+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 102 FirstFirst ... 27 67 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 87 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2544

Re: Official 2019-20 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    All we know is that the Indians liked him enough to promote him and try to keep him there. What we don't know outside of a quote indicating he's good at simplifying and speaking to the players, is how he'll handle being a coach.

Also as TheGameEpisode2 said, it's crazy to me that not only are the players so much younger than I am, but now the coaches are younger too. I'll be 35 in a few weeks and now the Yankees pitching coach is younger than I am, it's pretty hard to grasp lol.
    Makes ya feel old doesnt it? I just started realizing there arent too many older than me in baseball actively playing, Im 38.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Iíll keep an open mind on Blake but keep in mind 4 years ago he was coaching at the High School level. Also keep in mind the narrative used to be that Mikey Callaway was most responsible for the Indians success with pitchers.
    This is where I"m at on the Blake hire.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheGameEpisode2 View Post
    Iíve gotten to the age where I can accept when thereís a bunch of players younger than me, but now Iím apparently approaching the age where Iím almost the same age as coaches Wild.

Yeah I wish they wouldnít rush on Gardner, especially if theyíre sticking to the luxury tax. If anything go after a Jarrod Dyson whoís cheaper and offers plus D and speed, also a different type of hitter.
    If by different type of hitter you mean one that canít get on base or hit for any power then I guess bringing in a career 78 OPS+ hitter coming off a 66+ season and entering his age 36 season sure then Dyson makes a ton of sense. If you like terrible players with zero upside.

If they Yankees wanted to get creative they could explore a trade for a CF but no guarantee the market for that develops.

I know Gardner is not an exciting resign but a 1 year deal in the $8-$10m range wouldnít be the worst. I like others would prefer they sink that money into SP but someone needs to man CF next year. Even if you commit to Tauchman like I would like them to do, you need someone to back him up til Hicks returns.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    If by different type of hitter you mean one that canít get on base or hit for any power then I guess bringing in a career 78 OPS+ hitter coming off a 66+ season and entering his age 36 season sure then Dyson makes a ton of sense. If you like terrible players with zero upside.

If they Yankees wanted to get creative they could explore a trade for a CF but no guarantee the market for that develops.

I know Gardner is not an exciting resign but a 1 year deal in the $8-$10m range wouldnít be the worst. I like others would prefer they sink that money into SP but someone needs to man CF next year. Even if you commit to Tauchman like I would like them to do, you need someone to back him up til Hicks returns.
    Iím not asking for him to be an everyday CFer, but as a backup plan you could do much worse, especially if youíre playing with a limited budget.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

NYYF Legend

The problem with Gardner is:

1) He's more likely to repeat 2018 than 2019 at his age. Expecting another 2019 especially if they unjuice the balls would just be unlikely.
    2) Last 3 years in RISP: wRC+ 88
    3) Career Postseason wRC+ 38. It's not just last year, he is ALWAYS terrible in postseason.

His signing is just lazy, and again a terrible use of resources. The Yankees have been able to find value OFers pretty easily, go find another. Move on.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Same thing last off season. Wasn't the Gardner signing the first move last year?

Who's the second move? Luis Cessa.

I hope Blake is the next big thing. At the same time Iíve been around a long time and can smell BS a mile away. For a long time the narrative around baseball was Micky Callaway was the genius behind the Indians pitching success. Now we find out that Callaway had nothing to do with the success, it was really some obscure minor league pitching coordinator. Again I hope Blake works out but Iím not buying into the narrative concerning his role with the Indians pitching success.
    If it was just BS from the Indians then why did the Indians just promote him in order to keep him in the organization? Another thing, if it was BS on the Yankees part then why didn't his name leaked beforehand like those two college coaches?
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Projections that I have seen suggest that the Yankees are at about $216M in payroll right now without doing a darned thing. The reality is that, unless Hal decides he is willing to exceed the $248M threshold, this team already has very limited payroll flexibility regardless of what moves they make now.
    If Hal set the budget within $248M, it makes me to question about Cashman resource allocation even more as Chapman extension basically has blocked any significant move in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    If Hal set the budget within $248M, it makes me to question about Cashman resource allocation even more as Chapman extension basically has blocked any significant move in the off-season.
    That's fair enough!
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

A payroll of $248M without an ace would be a disaster.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Devoted Member

Yes. In a vacuum, signing Chapman makes sense. But if they're going for optimal resource allocation, you have to question how much money they're spending on the bullpen at this point, and the impact that has on keeping them from being able to sign Cole.

NYYF Legend

We've seen this play last year though. Even Cashman stated as much as the reason he didn't sign Corbin. I hope it's changed this year, but wouldn't be surprised if it's all the same.

That said, even if we do go over, I would have preferred they put the money towards an additional SP, or maybe eat some money to get rid of Happ/Stanton. Putting close to 30m towards Chapman and Gardner just seems like a terrible idea. They had basically no to negative impact on the playoffs this year. We need to do a better job at finding players who do.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

I hope Blake is the next big thing. At the same time I’ve been around a long time and can smell BS a mile away. For a long time the narrative around baseball was Micky Callaway was the genius behind the Indians pitching success. Now we find out that Callaway had nothing to do with the success, it was really some obscure minor league pitching coordinator. Again I hope Blake works out but I’m not buying into the narrative concerning his role with the Indians pitching success.
    It's not possible that both Callaway and Blake both did a great job in Cleveland? Exactly no one has said what you're claiming here

The problem going over 248 is you lose picks as well as loads of more money.

