+ Reply to Thread
Page 106 of 109 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2717
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Re: 2019 Postseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I agree getting burnt by Altuve there just can't happen. When Chapman got down 2-0, you need to give him two more outside the zone. If he chases and gets himself out then fine, if not you go get Marisnick. This would be something like the equivalent of the Astros allowing themselves to get beat by Gleyber with Tyler Wade on deck. If Marisnick gets a hit and I lose? Fine I'll accept it.
    Right, and Smoltz was all over this on the broadcast. HEY there's a base open (even tho Springer was just on first), you don't want Altuve to beat you and the count is 2-0. Can't give in w Marisnick on deck. PLUS the fact that Chapman was clearly hit a wall after he had gotten 2 outs. Get to the new batter and regroup. It would have been nice to have AB sprint out there and give Chappy this message real time.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I'm willing to bet the odds of Altuve getting an XBH are substantially lower than their defensive replacement getting a single.
    This is what kills me. The "odds." You gotta use your eyes sometimes, man. Chapman clearly lost the zone. I'm taking my chances that Marisnick won't square up an 83 MPH hanger vs Altuve doing the same.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    This is what kills me. The "odds." You gotta use your eyes sometimes, man. Chapman clearly lost the zone. I'm taking my chances that Marisnick won't square up an 83 MPH hanger vs Altuve doing the same.
    Yes. I made the comparison earlier of pitching to Altuve there with Marisnick on deck, would be the equivalent of the Astros pitching to Gleyber there with Tyler Wade on deck.

So I ask everyone.....would you be hoping they go after Gleyber there or do you prefer Wade with a runner on 2nd? I know what my answer is. I am thinking the inning is over if Wade comes up.

If Chapman is on point, I trust him. But you could see that he lost it. The only way he's getting out of that inning is if Altuve hits a liner at someone or just misses a pitch and hits it to the track or something of that nature. You know, kinda like what Gardner did in the 6th and what Hicks did in the 7th (the Brantley DP).
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Altuve is one of the best fastball hitters in baseball. Chapman could not control his fastball. I totally understand throwing sliders. He hung one. That was that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    Altuve is one of the best fastball hitters in baseball. Chapman could not control his fastball. I totally understand throwing sliders. He hung one. That was that.
    But I'm not sure how you get beat with your 2nd best pitch on 2-0 with Jake Marisnick on deck.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    But I'm not sure how you get beat with your 2nd best pitch on 2-0 with Jake Marisnick on deck.
    It was a 2-1 count.

The pitch before he snapped off a nasty slider that Altuve took right over the plate.

Boone summed it up in post game. It wasn't an intentional walk situation. You pitch like you are ahead in the count. He just made a mistake and hung a pitch. Would you feel better if it was a fastball? As I recall in 2017 Altuve rifled a Chapman 101 mph fastball right up the middle and then scored on the Correa double to win game 2 of the ALCS.

NYYF Legend

It was a 2-1 count.

The pitch before he snapped off a nasty slider that Altuve took right over the plate.

Boone summed it up in post game. It wasn't an intentional walk situation. You pitch like you are ahead in the count. He just made a mistake and hung a pitch. Would you feel better if it was a fastball? As I recall in 2017 Altuve rifled a Chapman 101 mph fastball right up the middle and then scored on the Correa double to win game 2 of the ALCS.
    IDK, if he gets Altuve it's a great gutsy call. If Altuve beats him he's blasted for not going after Marisnick. If he walks Altuve and Marisnick flairs on for a game winning single you say how could he walk the winning run to 2B.

I would have been happier with any pitch out of the zone and try to get Altuve to chase and get himself out but he hung a slider at a really bad time.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Triple Crown

The Yankees have struck out getting into the World Series for the last 10 years despite pouring more than $2 billion into player salaries, The Wall Street Journal reports. True, the team won more regular season games than any other, but this only reinforces they're the kind of franchise their fans once mocked: “Great in every way but the one that counts.” Adding insult to injury, this is the first time in a century they've gone a full calendar decade without so much as appearing in the Fall Classic.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    The Yankees have struck out getting into the World Series for the last 10 years despite pouring more than $2 billion into player salaries, The Wall Street Journal reports. True, the team won more regular season games than any other, but this only reinforces they're the kind of franchise their fans once mocked: “Great in every way but the one that counts.” Adding insult to injury, this is the first time in a century they've gone a full calendar decade without so much as appearing in the Fall Classic.
    It was like the 80. Only mane the WS in 81 strike year. Outspent everyone in the decade and best regular season record but no WS tittles to show.

That said this Yankees team is set up way better than those Yankees teams heading into the 90s.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

It was a 2-1 count.

Boone spelled out his lack of situational awareness as loudly as humanly possible right then and there.

You can count the # of hitters in the sport on a hand that is missing digits who were better equipped to win that game than Altuve.

WHOOOSH.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Boone spelled out his lack of situational awareness as loudly as humanly possible right then and there.

You can count the # of hitters in the sport on a hand that is missing digits who were better equipped to win that game than Altuve.

