+ Reply to Thread
Page 313 of 358 FirstFirst ... 213 263 303 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 323 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,825 of 8935

Re: Official 2019-20 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

I dont see Andujar being a good OFer at all.

1B has to be the other option besides 3B and DH.

We would be an injury or 2 from having Andujar and Frazier in the corners of the OF... Imagine that.
    Derek Jeter - Mariano Rivera - Bernie Williams - Don Mattingly
    My Core Four Ive Seen in my Lifetime

NYYF Legend

Remember the Rob Refsnyder 2B/3B experiment? Good times.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Really? I think there were at least a dozen posters suggesting the same thing.

Mind your there were also posters who think he could be a half decent 3B "with more work" but there were a ton of people who think he's not getting better at 3B after 6 years of trying hard to do just that...get better at 3B.
    OK,
    but I'd said "boards." There are others.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post

We would be an injury or 2 from having Andujar and Frazier in the corners of the OF... Imagine that.
    I dunno. He's got decent speed and a strong arm. Frankly, I'm surprised that he's never played OF professionally. He could surprise. No team would have a good OF were it to lose 2 starters.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I don't think you need Spring Training to give him opportunities at these positions. You should be able to make these types of determinations prior to games starting. Scouting. Drills. Knowing his strengths and weaknesses. Ect...
    Well yes in the sense that the ST games don’t matter as much as you can run drills and simulate games too, but no in the sense that they can’t evaluate him at those positions until they actually see him try it. To date he’s had minimal exposure to 1B (on the side only) and no exposure we know of in LF. So while they can evaluate athletic skills and abilities and thus rule out more demanding positions like the up the middle ones there’s no telling at this point how he’ll track fly balls and run routes or how well he can pick it at 1B. He’s got enough speed and arm strength to play the OF, and he’s certainly athletic enough for 1B now it’s a question of the rest which you can only really judge by watching him play those positions, ideally (but not necessarily) in game situations.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Well yes in the sense that the ST games don’t matter as much as you can run drills and simulate games too, but no in the sense that they can’t evaluate him at those positions until they actually see him try it. To date he’s had minimal exposure to 1B (on the side only) and no exposure we know of in LF. So while they can evaluate athletic skills and abilities and thus rule out more demanding positions like the up the middle ones there’s no telling at this point how he’ll track fly balls and run routes or how well he can pick it at 1B. He’s got enough speed and arm strength to play the OF, and he’s certainly athletic enough for 1B now it’s a question of the rest which you can only really judge by watching him play those positions, ideally (but not necessarily) in game situations.
    I think you can make these evaluations fairly quickly with all the scouting and data you already have. If the idea is let him play a couple positions, and hope one stands out then sure, go for it. However, my feeling is this is going to turn into let's shoehorn Andujar into lineup anyway we can, and he's not going to learn any position well enough, and hurt the team everywhere with negative defense.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

However, my feeling is this is going to turn into let's shoehorn Andujar into lineup anyway we can, and he's not going to learn any position well enough, and hurt the team everywhere with negative defense.
    Might be.

I think it's the now built-in reason he doesn't break camp with the team.

"Gio won the position, but we want Miguel to get the everyday reps that will help him back from the shoulder AND to get comfortable defensively at [insert whichever position he was worst at in ST]."

Service time: manipulated.

Only thing that gets in the way is a major injury or significant implosion by Urshela.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    I dunno. He's got decent speed and a strong arm. Frankly, I'm surprised that he's never played OF professionally. He could surprise. No team would have a good OF were it to lose 2 starters.
    Yes, why not? Manny Ramirez spent years being a below average LF, but his bat was worth it. It's possible Andujar's bat can still earn a spot in this lineup in spite of his defensive deficiencies.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

The main thing Andujar needs to do in Tampa is to carry a big bat with him. If he shows he can square up balls in (and slightly out of) the strike zone and be selective --- Boone will find a way to get him ABs.

I doubt Andujar will ever be any more than average at any position he plays - I guess they might just value his offense and make the best of his defensive shortcomings.

We can't have a Larry Walker type at every position all the time. I like Andujar's bat, but I value Urshela's coverage @ 3rd a little more.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

OK,
    but I'd said "boards." There are others.
    Blasphemy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Might be.

I think it's the now built-in reason he doesn't break camp with the team.

"Gio won the position, but we want Miguel to get the everyday reps that will help him back from the shoulder AND to get comfortable defensively at [insert whichever position he was worst at in ST]."

Service time: manipulated.

Only thing that gets in the way is a major injury or significant implosion by Urshela.
    I don't think it needs to be all that elaborate. Just shift to the OF, and if you need an excuse (you don't), then you can say he's needs time to develop his craft in the OF. We feel this a position he will really excel at with more experience. Yadda yadda.

You already know what he is at 3B. What's there to figure out here? Basically, where can you hide him best in the field. He has an arm and speed. There's nothing that makes more sense to me than the OF corners.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

I don't think it needs to be all that elaborate. Just shift to the OF, and if you need an excuse (you don't), then you can say he's needs time to develop his craft in the OF. We feel this a position he will really excel at with more experience. Yadda yadda.

You already know what he is at 3B. What's there to figure out here? Basically, where can you hide him best in the field. He has an arm and speed. There's nothing that makes more sense to me than the OF corners.
    Alex Gordon is an example of a subpar 3B who became an excellent LF.

