+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 319 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 offseason thread

2020 will be Ellsbury's last year and although it will cost the Yanks $5 million to buy out the club option. Couple that with CC, Didi, Chapman (possible opt out), Gardner, Happ (unless he starts 27 games or throws 167 Innngs - both unlikely), Tanaka, Betances - adds up to in excess of $105 million that will be off the books by the start of the 2021 season. So we take on sone significant salary for 2020 and then get back under the cap in 2021.

Edit: This would allow the Yanks to sign Cole, Strasburg and/or whoever else they wish to this off season. Yes, other players will get raises via arbitration, but they should have sufficient payroll room to allow this to happen.

Delete this s—t. It’s like a game thread starting way too soon.

If we’re being superstitious 1-0 since this thread existed, just saying

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    If we’re being superstitious 1-0 since this thread existed, just saying
    I’ll retract this now

I'm sure nothing will be done to get better either. To Hal this season was a 100% success. LOL at the idea of signing Cole or Strasburg. Not a chance it happens.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I'm sure nothing will be done to get better either. To Hal this season was a 100% success. LOL at the idea of signing Cole or Strasburg. Not a chance it happens.
    Yeah that’s the worst part. I’m under no illusion that they’re going to sign Cole. My guess is they’ll re-sign Gardner and Didi, and maybe sign Wheeler—he’ll try to sell us on some advanced analytics that show he’s primed to have a breakout season when in reality he’ll simply be cheaper than Cole.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynYankee View Post
    They will re sign Gardner, that’s a lock. And don’t be surprised if they talk CC into coming back after a full knee replacement. This is where we’re at.
    Not for nothing, but Gardner was a good re-sign and not a black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Yeah that’s the worst part. I’m under no illusion that they’re going to sign Cole. My guess is they’ll re-sign Gardner and Didi, and maybe sign Wheeler—he’ll try to sell us on some advanced analytics that show he’s primed to have a breakout season when in reality he’ll simply be cheaper than Cole.

Yup. Thats the thing with these analytics presentations he loves to peddle about his low cost signings. Its all just a cover for Hal being cheap and not wanting to invest in premier FA's.

Forum Regular

Something needs to change. We just can’t waste the prime of these young players by not putting together what it takes to beat the Astros.

Monday

Cashman: "Obviously disappointed with the outcome. We felt and we still feel that we have a championship caliber roster in this clubhouse but ultimately we fell short of that goal. The Astros are a tremendous team but we feel like we took them as close to the brink as we could have. Some balls we hit didn't find grass, if they do, who knows what happens. The playoffs are by definition a crapshoot, but I felt confident coming to the table but things just didn't work out for us. Clearly there will be moves made, as always, we will take every step possible to ensure we are in a position to compete for a championship next season."

Reporters in scrum: Brian, do you feel an even greater need to address the rotation this offseason?

Cashman: I feel a great need to address every part of this roster. I think Paxton and Tanaka both came up big for us at various points, we are looking forward to a full healthy year of Severino. JA had an up and down year but he is a pitcher we think we can rely on, he showed improvement in September and had his moments in the playoffs. But as always, we will examine and explore every possible way available to us to improve the team.

Scrum: Looking at the last couple of playoff series losses, the team has lost to teams with big time front line starting pitching and placed less emphasis on the bullpen, do you think you might change your philosophy on overloading the bullpen at the expense of addressing the rotation?

Cashman: We think having a lockdown lights out bullpen is the best weapon to win. Starters don't go as deep in games these days, having an elite pen is something that differentiates us from other contenders.

scrum: but brian, the pen tends to be overworked by the time October comes around, its been a common theme that gets exposed when you can only rely on Tanaka to go more than four innings in a playoff game more often than not...

Cashman: Thanks guys, see you at the Winter Meetings!

Didi, Gardner, Edwin should not be back.

Need more hitters like DJ.