WHOOOSH.
    No gross errors like last ALDS but lack of situational awareness or game feel evident:

— game 2 quick hook on rolling Green
    — game 2 not extending Britton to second inning
    — game 6 why the FFFFF was Didi not playing in
    — game 6 OTP running out there and cautioning, do NOT give this guy anything to hit

I would feel better about it if I felt there was a light on in the attic and Chappy then just messed up, vs a get me over cement mixer slider to try and even the count.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    No gross errors like last ALDS but lack of situational awareness or game feel evident:

— game 2 quick hook on rolling Green
    — game 2 not extending Britton to second inning
    — game 6 why the FFFFF was Didi not playing in
    — game 6 OTP running out there and cautioning, do NOT give this guy anything to hit

I would feel better about it if I felt there was a light on in the attic and Chappy then just messed up, vs a get me over cement mixer slider to try and even the count.
    I'd like to add one
    - game 6 quick hook on rolling Happ who was the only reliever stretched out to go several innings.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I'd like to add one
    - game 6 quick hook on rolling Happ who was the only reliever stretched out to go several innings.
    Well, the odds ......

I agree with you.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Despite losing 4 games to 2, the Yankees outperformed the Astros in this series in just about every other major stat.

BA - Yankees .214, Astros .179
    OPS - Yankees .673, Astros .600
    RUNS - Astros 22, Yankees 21
    ERA - Yankees 3.13, Astros 3.44
    WHIP - Yankees 1.152, Astros 1.200

This series could have gone either way. Just a couple of lucky breaks and we win games 2 and 6. The Astros are a better team overall, but not by much.
    eh, kind of. The problem is all the positive stuff was concentrated in game one.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    eh, kind of. The problem is all the positive stuff was concentrated in game one.
    And most of the positive stuff for Astros was in 2 games where they hit 3-3R HR and a 2R- HR. The 2 biggest differences were Astros played better D and hit more of their HRs with men on base.
    Baseball is life;

It’s taken me over 24 hours to overcome my overwhelming desire to burn Jose Altuve in effigy. The 2019 Yankees achieved so much after overcoming so many obstacles! Arguably, if German had been available in the rotation, they could have gone all the way.

Having said all that, the WS pitching contest between Scherzer/Strasburg/Sanchez and Cole/Verlander/Greinke should be a compelling one. Go Nats!!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AussieYank View Post
    It’s taken me over 24 hours to overcome my overwhelming desire to burn Jose Altuve in effigy.
    In effigy? Pretty tame overwhelming desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I'd like to add one
    totally agree on this. he used Happ like a pure pen guy and he could have given more length. hey, you never know how it turns out, but this way you avoid a gassed Kahnle and win the pen length battle -- one we also lost bigly in game 2.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    totally agree on this. he used Happ like a pure pen guy and he could have given more length. hey, you never know how it turns out, but this way you avoid a gassed Kahnle and win the pen length battle -- one we also lost bigly in game 2.
    Or Happ does what he did all year, Start the game! Maybe he doesn't give up those 3 runs that Green did. Then Green can be used later in the game.
    Last edited by Donnybaseball72; 10-22-19 at 09:49 PM.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Made no sense to do a bullpen game when you had a starter in Happ available.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I was thoroughly impressed by watching both Cole and Scherzer pitching so deep into last night's game. Scherzer coming back out to pitch the 5th, even though he had already thrown close to 100 pitches through 4, was refreshing to see especially after the Nats took that lead in the 5th. Feels like Boone would have gone to the bullpen at that point. Then, Cole staying in the game after that rocky 5th inning, and pitching two more innings was terrific to see. Again, feels like Boone would have used at least two or three more bullpen arms by that time. Having a super bullpen is great. But the temptation to always replace your starters at the first sign of trouble is one of my least favorite trends in the game, at least with this team.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Made no sense to do a bullpen game when you had a starter in Happ available.
    Why is nobody talking about this? Have a short hook but at least let Happ start it. They must not have trusted him at all to start.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I was thoroughly impressed by watching both Cole and Scherzer pitching so deep into last night's game. Scherzer coming back out to pitch the 5th, even though he had already thrown close to 100 pitches through 4, was refreshing to see especially after the Nats took that lead in the 5th. Feels like Boone would have gone to the bullpen at that point. Then, Cole staying in the game after that rocky 5th inning, and pitching two more innings was terrific to see. Again, feels like Boone would have used at least two or three more bullpen arms by that time. Having a super bullpen is great. But the temptation to always replace your starters at the first sign of trouble is one of my least favorite trends in the game, at least with this team.
    Is Scherzer a FA this year or is it just Cole? I wouldn't mind either one but Scherzer showed me something last night. Grinder can get it done when he doesn't have his best stuff. Yankees need that!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JRRandall View Post
    Is Scherzer a FA this year or is it just Cole? I wouldn't mind either one but Scherzer showed me something last night. Grinder can get it done when he doesn't have his best stuff. Yankees need that!
    Cole is FA
    strasburg can opt out
    Scherzer has like 3 years left on his deal.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information