hal, is that you?
    lol!!!!!!!

Re: Official 2019-20 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    hal, is that you?
    lol!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Too complicated to take into account state income taxes. The players pay taxes to the states that have it when they play away games there. Most players don’t reside offseason in the state they happen to play in that year so 4+ months of that offseason states taxes. Then where do they play spring training games? What is their spouses earnings? Like I said too complicated.
    It's really not at all complicated. It'd be a straight forward math equation, just plugging in the variables for each team. Or just normalize it for their home games, which for each team is 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Deivi Garcia got rocked in AAA last year. He looks like a top prospect, but I wouldn’t pencil him in as a substitute for Cole quite yet. There’s a big difference between a top prospect and a top pitcher.
    Love me some Deivi. But you are absolutely right. He can't be counted on and shouldn't be rushed. You have the game's best pitcher right now and arguably another top 10 starter right now both available as free agents. Grab them. If Deivi is the goods, you can reap those benefits in addition to what Cole/Stras have to offer, and his cost-control can help to absorb a big contract in the out years. This would be a very good problem to have. You have to acquire elite SP talent when it is available and guys are in their primes. It doesn't have to be an either/or, as much as the bean counters want to make it seem that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogwood View Post
    Hey All. I've been reading these threads for a long time and have just now started posting. Getting Cole would be totally great - but I will say that while a season like '98, where you lead pretty much wire-to-wire and just mow everyone down, was the ultimate, I'd like to throw in that we will likely never see a season like '19 again. Where the team had no right to win, where you figured the next replacement was going be a giant hole in the lineup...but they kept winning anyway. And winning and winning. No WS is a drag. But it's hard to imagine another regular season that'll match this one, where call-ups and castoffs pulled together and creamed the division while G Stanton watched from the dugout.

So this is my appeal to say that while watching the Yanks get Cole and win it all would be fantastic, there is something equally (if not more) satisfying about guys you never heard of gigantically overachieving and coming within two games of the WS.

For what it's worth.

I'll hush up now.

And no need to hush up, post away!

Cole is not God just the point and how people would react on here lol

NYYF MVP

Re: 2019 offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by bomb View Post
    let didi, gardner, and cc walk.
    trade stanton and sanchez to LAD.
    sign cole
    sign a catcher
    sign another utility infielder. (moose?)

tauch, hicks, judge
    urshela, torres, dj, ford/voit
    new C
    Again Stanton has a NTC not going anywhere.

And what catcher are you going to sign?

The Yanks 2020 staff gets better while the Astros gets far worse without the Yanks spending a cent.

The Yanks O also gets better with Andujar coming back.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Love me some Deivi. But you are absolutely right. He can't be counted on and shouldn't be rushed. You have the game's best pitcher right now and arguably another top 10 starter right now both available as free agents. Grab them. If Deivi is the goods, you can reap those benefits in addition to what Cole/Stras have to offer, and his cost-control can help to absorb a big contract in the out years. This would be a very good problem to have. You have to acquire elite SP talent when it is available and guys are in their primes. It doesn't have to be an either/or, as much as the bean counters want to make it seem that way.
    You can't hurry love, you just have to wait, its a game of give and take.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The Yanks 2020 staff gets better while the Astros gets far worse without the Yanks spending a cent.

The Yanks O also gets better with Andujar coming back.

I really do not think Andujar will be anywhere near the opening day lineup imo.

Anyone know what day and time Cashman gives his year end closing? I thought I heard this Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed View Post
    You might be onto something here. If the 30 wannabe GM's and Owners on NYYFans boycott the Yankees, Hal might be in real trouble.

Yea, and if the other 30 who never offer insight and ideas and who can only criticize and hammer other posts don't show up at games, then Hal might take notice. For once, tell us what you think not what you think about other posts. Tell us what can we do to make it to the world series in 2020. And before you say it, don't tell us "well, win the ALDS and then win the ALCS. Sorry I stole your response.

It's really not at all complicated. It'd be a straight forward math equation, just plugging in the variables for each team. Or just normalize it for their home games, which for each team is 50%.
    The biggest issue with the luxuary tax is the threshold has lagged way behind the growth in revenues. IMO the last two CBAs were one sided in the owners favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post

Let Encarnacion walk.
    Make Sanchez the DH and start Romine.
    See what not having to catch every day does to Sanchez's slash line.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogwood View Post
    Let Encarnacion walk.
    Make Sanchez the DH and start Romine.
    See what not having to catch every day does to Sanchez's slash line.
    Sanchez as DH. What a joke. Seven out of every ten at bats a strike out. The eighth is a combination of a double play or pop out. The last two are contact with twenty-five percent being a home run.

Romine is a free agent. How much do you intend to spend to keep him?

NYYF Cy Young

Absolutely baffled to hear so much talk about jettisoning Sanchez, because: why?

The state of catching in the league right now is pitiful. Even leaving out 2016 and 2017 -- his best years - and just focusing on 2018 and 2019, Sanchez is still the 7th best catcher by fWAR Sure, you can sign Grandal. But our catching situation isn't fundamentally broken. Starting pitching is. For chrissakes, stop rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic and plug the damn leak in the boat.
    Don't have a clue

Been thinking about this and the double-dip advantage it gives to teams in locations with no/low income tax rates.

It's an economic reality that, all things being equal, the Yankees would have to add ~$3MM a year to a ~$30MM contract just to deal with the state/city income tax delta. That is what it is.

But MLB then ALSO penalizes the Yankees (and California teams) since they have the same lux tax thresholds as teams with no/low income taxes. I could see a scenario where $10MM of a ~$200MM payroll (5%) just goes to account for increased salary costs to cover tax differences for players considering signing with the Yankees compared to many other teams.

Wondering if MLB should normalize the fixed lux tax thresholds to account for these differences to avoid teams like Houston from getting an actual financial advantage when negotiating with players AND a reduced impact to luxury tax considerations.
    Not picking on you per se, but this is a very narrow minded view and fails to look at the whole financial picture. The disparity works both ways, and is much more prejudicial to smaller market teams (including those with no state tax).

Teams in markets outside of CA and NY have very little chance of competing as it relates to revenues... Media rights, sponsorship value, ticket prices, etc. etc. The reality is that it's not a level playing field and that is perfectly fine. NY and California teams are the richest and wealthiest in the business, last thing they need is rules that would further benefit them.

Quote Originally Posted by yesteryearman View Post
    Yea, and if the other 30 who never offer insight and ideas and who can only criticize and hammer other posts don't show up at games, then Hal might take notice. For once, tell us what you think not what you think about other posts. Tell us what can we do to make it to the world series in 2020. And before you say it, don't tell us "well, win the ALDS and then win the ALCS. Sorry I stole your response.
    Fortunately you did not steal my response, so I guess I can answer.
    My view is simple. Every year and I mean EVERY YEAR, fans scream, type, dig up stats, make up stats, on so and so player the Yankees must sign to win the next year. Last offseason it was Harper and Machado... this year its Cole, next year someone else, and so on and so on. The matter of the fact is this, Harper and Machado did not sign. Majority and I mean MAJORITY of the fans did not care and showed up in the millions to enjoy a great season of their favorite team.

So if you think 'regular' fans will boycott this team because they fail to sign Cole then what can I say.

These people aren’t our children, and they’re not Hamlet.
    I'm enjoying the concept of Hamlet as a professional baseball player. I imagine he'd take a lot of pitches.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    I really do not think Andujar will be anywhere near the opening day lineup imo.
    I think he will if they don't sign Didi.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I'm enjoying the concept of Hamlet as a professional baseball player. I imagine he'd take a lot of pitches.
    Imagine him as a pitcher, standing on the mound for minutes at a time, staring at the ball and pondering.

Imagine him as a pitcher, standing on the mound for minutes at a time, staring at the ball and pondering.
    Then, there's this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet
    That one may smile and smile and be a villain.
    Maybe he could play Second Base.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by twsalso View Post
    Sanchez as DH. What a joke. Seven out of every ten at bats a strike out. The eighth is a combination of a double play or pop out. The last two are contact with twenty-five percent being a home run.

Romine is a free agent. How much do you intend to spend to keep him?

All the baseball brains talk about what an unearthly hitting talent Gary is. Smoltz was going on about how you basically need a PhD to catch these days, and how Gary was drowning in the problem of modern-day sign-stealing (or perceived sign-stealing anyway).

Maybe if you took all that brainwork off his shoulders and just let him swing a bat, he'd be cranking out hits like the Beatles.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

FB or not FB, that is the question.

Plus, the guy's a balk waiting to happen.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Thread Information