Just as far as free agents go, Cole, Strasburg, Brock Holt. Let Didi go, slide Gleyber to short, and have Holt play 2B. He gets on base, Didi doesn’t. Thanks for the memories though.

Get Cole. No excuses. Must be the highest bidder for him.

Let Didi walk. Buy out EE. I'd rather let go of Gardy one year too soon than too late. However, if they bring him back on a reasonable deal, I won't hate it. Eat some money and move Happ.

C - Sanchez(he's not going anywhere)
    1B - Voit/Ford
    2B - DJL
    3B - Urshela
    SS - Torres
    LF - Tauchman
    CF - Hick's
    RF - Judge
    DH - Stanton(with games in left and right)/Andujar(some work at 3B)

With the Yankees penchant for resting players, not to mention injuries, there will be plenty of at-bats for everyone.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    Just as far as free agents go, Cole, Strasburg, Brock Holt. Let Didi go, slide Gleyber to short, and have Holt play 2B. He gets on base, Didi doesn’t. Thanks for the memories though.
    Cole convinced me. No Strasbourg

I don’t know, 3 straight trips to the postseason without even making it to the World Series. I think at some point, they’ll have to splurge.

The Astros have now ended our season in 3 of the last 5 years. I said this in the GT....as a long time Knicks fan, it reminds me of the 90s Knicks. Good but never good enough. Often running into the same team (Jordan Bulls) and never being able to beat them when it matters.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    I don’t know, 3 straight trips to the postseason without even making it to the World Series. I think at some point, they’ll have to splurge.
    The big question is does Hal care? Cost vs revenue analysis may say no. Obviously there’s more to it than that but not sure it matters to him.

NYYF Legend

These locker room postgame interviews are breaking my heart. Why can't they just let them suffer alone? The silent scenes of them hugging each other were very moving, but what is the point of asking them how they feel now, or what the hardest part about this loss is?

I thought Judge was going to cry the whole time, and they just kept on asking him the most asinine questions.

Are the rules for this thread? Yes i know early on i was a little too much on a few players but before i post i would like to know the rules on like Zimmer putting Hal and Cashman down every day? or the constant every day cheapness posts.

I would just like to know because last off season the rules were different for different people and i would like to know if Cashman and Hal and the whole team management and coaches are open season every day thanks......

NYYF Legend

Good for Didi telling one of them, "I mean, that's the same question you just asked me."

I noticed he hesitated a beat before saying he hopes he's back with the Yankees next year.

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Get Cole. No excuses. Must be the highest bidder for him.

Let Didi walk. Buy out EE. I'd rather let go of Gardy one year too soon than too late. However, if they bring him back on a reasonable deal, I won't hate it. Eat some money and move Happ.

C - Sanchez(he's not going anywhere)
    1B - Voit/Ford
    2B - DJL
    3B - Urshela
    SS - Torres
    LF - Tauchman
    CF - Hick's
    RF - Judge
    DH - Stanton(with games in left and right)/Andujar(some work at 3B)

With the Yankees penchant for resting players, not to mention injuries, there will be plenty of at-bats for everyone.
    Would never happen but I would explore Frazier/Andujar/Sanchez for a solid starting pitcher. I'm not sold on offense anymore with all these years of quality bats going cold in the playoffs.

NYYF HOF

The Astros have now ended our season in 3 of the last 5 years. I said this in the GT....as a long time Knicks fan, it reminds me of the 90s Knicks. Good but never good enough. Often running into the same team (Jordan Bulls) and never being able to beat them when it matters.
    I honestly can say I hate them more than I hate the Red Sox. There have been more times we’ve beaten down the Red Sox, but the Astros have been killing us in heart breaking fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

NYYF Legend

Now they're picking on Hicks. How bad do you THINK it stings, stupid?

I understand your point, but when the Bulls beat the Knicks, it was Jordan Jordan Jordan and maybe a little Pippen. Yankees lost this series because they couldn't crush the Astros bullpen.

Is this the off season thread? i think the other thread is for what just happened and this is for moving forward no?

Thread Information