 FirstFirst ... 222 272 312 319 320 321 322
Results 8,026 to 8,037 of 8037
    NYYF Legend

Re: Official 2019-20 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Just a thought. I see BoSox DFAed Denyi Reyes, RHP, 23. I know we have a bunch of RHP and I don't know the scouting but I thought he was one of the promising Boston prospects and it was only 1 year. He was rough up at Portland (AA) last year. I would look into this.

(I don't see Arenado coming here because of the contract moving forward.)

Red Sox designated RHP Denyi Reyes for assignment.
    Reyes had an excellent showing in the lower minors in 2018 before struggling to a 4.16 ERA and 116/37 K/BB ratio over 151 1/3 innings last summer at Double-A Portland. The 23-year-old could draw interest on waivers.

Jan 28, 2020, 6:51 PM ET
    I read up on Reyes last night. He doesn’t have a single pitch that even reaches average, let alone plus. He needs to maintain extraordinary command to pitch at the big league level. The reason he was released I think had to do with the fact the Sox had to protect him on their 40 man due to that amazing 2018 season he had, and with the bump he had last year in a pitcher’s league they decided he was no longer worth protecting.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Can the party start now?

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan 6m
    BREAKING: Chicago Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant has lost his grievance against the team seeking an extra year of service, sources familiar with the ruling tell ESPN.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Bryant loses grievance, and as such, his trade value rises.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Can the party start now?

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan 6m
    BREAKING: Chicago Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant has lost his grievance against the team seeking an extra year of service, sources familiar with the ruling tell ESPN.
    Let's goooooooooooooooo
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Death Star Fully Operational

I still can't believe the Cubs will trade Bryant, but we'll see if they do as it will definitely be expensive trade asset-wise.

NYYF Legend

Betts reportedly wants 12/420 to forego free agency (according to Lou Merloni).

Tom Verducci has a piece on SI about how Betts and his 5’9” stature puts him in some rarified air alongside Mel Ott, Paul Waner, and Tim Raines (among others)..

Here’s what sets him apart: Betts, 27, is listed at 5-foot-9, 180 pounds. At this age, Betts is the greatest small power hitter since Mel Ott, who was born in 1909. It takes quite the imagination to find much precedent in Ott, who debuted 94 years ago at the Polo Grounds with a distance of just 258 feet down the rightfield line.

“He’s small,” said one executive who has searched for Betts comps. “It’s the one thing that makes you wonder a little bit. Players typically rely more on size and strength as they age to the mid-30s and less on fast-twitch muscles. But he has such off-the-charts hand-eye coordination it’s easy to imagine him years from now with a high on-base and the quality of his at-bats holding up. He controls the three dimensions of the strike zone as well as any hitter today.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Betts reportedly wants 12/420 to forego free agency (according to Lou Merloni).

Tom Verducci has a piece on SI about how Betts and his 5’9” stature puts him in some rarified air alongside Mel Ott, Paul Waner, and Tim Raines (among others)..
    It helps when you know what pitch is coming.
    There's a sinister plot a brewin'

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I read up on Reyes last night. He doesn’t have a single pitch that even reaches average, let alone plus. He needs to maintain extraordinary command to pitch at the big league level. The reason he was released I think had to do with the fact the Sox had to protect him on their 40 man due to that amazing 2018 season he had, and with the bump he had last year in a pitcher’s league they decided he was no longer worth protecting.
    Thanks for the info. I agree it was the numbers he was DFA'd but now you don't have to put him on the 40 man roster (you can invite him to ST or sign him to minors I think). I only saw his numbers at the A level and the BoSox protected him (purchased his contract) . Command is a common issue for AA and AAA because the batters don't chase as much. Like Brian I look for those diamonds.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Thanks for the info. I agree it was the numbers he was DFA'd but now you don't have to put him on the 40 man roster (you can invite him to ST or sign him to minors I think). I only saw his numbers at the A level and the BoSox protected him (purchased his contract) . Command is a common issue for AA and AAA because the batters don't chase as much. Like Brian I look for those diamonds.
    He likely will be claimed off waivers - if not, then a mL contract would work.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

I go back and forth on Bryant. I really want Nolan more, but can't ever see that money working.

Some things about Bryant hitting I don't love.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I'm all in on Arenado. Take the LT hit for 2 years and then let him walk.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I'm all in on Arenado. Take the LT hit for 2 years and then let him walk.

I highly doubt Arenado is a possibility unless Cashman finds a way to unload Happ and Stanton.

Thread Information