+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    I'd buy him out, but if anyone can tell me, does a buyout go against the luxury tax thing?
    I was wondering the same thing... if I had to take a guess I would say yes.

Re: So how is the 2020 roster going to be different ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefansince68 View Post
    Also I like Gardner, I'm not as quick as others on the board to cut bait with him.
    I like Gardner too, but only as a 4th outfielder. Unfortunately someone between Cashman and Boone love him more than I do and think he should be hitting 3rd (lol) or 5th in the ALCS. This should never, ever be the case. Brett can hit mediocre pitching, but has been helpless for his whole career vs top-notch pitching. He should bat 9th when pressed to start or better yet be a pinch runner/defensive replacement off the bench. With Stanton here for the long haul we will need to bring in another starting left fielder and regulate Giancarlo to full time DH in order to keep him in the line-up as much as possible.

To win a World Series they need to sign Rendon to play 3rd and Cole as an ace starter.
    Move Torres to SS, LeMahieu to 2nd.

Trade Angujar, Sanchez and other pieces for another starter.

But knowing Hal and Cashman, they will overpay Didi, resign Gardner and maybe even pick up Encarnacion's option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeter99 View Post
    I like Gardner too, but only as a 4th outfielder. Unfortunately someone between Cashman and Boone love him more than I do and think he should be hitting 3rd (lol) or 5th in the ALCS. This should never, ever be the case. Brett can hit mediocre pitching, but has been helpless for his whole career vs top-notch pitching. He should bat 9th when pressed to start or better yet be a pinch runner/defensive replacement off the bench. With Stanton here for the long haul we will need to bring in another starting left fielder and regulate Giancarlo to full time DH in order to keep him in the line-up as much as possible.
    I think we got the best years out of Gardner. Unless the ball is as or more juiced next year he's probably going to have a down year. Plus he should get better offers to play CF somewhere. If he's out there a while struggling to find a deal, sure I'd take him as OF depth is always needed especially with an OF that includes Hicks and Giancarlo. Still I think Tauchman is the guy with Frazier being the depth. And then sign some minor league FAs or trade for AAA prospects to prepare for when the injuries pile up.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agree on all points.

What they should do:
    * Sign Cole
    * Try to trade Happ
    * Let Didi walk
    * Do not re-sign Gardner. Leave that spot open for Tauchman and save money
    * Move Torres to SS and DJL to 2B
    * Rendon? A luxury but at least kick the tires

What they will do:
    * Never make Cole an offer
    * Trade for a cost controlled mid-rotation pitcher who will underperform here
    * Re-sign Didi
    * Re-sign Gardner
    * Spend $20 million on relief pitchers
    * Lead the league in runs scored and then get bounced in the playoffs by a team with better starting pitching. Rinse, repeat.
    Man I hope your What They Will Do points are wrong. They really should:

- Sign Cole AND Wheeler or Strasburg;
    - Let Gardy, Edwin and Didi walk; replace Gardy with Tauchman/Frazier, move Torres to SS, DJLM to 2B, Voit/Ford at 1B, Andujar/Urshela at 3B;
    - Resign Betances to 2 year lower money deal;
    - Ship Happ out, eat (half?) of his $17 million contract to facilitate a trade.

Letting their FA's walk plus CC should free up around $30 million per year of the current payroll, so you arent adding too much payroll adding a Cole and Wheeler/Stras.

Im going to be pretty pissed if they dont get ATLEAST Cole this offseason. Not signing other big FA's in the past (Machado, Harper) was atleast understandable considering other options they have. They NEED an ace, and there are some available this offseason. Plus we know the Yanks have wanted Cole for forever. Id love it if they went all 2009 and sign two big starting pitchers and the best position player (Rendon).

Flex that Yankee muscle for once and put out a rotation of Cole, Strasburg, Tanaka, Sevy and Paxton.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I think we got the best years out of Gardner. Unless the ball is as or more juiced next year he's probably going to have a down year. Plus he should get better offers to play CF somewhere. If he's out there a while struggling to find a deal, sure I'd take him as OF depth is always needed especially with an OF that includes Hicks and Giancarlo. Still I think Tauchman is the guy with Frazier being the depth. And then sign some minor league FAs or trade for AAA prospects to prepare for when the injuries pile up.
    A big problem is how injury prone the starting OF is. Hicks, Stanton, and Judge are really injury prone. So you do need the depth, but then you are spending resources on things that you shouldn't be (eg Gardner). It's unfortunate how badly Stanton's contract hurts this club, not just monetarily but roster flexibility wise. You could go Tauchman, Hicks, Judge OF. Voit and Ford DH/1B, but you can't.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JRRandall View Post
    Embarrassing. As long as there's a game to be played, this thread shouldn't be happening. I'm hoping this team doesn't give up as quickly as some of their fans seem to.
    Not only this but there are TWO threads now dedicated to the offseason. Can they be merged?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by JRRandall View Post
    Embarrassing. As long as there's a game to be played, this thread shouldn't be happening. I'm hoping this team doesn't give up as quickly as some of their fans seem to.
    So fans are expected to react in a manner most beneficial to the players? What consideration do the fans receive in exchange?

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    A big problem is how injury prone the starting OF is. Hicks, Stanton, and Judge are really injury prone. So you do need the depth, but then you are spending resources on things that you shouldn't be (eg Gardner). It's unfortunate how badly Stanton's contract hurts this club, not just monetarily but roster flexibility wise. You could go Tauchman, Hicks, Judge OF. Voit and Ford DH/1B, but you can't.
    Yea we basically need a ML OF waiting in reserve in AAA. Itll be curious what they do with Andujar, hes athletic enough to be solid at 1B possibly better than Voit and Ford, but if hes got any shot at playing a capable OF it might be worth a shot. Im betting on 1B/DH with hopefully only a very occasional 3B if things get real dicey.

