+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
Results 576 to 600 of 745
  1. #576
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    That was on Roberts too...you got the important out to end the 7th from Kershaw, and you had your lights-out reliever in Maeda and although-not-godly-as-usual-but-still-very-good Jansen in your bullpen. With a 3-1 lead at home, start the 8th with Maeda and 9th with Jansen and chances are Dodgers are popping champagne around now.
    Yep..
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  2. #577

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Don't forget Stephen Strasburg as well.

    In my Nats fan ego: TAKE THAT BRYCE HARPER!
    Strasburg is nice too, but I just have a soft spot for Ryan Zimmerman who stuck with his team that drafted him with the first pick ever and the countless cellar-dweller times to finally make it.

  3. #578
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    Maeda (a former starter) has been great for the past month and struck out the side on 14 pitches...so they pull him after 1 inning to go to the ends of the earth with Joe Kelly? And ignore Jansen while Kelly is in meltdown mode?
    Seriously.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  4. #579
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    It's kinda similar to Buck Showalter not going to Zack Britton in the 2016 AL Wild Card Game where the Orioles lost to the Blue Jays in extras.

    If you want to go down, go down with your best in a tie or close game.
    But at least that game the Orioles were the road team and it's common that a manager won't use his closer in a tie game on the road. Torre in the 03 WS comes to.mind. But Dodgers were the home team so I have no idea why the closer was not used.

  5. #580
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    According to Baseball Almanac, there were 29 teams that hit 240 or more home runs in a single season.
    https://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/rb_hr7.shtml

    How many teams made the League Championship Series since MLB adopted the League Championship Series in 1969 and with the 2019 Houston Astros still to come? Six (2019 NYY, 1996 BAL, 2012 NYY, 2009 NYY, 2004 NYY and 2017 NYY)

    So far only one of those teams made the World Series. The 2009 NYY have the most home runs as a team in a single season for a MLB World Series Champion with 244.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

  6. #581
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I am not a hater of this guy or anything. But honestly I doubt there is any player in MLB history with a bigger gap between regular season and postseason performance. And it's not a small sample.
    Don Newcombe's got to make the list somewhere. Another Dodger pitcher.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  7. #582

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    Maeda (a former starter) has been great for the past month and struck out the side on 14 pitches...so they pull him after 1 inning to go to the ends of the earth with Joe Kelly? And ignore Jansen while Kelly is in meltdown mode?
    Well they PH Maeda in the bottom of the 8th so they had to replace him, but why Joe Kelly? Heck, give him the 9th but why the 10th? So far I can think of this many non-hindsight questions:
    1) Why did you keep Kershaw to start the top of 8th while leading 3-1 at home with Maeda & Jansen available?
    2) Why didn't you replace him with Maeda immediately after the first HR to Rendon?
    3) Why did you go for Kelly instead of Jansen on top of 9th when tied 3-3 at home?
    4) After you managed to get the top of 9th with Kelly, why did he get a second inning on the top of 10th with the 2-3-4 coming up, including Rendon/Soto who were red-hot?
    5) After he walked Eaton, why didn't you replace with him Jansen then?
    6) After the double to Rendon, even more why didn't you replace with him Jansen then?
    7) So you chose to IBB Soto...okay, why didn't you replace with him Jansen then?
    8) After the grandslam (which by then it was too late but whatever), why was Joe Kelly STILL in the game?


    ...Did I catch everything?

  8. #583
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    According to Baseball Almanac, there were 29 teams that hit 240 or more home runs in a single season.
    https://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/rb_hr7.shtml

    How many teams made the League Championship Series with the 2019 Houston Astros still to come? Six (2019 NYY, 1996 BAL, 2012 NYY, 2009 NYY, 2004 NYY and 2017 NYY)

    So far only one of those teams made the World Series. The 2009 NYY have the most home runs as a team in a single season for a MLB World Series Champion with 244.
    The 1961 Yankees hit 240 homers on the button and made the World Series.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  9. #584
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Well they PH Maeda in the bottom of the 8th so they had to replace him, but why Joe Kelly? Heck, give him the 9th but why the 10th? So far I can think of this many non-hindsight questions:
    1) Why did you keep Kershaw to start the top of 8th while leading 3-1 at home with Maeda & Jansen available?
    2) Why didn't you replace him with Maeda immediately after the first HR to Rendon?
    3) Why did you go for Kelly instead of Jansen on top of 9th when tied 3-3 at home?
    4) After you managed to get the top of 9th with Kelly, why did he get a second inning on the top of 10th with the 2-3-4 coming up, including Rendon/Soto who were red-hot?
    5) After he walked Eaton, why didn't you replace with him Jansen then?
    6) After the double to Rendon, even more why didn't you replace with him Jansen then?
    7) So you chose to IBB Soto...okay, why didn't you replace with him Jansen then?
    8) After the grandslam (which by then it was too late but whatever), why was Joe Kelly STILL in the game?


    ...Did I catch everything?
    Even if Roberts didn't trust Jansen. Pedro Baez, Julio Urias, Dustin May and Adam Kolarek all were watching from the bullpen when Kelly was clearly melting down.

