+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 73 FirstFirst ... 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: 2019 Postseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    I was thinking that too.
    Agree entirely. His Guardian Angel, or something, got him through that game. The announcers kept talking about how lively his "stuff" was. I did not see it. The shell-shocked Twins let him slip off the hook. The Astros would have massacred him.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees61 View Post
    I agree with replacing Voit with Hicks - but who then comes out of the lineup if Hicks is in CF? I'd rather see a rusty Hicks than a rusty Stanton, but there's no way Stanton comes out.

In this rust competition, surely it is Hicks who, by now, would be rustier than Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Iím pulling for Tampa because Iíd rather go to a game on Saturday than on Tuesday.
    Same. Though, home field is nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Severino did not look good. He got through it, but a lot of it was luck if you want to be honest about it. Aside from the last inning, he had no control whatsoever.
    Correct. No command whatsoever, but it was encouraging to see him fight through it and give up 0.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'm glad he's not hurt (reportedly), but I'll say it again. These celebrations are stupid.

Celebrate when you win the World Series. When there are no more games to play. Not before.

It's stupid like 3rd grade graduation.
    Baseballs version of the playoff participation trophy. Celebrate making the postseason, and every series win.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Professional mlb baseball is hard and the play-offs are even more difficult. Life is too damn short and a baseball career is even shorter so they should celebrate the achievement of advancing in each round. Just don't go overboard about it.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

In burning Verlander for game 4 and Cole in Game 5, how does this setup the rotation in the event they get to the ALCS?

G1: Greinke
    G2: Verlander
    G3: ???
    G4: Cole
    G5: Greinke
    G6: Verlander
    G7: ???

do I have this right?

NYYF Legend

G3 is Tuesday so that would be Cole on Regular rest. no?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    In burning Verlander for game 4 and Cole in Game 5, how does this setup the rotation in the event they get to the ALCS?

do I have this right?
    Wouldn't Cole be on normal rest for game 3? Off day/G1/G2/Off day?

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post

do I have this right?
    I believe Cole would be on regular rest for game 3.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by donniesoftball View Post
    I believe Cole would be on regular rest for game 3.
    well that isn't ideal... but i guess it's better than having him be able to go game 1

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Professional mlb baseball is hard and the play-offs are even more difficult. Life is too damn short and a baseball career is even shorter so they should celebrate the achievement of advancing in each round. Just don't go overboard about it.
    The only time I find it overboard is celebrating making the one game wild card game. Seems a bit ridiculous. Division Clincher? Ok. Series clincher? Ok. Just making the Wild Card game? Nah.

No one is talking the other side of the coin...

If TB wins: ???

Yankee Stadium
    G1- Morton
    G2- Chirinos

Trop
    G3- Glasnow
    G4- Snell/Yarborough
    G5- Morton

Yankee Stadium
    G6- Chirinos
    G7- Glasnow

And if Houston wins:

Minute Maid PArk
    G1-Greinke
    G2-Verlander

Yankee Stadium
    G3-Cole
    G4-???????
    G5-Greinke

Minute Maid Park
    G6-Verlander
    G7-Cole

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    G3 is Tuesday so that would be Cole on Regular rest. no?
    Yes. Only game four would have a ?. Games 5-7 would be the games 1-3 pitchers all on regular rest.

NYYF Legend

Twins are now 0-5 in Post Season series against the Yankees tying them with the Brookkyn Dodgers who also lost their first 5 Post Season series to the Yankees. On the other side Yankees have lost their first two post season series to four teams. NY Giants, Detroit, Angels and the Astros. Yankees have so far never lost their first 3 Post Season series against the same opponent.

NYYF Legend

BB the other side is the Rays have deeper pen than Astroís and more guys they trust and do a lot more mix and matc. Astros are top heavy with big 3 and 2 relievers they really trust.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    No one is talking the other side of the coin...

If TB wins: ???