The Yanks need to give him time to adapt to a new spot and not try again to create a super sub.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

He does have decent speed, but not enough to make up for bad routes often. Also, he does have arm strength but if the load time on his throws is excessive that offsets. By all means give it a go but I'm not optimistic.

Devoted Member

Andujar had 47 doubles as a rookie. If the Yanks could have *bought* two doubles in the ALCS - they would have moved on to the WS. They will find a place for him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post

You would think that playing 3B all these years he should transition well into a “quality” 1B.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    You would think that playing 3B all these years he should transition well into a “quality” 1B.
    And where will you transition Voit?

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    And where will you transition Voit?
    DH and Back up 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rhod0406 View Post
    DH and Back up 1B.
    Seems to me you would take the player without a position and put him at DH rather than inventing a position for him to play. Voit is no all world defender by any stretch but he's still better than Andujar.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Seems to me you would take the player without a position and put him at DH rather than inventing a position for him to play. Voit is no all world defender by any stretch but he's still better than Andujar.
    You also have to figure which player do you think the Yankees are more committed to.

I think if Andujar is healthy it is certainly him so I could see them giving him every chance to play there over Voit.

NYYF Legend

You also have to figure which player do you think the Yankees are more committed to.

I think if Andujar is healthy it is certainly him so I could see them giving him every chance to play there over Voit.
    Why? Voit is a much better hitter, and under control for longer.
    Calmer than you are

If Andujar continues to hit, one way or the other he will be in the lineup. Baseball has always been that way. It looks like his long third base experiment is over. He simply cannot field the position. So the Yankees are trying to find him a new position. Maybe he becomes a mediocre to average left fielder or first baseman. There is no downside to this. Worst case scenario is he stinks at three positions instead of one and ends up mainly DHing.

Why? Voit is a much better hitter, and under control for longer.
    I am not convinced he is.

Andujar in only 24 years old while Voit is 29.

So my current prediction for the Roster:

Starting Pitchers
    Gerrit Cole
    Luis Severino
    James Paxton
    Masahiro Tanaka
    Ja Happ

Relief Pitchers
    Aroldis Chapman
    Zach Britton
    Tommy Kahnle
    Adam Ottavino
    Chad Greene
    Jonathan Loiasiga
    Luis Cessa

Catchers
    Gary Sanchez
    Kyle Higashioka

Infielders
    Gleyber Torres SS/2B
    DJ LeMahieu 2B/3B/1B
    Miguel Andujar 1B/3B/DH
    Gio Urshela 3B
    Luke Voit 1B/DH
    Tyler Wade SS/2B/3B/OF
    Mike Ford DH/1B

Outfielders
    Aaron Judge RF/DH
    Giancarlo Stanton LF/DH/RF
    Brett Gardner CF/LF
    Mike Tauchman CF/LF/RH
    Clint Frazier RF/LF/DH

vs RHP
    2B LeMahieu
    RF Judge
    SS Torres
    LF Stanton
    DH Ford
    C Sanchez
    1B Andujar/Voit
    CF Gardner/Tauchman
    3B Urshela

LHP
    2B Lemahieu
    RF Judge
    SS Torres
    LF Stanton
    C Sanchez
    DH Voit
    1B Andujar
    3B Urshela
    CF Tauchman

I could see Mike Ford getting dropped for another relief pitcher but I hope not since I think he can be a really impactful LHB in this lineup. Also either Wade of Estrada will make the team as well so there is a backup SS on the roster somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Remember the Rob Refsnyder 2B/3B experiment? Good times.
    I don't think they're on the same playing field when it comes to offense.

This team was a mash unit last year, pretty much every year they're injury prone. This stuff has tendency to sort itself out.

So my current prediction for the Roster:

Starting Pitchers
    Gerrit Cole
    Luis Severino
    James Paxton
    Masahiro Tanaka
    Ja Happ

Relief Pitchers
    Aroldis Chapman
    Zach Britton
    Tommy Kahnle
    Adam Ottavino
    Chad Greene
    Jonathan Loiasiga
    Luis Cessa

Catchers
    Gary Sanchez
    Kyle Higashioka

Infielders
    Gleyber Torres SS/2B
    DJ LeMahieu 2B/3B/1B
    Miguel Andujar 1B/3B/DH
    Gio Urshela 3B
    Luke Voit 1B/DH
    Tyler Wade SS/2B/3B/OF
    Mike Ford DH/1B

Outfielders
    Aaron Judge RF/DH
    Giancarlo Stanton LF/DH/RF
    Brett Gardner CF/LF
    Mike Tauchman CF/LF/RH
    Clint Frazier RF/LF/DH

vs RHP
    2B LeMahieu
    RF Judge
    SS Torres
    LF Stanton
    DH Ford
    C Sanchez
    1B Andujar/Voit
    CF Gardner/Tauchman
    3B Urshela

LHP
    2B Lemahieu
    RF Judge
    SS Torres
    LF Stanton
    C Sanchez
    DH Voit
    1B Andujar
    3B Urshela
    CF Tauchman

I could see Mike Ford getting dropped for another relief pitcher but I hope not since I think he can be a really impactful LHB in this lineup. Also either Wade of Estrada will make the team as well so there is a backup SS on the roster somewhere.
    Sounds about right but Frazier needs to play everyday and he won't get that in NY. He should be ticketed for SWB.

Thread Information