  10. #585
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    According to Baseball Almanac, there were 29 teams that hit 240 or more home runs in a single season.
    https://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/rb_hr7.shtml

    How many teams made the League Championship Series with the 2019 Houston Astros still to come? Six (2019 NYY, 1996 BAL, 2012 NYY, 2009 NYY, 2004 NYY and 2017 NYY)

    So far only one of those teams made the World Series. The 2009 NYY have the most home runs as a team in a single season for a MLB World Series Champion with 244.
    1961 Yankees hit 240 HRs and won the WS.

  11. #586

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Even if Roberts didn't trust Jansen. Pedro Baez, Julio Urias, Dustin May and Adam Kolarek all were watching from the bullpen when Kelly was clearly melting down.
    Its been a while since we heard this phrase, but without exaggeration or hyperbole wasn't this the biggest, most obvious bullpen mismanagement by a manager since on par with Grade Little 2003?

  12. #587
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Don Newcombe's got to make the list somewhere. Another Dodger pitcher.
    Don pitched a few good post season games. Just no wins. He lost game 1 of the 49 series 1-0 on a 9th inning HR. Would not call that a bad pitched game.

  13. #588
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    The 1961 Yankees hit 240 homers on the button and made the World Series.
    I meant to say since MLB started the LCS era in 1969.

    But overall, it was the 1961 and 2009 Yankees who hit 240 or more HRs and won the World Series.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

  14. #589
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    1961 Yankees hit 240 HRs and won the WS.
    I meant to say since MLB started the LCS era in 1969.

    But overall, it was the 1961 and 2009 Yankees who hit 240 or more HRs and won the World Series.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

  15. #590
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Don pitched a few good post season games. Just no wins. He lost game 1 of the 49 series 1-0 on a 9th inning HR. Would not call that a bad pitched game.
    Kershaw has pitched some good postseason games too. He threw 8 innings of 2 hit shutout ball in last year's LDS. His postseason ERA before tonight was 4.33. Newcombe's is 8.59. The Henrich walkoff game was really the only good postseason game Newcombe pitched out of 5. Unless you want to credit him for the Bobby Thomson game, which was officially a regular season game.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  16. #591
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Kershaw postseason is not really that bad. The problem is that his regular season is truly one of the all-time best. Top 10 material.

  17. #592
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Wow. Except for the Yankees, I have been totally wrong about predicting this post season, especially if the Rays win tonight. And the way its going, that would not surprise me at all.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

  18. #593

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Kershaw postseason is not really that bad. The problem is that his regular season is truly one of the all-time best. Top 10 material.
    His postseason is exceptionally bad considering how great he is in the regular season. I think last year was the only year he had a decent postseason. Outside of that he has been a huge choker.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

  19. #594
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Post Season IP Leader

    Pettitte 276.2 IP (3.81 ERA)
    Glavine 218.1 IP (3.30 ERA)
    Smoltz 209.0 IP (2.67 ERA)
    Clemens 199.0 IP (3.75 ERA)
    Maddux 198.0 IP (3.27 ERA)
    Verlander 163.0 IP (3.20 ERA)
    Kershaw 158.1 IP (4.43 ERA)
    Lester 154.0 IP (2.51 ERA)
    Ford 146.0 IP (2.71 ERA)
    Lackey 144.0 IP (3.44 ERA)

    Lester should have a very interesting HOF case.

  20. #595

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Post Season IP Leader

    Pettitte 276.2 IP (3.81 ERA)
    Glavine 218.1 IP (3.30 ERA)
    Smoltz 209.0 IP (2.67 ERA)
    Clemens 199.0 IP (3.75 ERA)
    Maddux 198.0 IP (3.27 ERA)
    Verlander 163.0 IP (3.20 ERA)
    Kershaw 158.1 IP (4.43 ERA)
    Lester 154.0 IP (2.51 ERA)
    Ford 146.0 IP (2.71 ERA)
    Lackey 144.0 IP (3.44 ERA)

    Lester should have a very interesting HOF case.
    Wow. Pettitte has the most IP? Didnt know that. I also thought his PS ERA was a bit lower. He was such a great postseason big game pitcher.

    How many IP does Tanaka have?
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

  21. #596
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    The Nats/Expos will play in a best 4 out of 7 series for the first time in franchise history. They become the last MLB franchise to play in a 7 game series.

  22. #597
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Wow. Pettitte has the most IP? Didnt know that. I also thought his PS ERA was a bit lower. He was such a great postseason big game pitcher.

    How many IP does Tanaka have?
    Pettitte had a couple stinkers too. Specifics escape me but when you make the postseason as much as he did its bound to happen.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  23. #598
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Pettitte had a couple stinkers too. Specifics escape me but when you make the postseason as much as he did its bound to happen.
    Game 6 against the D Backs comes to mind.

  24. #599
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Strasburg is nice too, but I just have a soft spot for Ryan Zimmerman who stuck with his team that drafted him with the first pick ever and the countless cellar-dweller times to finally make it.
    Yeah, really happy for him and the entire Nats team which finally got the monkey off their backs after being one of the best teams of the past decade to not make a NLCS.

    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Don't forget Stephen Strasburg as well.

    In my Nats fan ego: TAKE THAT BRYCE HARPER!
    Juan Soto > Bryce Harper

    No matter how this series turns out, I really really really really really hope the Nats pay Anthony Rendon and don't let him walk.

  25. #600

    Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

    Juan Soto is quickly becoming one of the best players in baseball, at age 20!

    He is on Mike Trout level projections based off his first 2 years.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Talontsi98

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts