+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 195 FirstFirst ... 51 91 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 111 151 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 4857
    NYYF Legend

Re: Official 2019-20 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Interesting BA says The Yanks have signed Jonah Heim...SH, Defensive minded catcher. Heim was added to 40 Man roster...Good Bye Romine?
    That would be an interesting add he had offensive break out this year. I thought the As just added him to their 40 man, did he get MiLB FA?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Interesting BA says The Yanks have signed Jonah Heim...SH, Defensive minded catcher. Heim was added to 40 Man roster...Good Bye Romine?
    His bat has steadily improved. Had a great year last year though PCL batting stats should be taken with a grain of salt.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    His bat has steadily improved. Had a great year last year though PCL batting stats should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Is there a link on Yanks signing him? Iím not seeing one but maybe Iím just missing it.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I see no reason to think he could be adequate at first. I just think people might be more tolerant of him as a bad first baseman.
    If Giambi who was a rock at 1b could field it fine for almost 10 years at yankee stadium, I donít see why Andķjar wonít at least be adequate there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Is there a link on Yanks signing him? I’m not seeing one but maybe I’m just missing it.
    I cannot find one either, but I did find one about him being added to the A’s 40.

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/m...566/jonah-heim

Found this one, too though not Yankee related.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...es-to-improve/
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

I cannot find one either, but I did find one about him being added to the A’s 40.

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/m...566/jonah-heim

Found this one, too though not Yankee related.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...es-to-improve/
    New York Yankees
    Elected free agency: RHP David Hale, LHP Tyler Lyons
    Added to 40-man: C Jonah Heim
    Removed from 40-man: RHP Jake Barrett (outrighted to Triple-A)

Maybe a mis-print? This is from MiLB transactions BA latest postings

NYYF Legend

New York Yankees

Itís probably correct. I think he had the ability to elect FA, maybe he wanted to go somewhere where his path to bigs was easier this year. If itís true Iím sure it will be on Yankees site in a day or two but I have no reason to doubt your source.
    Baseball is life;

New York Yankees

I think itís a misprint as Heim was added to the Aís 40 man roster that week.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-4-nov-5-2019/

NYYF Legend

I believe that's what happened here. Not listed in MLB transactions.

NYYF Legend

That makes sense
    Baseball is life;

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    If Giambi who was a rock at 1b could field it fine for almost 10 years at yankee stadium, I donít see why Andķjar wonít at least be adequate there.
    I always thought Giambi was a liability at 1B, but agree Andujar would likely be adequate. Assuming heís not flipped for SP, itís likely LF or 1B, whatever heís better at, plus DH. 1B makes more sense to me as we have a glut in LF w Stanton, Tauchman and others, whereas 1B itís just Voit. Plus itís likely an easier adjustment to 1B s LF.

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    I always thought Giambi was a liability at 1B, but agree Andujar would likely be adequate. Assuming heís not flipped for SP, itís likely LF or 1B, whatever heís better at, plus DH. 1B makes more sense to me as we have a glut in LF w Stanton, Tauchman and others, whereas 1B itís just Voit. Plus itís likely an easier adjustment to 1B s LF.
    OF logjams clear fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    Jason Giambi was a rock at 1B? This is the disconnect. I just don't think people realize how bad Giambi's defense was there. Again, 1B defense pales in importance to many other positions, but that doesn't mean its irrelevant. If Andujar could hit like Giambi, you tolerate that defense all day long. But I don't envision him putting up any 193 wRC+ seasons in the immediate future.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and Andujar comes out in '20 raking and we forget all about Voit and Ford, but I'd bet against it even though I really like Andujar.

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    Don't sleep on Ford.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I would have to feel it’s a depth move. Higgy is out of options, so who is next up?

Higgy’s presence isn’t tied to Romine’s status - if Romine signs, Higgy is likely gone.

EDIT: the report may be in error, but I think the logic regarding Higgy/Romine remains.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Jason Giambi was a rock at 1B? This is the disconnect. I just don't think people realize how bad Giambi's defense was there. Again, 1B defense pales in importance to many other positions, but that doesn't mean its irrelevant. If Andujar could hit like Giambi, you tolerate that defense all day long. But I don't envision him putting up any 193 wRC+ seasons in the immediate future.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and Andujar comes out in '20 raking and we forget all about Voit and Ford, but I'd bet against it even though I really like Andujar.
    He meant rock as an immovable object/horrible fielder. Everyone knows Giambi sucked in the field, it was his bat that everyone loved. Andujar will NEVER hit as well as Giambi.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynYankee View Post
    He meant rock as an immovable object/horrible fielder. Everyone knows Giambi sucked in the field, it was his bat that everyone loved. Andujar will NEVER hit as well as Giambi.
    Iím not confident Andķjar will field as well as Giambi, either.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Don't sleep on Ford.
    Good point. Ford was clutch down the stretch. Shame he didnít get a spot on the postseason roster. I donít see him as starting 1B, but maybe thereís a slot for him.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Iím not confident Andķjar will field as well as Giambi, either.
    Thatís a given. His defense anywhere worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynYankee View Post
    Thatís a given. His defense anywhere worries me.
    I question whether he will ever be the hitter he was 2 years ago after this surgery.

DJL may be one of the best defensive 2B you'll ever see, yet he struggled to pick up 1B. It's not a gimme.
    And yet he was the Yankees best defensive 1Bman by a wide margin which speaks volumes about the defense of their other 1Bman.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Death Star Fully Operational

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    And yet he was the Yankees best defensive 1Bman by a wide margin which speaks volumes about the defense of their other 1Bman.
    And, I don't agree with that narrative that he struggled at 1st base. Did he make a few mistakes there? Yes, but, that doesn't mean he struggled there.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Yes, true. I wasn't criticizing DJL. I was using him as an example of a guy that has ELITE defensive ability at other infield positions, freakishly good, yet couldn't just "plug and play" at first. Andujar is freakishly bad at the sole infield position he's been asked to man his entire mL and ML career. Not sure why everyone assumes the attributes that hurt him at 3B will transform at the opposite corner. At least with DJL as a 2B the ball comes off the bat similarly there as it would at first. With Andujar the opposite is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    And, I don't agree with that narrative that he struggled at 1st base. Did he make a few mistakes there? Yes, but, that doesn't mean he struggled there.
    I'm not launching a "narrative." I'm one dude on this forum using a verb about a player that some folks are being too sensitive about and taking way too literally. His range wasn't good, he made a few unforced errors in a pretty small sample. Am I saying he sucked, or that he couldn't master the position? No. I'm saying it wasn't a plug and play transition regardless of his defensive prowess at 2B and 3B. I wasn't implying he was BadNewsBearish out there at all. Do you disagree with the point, or just the verb?

NYYF Legend

Ex-Yankee Mason Williams is a mL FA and might be a good depth signing considering the Yankee CF situation. Good contact hitter, another lefty bat, pretty good OFer. Stash him in Scranton until the injuries begin to mount.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Ex-Yankee Mason Williams is a mL FA and might be a good depth signing considering the Yankee CF situation. Good contact hitter, another lefty bat, pretty good OFer. Stash him in Scranton until the injuries begin to mount.
    Milb deal couldn't hurt

Thread Information