NYYF Triple Crown

@Ken_Rosenthal
    Larry Rothschild is the #Padresí new pitching coach, sources tell The Athletic.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    The problem going over 248 is you lose picks as well as loads of more money.

I have no confidence in oppenheimer's ability to make picks anyway. so id rather spend the money on the guy who is almost assuredly a sure thing
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    Larry Rothschild is the #Padresí new pitching coach, sources tell The Athletic.
    Nice. Tell Paddack to stop throwing fastballs this year and weíll take him on the cheap next offseason

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

1) He's more likely to repeat 2018 than 2019 at his age. Expecting another 2019 especially if they unjuice the balls would just be unlikely.
    3) Career Postseason wRC+ 38. It's not just last year, he is ALWAYS terrible in postseason.

His signing is just lazy, and again a terrible use of resources. The Yankees have been able to find value OFers pretty easily, go find another. Move on.
    The juiced ball helped him and even guys like Urshela out this year. They won't repeat that next year. Need to stay from far Gardner next year. Allocate $$ somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    A payroll of $248M without an ace would be a disaster.
    Agree.

Stanton $25m and Ellsbury $22M AAV's

YIKES

Your hatred of Gardner is well documented here and you try hard to find anything to prove your case. Regarding 1) above, Gardner scored 95 runs in 2018, good for second on the team, while providing excellent defense. If he can keep up that kind of pace until Hicks gets back that'll be plenty good enough. His job is primarily run scoring and defense, and picking on his RISP stats is like picking on Sanchez' stolen base numbers.....he's just not a clutch hitter. As for 3) which you can repeat over and over, which you do, he's NOT coming back to be a postseason player, only to fill in until Hicks is back. You want to fix the problem there if it persists, trade Hicks and get a center fielder who can stay healthy. Giving Gardy a 1 year deal isn't going to stop the team from making a $200 million long term contract offer to anyone.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Agree.

Stanton $25m and Ellsbury $22M AAV's

YIKES
    Stanton as a Yankee .268/.349/.507 131 OPS+, 41 HR - $51M, 176 games

Ellsbury as a Yankee .264/.330/.386 95 OPS+, 38 HR - $126M, 520 games

The two aren't really comparable.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Your hatred of Gardner is well documented here and you try hard to find anything to prove your case.
    I love Brett Gardner actually. One of my favorite players coming up. I was a massive proponent of him coming up to replace Melky back in the day. Followed his mL career intently. However, I do not hold attachment for individual players. I have love for the team, not players. It's time to move on here.

Regarding 1) above, Gardner scored 95 runs in 2018, good for second on the team, while providing excellent defense. If he can keep up that kind of pace until Hicks gets back that'll be plenty good enough. His job is primarily run scoring and defense, and picking on his RISP stats is like picking on Sanchez' stolen base numbers.....he's just not a clutch hitter.
    Although a player's baserunning comes into play, and Gardner is a great baserunner. Run scored is more a metric of the offense around him and batting order, not the player. That's why his runs scored dropped this year despite having a better offensive season to '18. You don't need to choose between having RISP hitters and guys who scored runs. They can be both.

As for 3) which you can repeat over and over, which you do, he's NOT coming back to be a postseason player, only to fill in until Hicks is back. You want to fix the problem there if it persists, trade Hicks and get a center fielder who can stay healthy.
    He wasn't supposed to come back in '19 as a postseason player as well. How can you say that he won't in '20 with any certainty? Especially with an OF with as many injuries as we have. In addition, veterans play over rookie performers pretty often on the Yankees.

Giving Gardy a 1 year deal isn't going to stop the team from making a $200 million long term contract offer to anyone.
    This is a pretty large misrepresentation. We know yearly salaries matter (Cashman's words). Yes, in a vacuum giving Gardner a 1yr deal doesn't prevent anything, but things like Gardner + Chapman do. That's the point, and that's why we have to find depth in smarter ways. I'll mention as well if Clint can't be depth at this point, what is the point of him being on the club? Must move this offseason.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Stanton as a Yankee .268/.349/.507 131 OPS+, 41 HR - $51M, 176 games

Ellsbury as a Yankee .264/.330/.386 95 OPS+, 38 HR - $126M, 520 games

The two aren't really comparable.
    Well, they're pretty comparable in one regard:

% of regular season games played in since becoming a Yankee:

Stanton - 54.3%
    Ellsbury - 53.5%

(Yes, I fully expect that to move significantly in Stanton's favor in the future, but thus far, they've consumed an awful lot of payroll and given us similarly limited availability).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Well, they're pretty comparable in one regard:
    % of regular season games played in since becoming a Yankee:
    Stanton - 54.3%
    Ellsbury - 53.5%
    (Yes, I fully expect that to move significantly in Stanton's favor in the future, but thus far, they've consumed an awful lot of payroll and given us similarly limited availability).

Games I expect from Stanton in 2020 ~130
    Games I expect from Ellsbury in 2020 ~0
    Baseball is life;

..... I'll mention as well if Clint can't be depth at this point, what is the point of him being on the club? Must move this offseason.
    My own opinion of Clint from day one was that he was grossly over-hyped. His defense is terrible, despite working hard to improve. Also, he hits from the waist up instead of from his feet up, which robs him of power. When he does get into one it's seemingly only due to his strong upper body and quick hands. I think the FO is finally coming to these conclusions which is why he spent so much time in AAA this year and wasn't considered for the postseason roster despite the OF needs. I also think his defense can't be fixed, but his swing can. It'll take a lot of time and work and I don't know if he would even consider it. So, I agree with you here...move him and get what they can.
    Let the kids play.

Thread Information