+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 111 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 Postseason Thread

Could you imagine if the A's were able to pitch Montas in the postseason this year? Montas and Manaea might go toe to toe with Verlander and Cole.

Rays have Glasnow and Morton too. Dangerous 1-2s. Put a team in a hole quick.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Could you imagine if the A's were able to pitch Montas in the postseason this year? Montas and Manaea might go toe to toe with Verlander and Cole.

Rays have Glasnow and Morton too. Dangerous 1-2s. Put a team in a hole quick.
    Next year the A's could really challenge the Astros if Cole leaves. In addition to those 2 Luzardo and Puk will be competing for rotation spots and I think they have a few more in the upper minors who are close.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Next year the A's could really challenge the Astros if Cole leaves. In addition to those 2 Luzardo and Puk will be competing for rotation spots and I think they have a few more in the upper minors who are close.
    If the A's got Cole, they'd be very very scary. Then again, so would the Yankees.
    Cole
    German
    Severino
    Paxton
    Tanaka

Dayum. Imagine Tanaka as your #5 innings eater.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    If the A's got Cole, they'd be very very scary. Then again, so would the Yankees.
    Cole
    German
    Severino
    Paxton
    Tanaka

Dayum. Imagine Tanaka as your #5 innings eater.
    No way the A's spend on Cole. I was just commenting that Astros would be weaker and A's have some young arms coming up.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Aís doing that thing where they choke in the postseason.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I think I'll watch some of the A's / Rays game tonight. Both pretty interesting and potentially dangerous teams. I think Oakland has a better chance of beating the Astros, so I'd like to see them beat the Rays tonight.

Astros got to go down. I don't like them.
    "I don't like them"
    As a fan of baseball how can you not like the Astros. They were for years the laughing stock of the NL. Moved to the AL and won the WS 2 years ago and are currently the best team in baseball. An organization that values great pitching and goes out and gets what they need. Couple that with some of the best young talent in the game and a manager that is actually competent.

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    "I don't like them"
    As a fan of baseball how can you not like the Astros. They were for years the laughing stock of the NL. Moved to the AL and won the WS 2 years ago and are currently the best team in baseball. An organization that values great pitching and goes out and gets what they need. Couple that with some of the best young talent in the game and a manager that is actually competent.
    I wouldn't mind them as much had they remained in the NL, lol.

NYYF Legend

"I don't like them"
    They actively tanked for 5-7 years to intentionally improve their draft position, while drawing 0 television ratings and playing in front of an empty relatively new stadium. Itís pretty easy to dislike them.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Perfect.

Regarding the Astros, how in the world did they let Morton walk? I figure they had to have seen something in his medicals or what not that they didn't like, but it seems their evaluation of him in the offseason was way off. They didn't even give him a QO.

They actively tanked for 5-7 years to intentionally improve their draft position, while drawing 0 television ratings and playing in front of an empty relatively new stadium. Itís pretty easy to dislike them.
    The same could be said of the Ray's. The Astros were in complete disarray and built a monster thru the draft and made trades other teams passed on to improve their mound presence. Even if Cole leaves after this year, replacements will be arriving. Bottom line is Nolan Ryan has a feel for pitching which should surprise no one. As a fan I admire what they have accomplished in that market.

NYYF Triple Crown

Regarding the Astros, how in the world did they let Morton walk? I figure they had to have seen something in his medicals or what not that they didn't like, but it seems their evaluation of him in the offseason was way off. They didn't even give him a QO.
    Well the Astros won 107 games without him. Thatís why they let him walk.

Astros missed on a lot of those early draft picks. I think only 1 of the 3 #1 overall picks worked out for them. Their entire pitching staff is from FA / Trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    We won 104 without Severino... does he make a difference?

Looks like unless the Rays blow it in the bottom of the 9th, that they'll win.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Clearly they wanted another starter, which is why they traded for Greinke. With Morton, they probably wouldn't have needed to do that.

My point is, the Astros are usually pretty good with starting pitching, so to see them just let Morton walk like they did and the season he just had. Just weird a bit.

