+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12 52 59 60 61 62 63 LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1558
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: The 2019 MLB Postseason Thread

I couldn't understand how Dave Roberts put Joe Kelley in game 7 and AJ Hinch put Harris in and NOT Gerritt Cole. (esp Harris after yesterday). He tie the game. The announcers said he wanted Cole to start the next inning?

I waited to hear the for AJ post game news conference but maybe there isn't one. He was warming up. I am sure I will read something tomorrow.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Spring training just 4 months away. Anyway I can concentrate on watching Islanders hockey games now until baseball season starts up again.
    It’s kind of depressing that in the mlb at bat app the next game on the schedule is February 21 now. After months of baseball almost every day, to wait 4 months? Yuck.

ironically the nationals and Astros play each other on their first game of spring training. A little less on the line, I guess.

Btw heck of a time to get back into hockey- Isles on that 7 game win streak!

NYYF Legend

Nats will break the 96 Yankees record by winning their 8th postseason road game.
    The 1996 Yankees also won 8, so a tie
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Amen. I really enjoyed watching the Red Sox lose in 1986 as well.
    Not me. I actually rooted for the Sox in that series. The 1986 Mets set standards for douchiness and unlikeability that will stand forever. They made the current Astros look like the 1980 USA hockey team from a likeability standpoint.

NYYF Triple Crown

So the team with great starting pitchers and a so so bullpen wins the series. Cashman please take note. Super bullpen theory does not work.
    On the other hand, one of the reasons the Astros lost was because of an inferior bullpen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    On the other hand, one of the reasons the Astros lost was because of an inferior bullpen
    The Nationals had the better bullpen because they put their starters to the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Not me. I actually rooted for the Sox in that series. The 1986 Mets set standards for douchiness and unlikeability that will stand forever. They made the current Astros look like the 1980 USA hockey team from a likeability standpoint.
    I've never been a Mets hater, but I do see your point about that particular team. (Not sure if you are including Gooden and Strawberry among your villains, but we should remember that they both later became Yankees darlings.)
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

I was at 2 of those games rooting for the Red Sox. Really did not dislike the Sox as much back then. They always lost to the Yankees and had not won since 18. Besides Mets fans were very arrogant back then.

NYYF Legend

Same here. I pulled for the Red Sox in 86 because at my school Mets/Yankees was a way bigger rivalry. I hated on Mets fans with a passion, also rooting for the Dodgers in the 88 NLCS. Me and a classmate had a ball taunting Mets fans after the Dodgers won.

My hatred towards the Sox really started around 90-91 when I met actual Red Sox fans in college and Mike Greenwell was running his mouth.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Same here. I pulled for the Red Sox in 86 because at my school Mets/Yankees was a way bigger rivalry. I hated on Mets fans with a passion, also rooting for the Dodgers in the 88 NLCS. Me and a classmate had a ball taunting Mets fans after the Dodgers won.

My hatred towards the Sox really started around 90-91 when I met actual Red Sox fans in college and Mike Greenwell was running his mouth.
    Same here.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Has anyone checked in with Bryce Harper today?

I'm sure he's happy for his friends, but I can't help but remember his slip up at his Phillies introduction back in March.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Has anyone checked in with Bryce Harper today?

I'm sure he's happy for his friends, but I can't help but remember his slip up at his Phillies introduction back in March.
    Bryce Harper is the John Tavares of Baseball. Right Mike?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Bryce Harper is the John Tavares of Baseball. Right Mike?
    Not even close. Tavares lied for 2 years about wanting to stay an Islander. Then he begged them not to trade him at the deadline. Then even after the Isles hired a good GM and a top coach he turned down the Isles to go to his boyhood team. Where he was planning to go all along. I don't remember Harper publishing a photo of him as a boy sleeping in Phillies PJs like Tavares did.

