+ Reply to Thread
Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 107 108 109 110
Results 2,726 to 2,742 of 2742
    Addicted Member

Re: Official 2019-20 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    If I recall at the time everyone blamed Levine for the Ellsbury signing. It's great to be Cashman, there's always someone else who takes the hit for bad signings.
    Normally, I find myself in agreement with you on most things. Not on this one, though. This signing was soooo bad, that the GM who made it would have been fired by now. But you can't fire the Owner!

THe NTC that ellsbury got also factors in.
    Did Hicks get a NTC?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Waite Hoyt.
    Who was the 1b/C that went back and forth between NYY and BRS?
    Mike Stanley?

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    Did Hicks get a NTC?
    No. He can be dealt, but there's a clause in his contract the gets him a $1M bonus if he's traded.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    In other words, older when he signed the deal, like I said.

And signed for $12M more per year against a luxury tax threshold that was almost $20M less.

Hicks was given his contract this year so he is the same age elsbury was when he signed his .

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Yeah but how many teams would want a guy who has 5 years left and already missed the first 2 with injuries? When I said hicks was worse is because they have yet to get a healthy season out of him and still gave him 7 years . The same amount of years they gave elsbury
    And that is where the comparison begins and ends.

Both contracts were risky considering injury histories of the respective players. But one was pure downside risk given the scale of the deal. As has been stated here, people literally projected it could reach all-time levels of bad. Hicks' deal had a ton of upside given it's $10MM AAV. Like half the price, several years and different economics later.

Even if Hicks never plays another game in his career, I hope they sign two more Hicks rather than one more Ellsbury. They are light years apart in terms of impact.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    And that is where the comparison begins and ends.

Both contracts were risky considering injury histories of the respective players. But one was pure downside risk given the scale of the deal. As has been stated here, people literally projected it could reach all-time levels of bad. Hicks' deal had a ton of upside given it's $10MM AAV. Like half the price, several years and different economics later.

Even if Hicks never plays another game in his career, I hope they sign two more Hicks rather than one more Ellsbury. They are light years apart in terms of impact.
    Hicks is why they have to pay another 10 mill to Gardner . So if anything as long as they keep having to resign Gardner because hicks is on the IL , it is wasting 20 mill . Almost the same as they are spending on elsbury. So there goes your theory on impact .

Hicks is why they have to pay another 10 mill to Gardner . So if anything as long as they keep having to resign Gardner because hicks is on the IL , it is wasting 20 mill . Almost the same as they are spending on elsbury. So there goes your theory on impact .
    So wouldn’t Ellsbury be costing $32 million then?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    So wouldn’t Ellsbury be costing $32 million then?
    Elsbury is gonna cost 26 mill, 21 mill for next season and then 5 mill to buy him out . As of now hicks costs 20 mill because he can’t stay healthy. And possibly more if Florial doesn’t pan out and they have to trade or sign someone else when hicks goes on the IL once Gardner retires .

Elsbury is gonna cost 26 mill, 21 mill for next season and then 5 mill to buy him out . As of now hicks costs 20 mill because he can’t stay healthy. And possibly more if Florial doesn’t pan out and they have to trade or sign someone else when hicks goes on the IL once Gardner retires .
    But if Ellsbury was healthy, we wouldn’t need Gardner either. So he’d cost $26 million plus $10 million.

You can’t use that logic for Hicks and not Ellsbury.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Pretty much.

I dug this out of the archives:

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...light=ellsbury

These stand out:

Biggest fan of the deal: TrueYankee01

Most of the rest did not like the price. especially compared to optimistic ideas about Canó's eventual deal.
    Good thing you didn’t quote my reaction - I was beyond livid and would likely be insta-banned if I posted that type of language today.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    But if Ellsbury was healthy, we wouldn’t need Gardner either. So he’d cost $26 million plus $10 million.

You can’t use that logic for Hicks and not Ellsbury.
    Well Gardner didn’t keep getting brought back because of elsbury. Hicks was supposed to replace Gardner since elsbury was hurt . And they will still owe hicks 50 mill after next season, while elsbury is owed just 26 mill now. My point in all of this is that the yanks learned nothing from the elsbury deal when they signed hicks early this year. No way in hell was hicks worth 7 years , even at 1 mill per

Well Gardner didn’t keep getting brought back because of elsbury. Hicks was supposed to replace Gardner since elsbury was hurt . And they will still owe hicks 50 mill after next season, while elsbury is owed just 26 mill now. My point in all of this is that the yanks learned nothing from the elsbury deal when they signed hicks early this year. No way in hell was hicks worth 7 years , even at 1 mill per
    Hicks signing was such a waste. The fact that he signed was enough of signal it was a bad deal for us. The kid knows he just isn’t that good and that he’s made out of glass. He jumped at the chance when the contract was offered. He figured “helllllll , I’m always getting hurt, I’m not having a long career. I’m signing this $&@! ASAP”

That's a reach of epic proportions, and Ellsbury may have been released but he's still going to cost the Yankees $26MM from here out. So no, that point is moot. And there's no certainty the Yankees would cut ties with Gardner regardless. They seem to like him.

It's not a theory. If you're trying to argue the Hicks contract was worse than Ellsbury's that may be one of the most unjustifiable opinions I've ever seen on this board.

EDIT: Rob beat me to it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    I wonder how many fans here were excited the day Cashman signed Ellsbury away from the Sox. If I remember correctly the reigning sentiment was we just stuck it to Boston. Funny how the worm has turned.
    It says you joined in October 2018 ...
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Waite Hoyt.
    Red Ruffing. Carl Mays. Sad Sam Jones. Bullet Joe Bush.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Red Ruffing. Carl Mays. Sad Sam Jones. Bullet Joe Bush.
    Jumping Joe Dugan.

Thread Information