Ultimately Im not worried about the position players though, if things go bad hitters at the deadline are always cheap. Acquire excess starting pitching in the offseason, role players at the deadline

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Ellsbury very unlikely to ever play again

Happ likely gone

Wasted money on Ellsbury ( but covered by insurance ? ), Horrible player/ contract.

Voit not too important, anybody can play first at the MLB level

Who am I missing that's gone ?
    Possibly Didi and Romine. Chapman could opt out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Cole is headed to the west coast.
    Like CC when he was a FA?

The Yankees are not the Rays. Give Cole an offer he couldn't refuse.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Forgot to add. Please get rid of Rothschild...

What most of us want & what Cashman will do though are two different things. He will put together another team that can hit and score runs in the regular season. No Ace. Make the playoffs and come up short again...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

NYYF Legend

Retired - CC
    FAs - Didi, Gardner, Betances, Romine
    Buyout - Encarnacion
    Opt out - Chapman
    Non-tender candidates - Bird, Adams, Barrett, Cortes
    Qualifying offer - Chapman if he opts out, wouldn't give it to Didi too much chance he accepts.
    They probably have several other non-tender candidates and I think they have between 4-8 players that have to be added to the 40 man to protect from rule 5.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    Man I hope your What They Will Do points are wrong. They really should:

- Sign Cole AND Wheeler or Strasburg;
    - Let Gardy, Edwin and Didi walk; replace Gardy with Tauchman/Frazier, move Torres to SS, DJLM to 2B, Voit/Ford at 1B, Andujar/Urshela at 3B;
    - Resign Betances to 2 year lower money deal;
    - Ship Happ out, eat (half?) of his $17 million contract to facilitate a trade.

Letting their FA's walk plus CC should free up around $30 million per year of the current payroll, so you arent adding too much payroll adding a Cole and Wheeler/Stras.

Im going to be pretty pissed if they dont get ATLEAST Cole this offseason. Not signing other big FA's in the past (Machado, Harper) was atleast understandable considering other options they have. They NEED an ace, and there are some available this offseason. Plus we know the Yanks have wanted Cole for forever. Id love it if they went all 2009 and sign two big starting pitchers and the best position player (Rendon).

Flex that Yankee muscle for once and put out a rotation of Cole, Strasburg, Tanaka, Sevy and Paxton.
    If George were the owner, I have no doubt he'd go all in to get Cole, Strasburg and Rendon.

Released Outright

I'd only sign Gardner for like one year and 6M, he's an extra part

If Chapman opts out, no biggie

Kind of stuck with Happ, and Stanton forever

I have no objections to trading Sanchez, and letting the lettuce guy and Higgashiroma take over.

Andujar should be moved off of 3B, or traded

It's easy to find a capable journeyman level for cheap to cover first base or a corner outfield spot

No need for a DH type like a David Ortiz, already have plenty of guys for that role like Stanton, Sanchez, Voit, Frazier, and many others

I expect a dogfight with Tampa for the division, maybe Boston as a factor also.

My early over/ under line is 96 wind, just enough to maybe win the division and likely get at least the #2 wild card.

Hal's goal is to field a team that can contend, nothing more ! It's just business not tradition to that bean counter.

AAA baseball is a lot better than MLB in many ways, far more enjoyable to attend and much more intimate and way cheaper, unfortunately I that doesn't exist in CT.

I went to tons of AAA games when I lived in Vegas, I've only been to 3 MLB games, one each in San Diego, Boston, and NY at the old stadium, I'll likely never go to another unless good tickets and a limo are comped !

Never been to an NFL or NBA game, no desire to go to one

My favorite sport is Jai alai, but the game is all but dead now. I was an excellent amateur player and practiced with pros and future pros

I'm starting to lose faith in being a Yankees fan after rooting for them since I was a little kid, I'm almost 56 now.

I wish I had an answer, but I expect no major improvements next year

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Like CC when he was a FA?

The Yankees are not the Rays. Give Cole an offer he couldn't refuse.
    To me.... if the Yankees don't wrap up a FA pitcher like Cole, you can be sure there will be mega disappointment at the end of the 2020 season. Much like we're likely to experience tonight.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.Hitman23

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    To me.... if the Yankees don't wrap up a FA pitcher like Cole, you can be sure there will be mega disappointment at the end of the 2020 season. Much like we're likely to experience tonight.
    Cashman would invite Cole to move out West because he can keep Haapless and Houston gets weaker. In Cashman's mind, everybody wins and NY gets closer to a WS by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    Well thanks to Sanchez striking out with the bases loaded and now tanka being him oldself giving up the long ball. I guess it's time to start the 2019 offseason thread ...
    I hope your loser mentality doesn't carry over to other aspects of your life. Sad.

NYYF Legend

Off season? Did I miss something waiting here at the Stadium for game 5 to start?

Get Cole in 2020 or face an easy death again. Its that simple. 8 years $300m.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Yanks are not going to pay what Cole wants or should I say...Boras wants.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Off season? Did I miss something waiting here at the Stadium for game 5 to start?
    The mods should have killed this thread within minutes of its creation. It's an insult.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    I hope your loser mentality doesn't carry over to other aspects of your life. Sad.
    The thread was more of a joke. Dont take things too seriously on a message board lol. Discussing the yankees is not a life or death situation.

I'm glad they won tonight and would love to get to see a game 7.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    The mods should have killed this thread within minutes of its creation. It's an insult.
    Totally agree with you.

Thread Information