Yankee Stadium
    G1- Morton
    G2- Chirinos

Trop
    G3- Glasnow
    G4- Snell/Yarborough
    G5- Morton

Yankee Stadium
    G6- Chirinos
    G7- Glasnow

And if Houston wins:

Minute Maid PArk
    G1-Greinke
    G2-Verlander

Yankee Stadium
    G3-Cole
    G4-???????
    G5-Greinke

Minute Maid Park
    G6-Verlander
    G7-Cole
    I think everyone wants to avoid Houston's pitching however I definitely think there is some element of "be careful what you wish for" by rooting for the Rays. SSS alert but our offense actually has a higher OPS against Houston than it does against Tampa this year:
    vs. Houston: .758
    vs. Tampa: .739

Our OPS at Tropicana Field this year is just .634. And our RHB have just a .586 OPS at the Trop. Our RHB have a .692 OPS at Minute Maid.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I think everyone wants to avoid Houston's pitching however I definitely think there is some element of "be careful what you wish for" by rooting for the Rays. SSS alert but our offense actually has a higher OPS against Houston than it does against Tampa this year:

Our OPS at Tropicana Field this year is just .634. And our RHB have just a .586 OPS at the Trop. Our RHB have a .692 OPS at Minute Maid.
    They are both good teams capable of winning a 7 game series against anyone. That said Houston is simply better overall. Tampa was +113 RD on the season, Houston was +280.

Tampa usually needs to beat you with good pitching and defense, Houston can beat you with good pitching and defense but they are also more likely to bludgeon you with their offense than Tampa is.

That's not to say Tampa can't explode for 10 runs like they did the other night, just that of the 2 teams Houston is far more likely to do so in any given game.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    They are both good teams capable of winning a 7 game series against anyone. That said Houston is simply better overall. Tampa was +113 RD on the season, Houston was +280.

Tampa usually needs to beat you with good pitching and defense, Houston can beat you with good pitching and defense but they are also more likely to bludgeon you with their offense than Tampa is.

That's not to say Tampa can't explode for 10 runs like they did the other night, just that of the 2 teams Houston is far more likely to do so in any given game.
    Agreed. Of the two I'd rather face Tampa but either way it's going to be a tough series.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'm glad he's not hurt (reportedly), but I'll say it again. These celebrations are stupid.

Celebrate when you win the World Series. When there are no more games to play. Not before.

It's stupid like 3rd grade graduation.
    But how else will they promote the “Postseason” and coveted “Wild Card Champions” gear?

I get celebrating the division - its a long season. I get the LCS - you’ve actually won your respective league championship. I get the World Series - goes without saying.

But, simply making the playoffs via wildcard, winning the wildcard game, and the division series there’s really no need.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF HOF

Iím partially rooting for TB simply because of 15 (which I was there for) and 17. Hate the Astros.

But yeah Tampa has sick pitching. I think we can shut down that offense though, as we have for the most part this season. Think Yanks scouting department probably has figured them out more than Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheGameEpisode2 View Post
    I’m partially rooting for TB simply because of 15 (which I was there for) and 17. Hate the Astros.

But yeah Tampa has sick pitching. I think we can shut down that offense though, as we have for the most part this season. Think Yanks scouting department probably has figured them out more than Houston.
    Yeah, Houston has the big names, but overall their pen isn’t as good as TB’s. I want Houston out just because they are Houston. But neither one will be easy to beat, and their parks are both horrific in terms of them getting an advantage. The Trop in the playoffs is a different animal.

Also have to respect what TB has accomplished with the relatively small payroll, crappy stadium and fanbase that doesn’t want to go there during the regular season.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post

I havent looked, but Im willing to bet that is the case due to TBs pen being tougher than Houstons.

And its not just the pitching we need to look at. The lineups are tilted much more in favor of the Astros.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    I havent looked, but Im willing to bet that is the case due to TBs pen being tougher than Houstons.

And its not just the pitching we need to look at. The lineups are tilted much more in favor of the Astros.
    No doubt. I focused on the pitching because no one wants to face Verlander and Cole twice in a 7 game series but our offense has actually performed worse against Tampa's pitching. Like I said earlier, there are no easy opponents from this point forward.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

--> around the horn w ESPN ....

Marly Rivera
    ESPN Writer

During a conference call today, Aaron Boone said that both CC Sabathia and Aaron Hicks are being considered to join the ALCS roster. Boone said Sabathia "looked sharp," and sounded more like a lock-in. For Hicks, the team is considering what role he would play and the lack of at-bats since August. Also said Yankees have made no decision on rotation for the ALCS. In terms of injuries, Britton (ankle) Chapman (hand) are both fine after Game 3 injury concerns.

Thread Information