NYYF Legend

The warm reception that Nats fans gave Trump in G5 and G7 just makes me even happier that the Nats won.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    The warm reception that Nats fans gave Trump in G5 and G7 just makes me even happier that the Nats won.
    You just know if the Astros won there would have a real flowery tweet about their great fans. (sorry for the hijack)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I've never been a Mets hater, but I do see your point about that particular team. (Not sure if you are including Gooden and Strawberry among your villains, but we should remember that they both later became Yankees darlings.)
    Strawberry more so than Gooden at that particular time, but really it was more about guys like Backman and Dykstra and Hernandez (with the "C" on his uniform) and Knight, bunch of punks. The manager had that Weaver-Oriole arrogance as well. Plus, even though he's been sanctified some by his much-too-early death, at the time it was a little nauseating watching Camera Carter tackle every reporter in sight getting his name in the media.

People forget but that's the team that invented the "curtain call" after home runs. After a tie-breaking homer in the 8th, I guess that's fine, but these guys would do it on a homer that made a 9-1 game 10-1. They still piss me off.

I was at 2 of those games rooting for the Red Sox. Really did not dislike the Sox as much back then. They always lost to the Yankees and had not won since 18. Besides Mets fans were very arrogant back then.
    This. That was part of it too for me. On Long Island, Yankee fans were a decided minority back then and Mets fans lorded it over us relentlessly. I even had a few incidents back then of stuff being thrown at me from moving cars for wearing a Yankees cap.

The gimmicky nature of it that made a baseball fan out of people that had never watched a single inning before- ie your friendís mom talking about the cute names like Wally and Mookie, the Teufel shuffle. Exaggerated hardnose stuff like Dykstra diving on every catch, diving into 1st, diving into the dugout. One Keith Hernandez is an old school leader, the other is ratting out other players in the cocaine hearings.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    It took until game 7 of the WS, but the weakness finally did rear its head.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Strawberry more so than Gooden at that particular time, but really it was more about guys like Backman and Dykstra and Hernandez (with the "C" on his uniform) and Knight, bunch of punks. The manager had that Weaver-Oriole arrogance as well. Plus, even though he's been sanctified some by his much-too-early death, at the time it was a little nauseating watching Camera Carter tackle every reporter in sight getting his name in the media.

People forget but that's the team that invented the "curtain call" after home runs. After a tie-breaking homer in the 8th, I guess that's fine, but these guys would do it on a homer that made a 9-1 game 10-1. They still piss me off.

This. That was part of it too for me. On Long Island, Yankee fans were a decided minority back then and Mets fans lorded it over us relentlessly. I even had a few incidents back then of stuff being thrown at me from moving cars for wearing a Yankees cap.
    I probably would have felt differently if I lived closer to the city I guess. I lived near the Delaware Water Gap off I-80 in PA. Most people were Yankees or Phillies fans where I lived. I didn’t watch Mets games on TV either. I didn’t like either team, but couldn’t get past the Sox hatred to pull for them. I was more happy the Sox lost than the Mets winning.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I'd like to address this rooting for a team in the World Series crap I've been seeing the last couple of pages of this thread.

Crap is my word. You can root how you want.

I never root for a team in the World Series. Any World Series that does not include the Yankees is dead to me. The season is over when the Yankees complete their last game.

There was no World Series this year. Hopefully next year will be different.
    There's a sinister plot a brewin'

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'd like to address this rooting for a team in the World Series crap I've been seeing the last couple of pages of this thread.

I never root for a team in the World Series. Any World Series that does not include the Yankees is dead to me. The season is over when the Yankees complete their last game.

I try to find reasons to root for a team in the world series. It doesn't always happen, though.

But I try to never actively root against a team. I find it to be effort that's better placed doing something else.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

It was not just the Mets players. The organization was just arrogant as all hell even before that team. The ran an ad campaign back in 80 saying the Mets were the wholesome team NY wants. Trying to knock the "Bronx Zoo" Yankees. .

NYYF Legend

I see what you mean. It's kind of like an NBF title game without the Dayton Hippos. Who really cares?

NYYF Legend

I was actively rooting against Houston this World Series. That they lost made it OK.
    Last year I was actively rooting against Boston, that one wasn't as enjoyable.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Of course it wasnít the same without the Yankees in the WS, but I just wanted to see big-headed Houston lose! And they did

Thread Information