NYYF Legend

That still bothers me. It bothered me when the Brewers went to the NL. Astros had some good seasons in the NL but were never a power like now.

NYYF Legend

Can't wait for the real games to start on Friday.

The Astros went 3-4 against the Rays this season, including losing three out of four during a season-opening series at Tropicana Field, where they have not played well at all.

Since 2015, the Astros have a .206/.275/.328 slash line at Tropicana Field.

Every team has their kryptonite team. Rays might be that for the Astros.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

"I don't like them"
    Why am I required to like them for that? Or any other fan for that matter.

Also, you've mostly described about 10 teams too.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Well, not this round.
    Well, yeah.

NYYF Legend

"I don't like them"
    Sounds like you're an Astros fan coming out of the closet, lol. You're making a case for respecting them, which I do. I can respect them and still dislike "the enemy".

One reason I don't like them has already been mentioned. The organization purposely tanked for several years in order to get higher draft picks as part of their rebuild, without regard for their fan base. That's like paying full price to see a Broadway show starring a bunch of stand-ins. Should teams be allowed to do that? Unrelatedly, did you know that MLB paid Astros' owner Jim Crane $70M to agree to move over to the AL? HmmmmÖ.

Another reason I don't like them is because I feel threatened by them. I know they are probably the best team in MLB and that in itself is a bit intimidating. Perhaps it will be that much more enjoyable if/when the Yankees defeat them.

But mostly the reason why I don't like them is the swagger they display and the smug way they carry themselves. Perhaps this is in my own mind, but they don't seem to be a humble, respectful lot. An excellent team like this should carry themselves with more professionalism.

I can't really cite any specific examples, but it's just a feeling I get when I watch them play. Of course it may simply be a biased opinion lol.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by CinematicFusion View Post
    The Astros went 3-4 against the Rays this season, including losing three out of four during a season-opening series at Tropicana Field, where they have not played well at all.

Since 2015, the Astros have a .206/.275/.328 slash line at Tropicana Field.

Every team has their kryptonite team. Rays might be that for the Astros.
    The 107-win Astros lost season series to five teams, including the Rays, and also including the Pittsburgh Pirates and Chicago White Sox and Cincinnati Reds, which only illustrates how some days people may just not feel like playing baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CinematicFusion View Post
    The 107-win Astros lost season series to five teams, including the Rays, and also including the Pittsburgh Pirates and Chicago White Sox and Cincinnati Reds, which only illustrates how some days people may just not feel like playing baseball.
    Good info. It shows that any MLB team can beat any MLB team. But itís a bit insulting to say that thatís because the players didnít feel like being there. I definitely wouldnít assume thatís the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Sounds like you're an Astros fan coming out of the closet, lol. You're making a case for respecting them, which I do. I can respect them and still dislike "the enemy".

One reason I don't like them has already been mentioned. The organization purposely tanked for several years in order to get higher draft picks as part of their rebuild, without regard for their fan base. That's like paying full price to see a Broadway show starring a bunch of stand-ins. Should teams be allowed to do that? Unrelatedly, did you know that MLB paid Astros' owner Jim Crane $70M to agree to move over to the AL? HmmmmÖ.

Another reason I don't like them is because I feel threatened by them. I know they are probably the best team in MLB and that in itself is a bit intimidating. Perhaps it will be that much more enjoyable if/when the Yankees defeat them.

But mostly the reason why I don't like them is the swagger they display and the smug way they carry themselves. Perhaps this is in my own mind, but they don't seem to be a humble, respectful lot. An excellent team like this should carry themselves with more professionalism.

I can't really cite any specific examples, but it's just a feeling I get when I watch them play. Of course it may simply be a biased opinion lol.
    There have been "enemy" teams that I not only respected but greatly enjoyed. I didnít like when they beat the Yankees, but it happens, and I loved watching these teams play baseball. The Royals in the '70s, and the Mariners and Indians of the '90s come to mind.

Thread Information