View Poll Results: Who's missing out on the playoffs?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • A's

4 12.12%
  • Astros

0 0%
  • Indians

23 69.70%
  • Rays

5 15.15%
  • Twins

0 0%
  • Yankees

1 3.03%
+ Reply to Thread

Which of these AL teams will miss the playoffs?

I'm going to go out on a limb and declare Boston and Texas dead for the purposes of this poll. Please choose which of these other six teams will not make the playoffs.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Re: Which of these AL teams will miss the playoffs?

Think you could have left off the Yankees and Astros.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Oh no, that would miss the point. There are people posting in another thread about how the Yankees haven't locked anything up yet. Maybe some people think the Yankees will miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Oh no, that would miss the point. There are people posting in another thread about how the Yankees haven't locked anything up yet. Maybe some people think the Yankees will miss out.
    I think the only question that remains is if the Yankees will be the 1 or 2 seed in the AL. The East is over.

As far as the poll, definitely going with Cleveland as the odd team out.

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    I think the only question that remains is if the Yankees will be the 1 or 2 seed in the AL. The East is over.
    There are some still concerned about the "nightmare scenario" of the Twins getting the #1 seed, with the Yankees as the 3 seed playing Houston in the ALDS.

NYYF Legend

I was the 8th voter in this poll. Somewhat surprisingly, the Indians were unanimous at this point. You have to figure someone would pick Tampa or the A's.

NYYF Legend

There are some still concerned about the "nightmare scenario" of the Twins getting the #1 seed, with the Yankees as the 3 seed playing Houston in the ALDS.
    This. Yankees have the division but who they will face in the first round is still very much undecided right now.

NYYF Triple Crown

Better to beat the Astros sooner rather than later. It'll be easier to beat the Astros in 5 games than 7. But likelier the Yanks will face the WC play-in winner.

A doubleheader sweep today and a Oakland win will give the Yankees a 2 game in the loss column lead. If Boone does not start playing games by playing AAA players and make the push at end we should have the number 1 seed.

NYYF Legend

This. Yankees have the division but who they will face in the first round is still very much undecided right now.
    The twins passing both the yanks and Astros at this point is statistically very improbable. I mean mathematically itís possible still, just extremely unlikely.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LarryAck View Post
    A doubleheader sweep today and a Oakland win will give the Yankees a 2 game in the loss column lead. If Boone does not start playing games by playing AAA players and make the push at end we should have the number 1 seed.

One can easily make the argument back in April./May, when all the injuries really hit, that playing guys like German, Urshela, Tauchman, Estrada, and more recently, Ford, that Boone was using AAA players.

Sure seems to have worked out quite nicely. In fact, it has worked out to the best record in Baseball, as this is being typed.

Like a poster stated elsewhere, 146 games and the sky is falling, the way some folks post around here.

Oakland has a supremely favorable schedule following the conclusion of the Houston series. I think it pretty much comes down to Tampa and Cleveland and I selected CLE.
    Supports: smart spending, roster flexibility and depth. Does not support: reckless spending and extreme prospect hugging.

Quote Originally Posted by secret_face View Post
    Oakland has a supremely favorable schedule following the conclusion of the Houston series. I think it pretty much comes down to Tampa and Cleveland and I selected CLE.
    Strength of schedule was the deciding factor for me as well -- I picked Cleveland. But it's worth pointing out that the Indians and Twins have three more head-to-head games in Cleveland. The Indians are four games back in the division, so a sweep would make up three of those games. That will be a big series to watch.

For what it's worth, here's how the numbers guys are calling it:

Baseball Reference: OAK 83.9%, TB 63.3%, CLE 53.9%
    Fangraphs: OAK 75.3%, TB 71.6%, CLE 54.0%
    Five Thirty-Eight: OAK 78%, TB 63%, CLE 61%

So far one person has voted for the Yankees. Any more takers?

NYYF Legend

Which is kind of hilarious, seeing that no one has voted for the Twins, and the Tribe are just 3 back in the loss column, with 3 remaining with the Twins. That one could get real tight soon.

Ok who voted for the Yankees, come on, admit it..

I mean come on.. I get people being concerned that we might get beat once we get there, but if we did not win a single game from now until the end of the season, we still probably make the playoffs.. I am assuming someone is just fooling around, if someone feels that way seriously.. well... got nothing then...
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post

I mean come on.. I get people being concerned that we might get beat once we get there, but if we did not win a single game from now until the end of the season, we still probably make the playoffs.. I am assuming someone is just fooling around, if someone feels that way seriously.. well... got nothing then...
    You can click on the number of votes to see exactly who voted for each team.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post

It was me. Done as a reverse jinx to the people here posting things like the Rays are going to win out and we haven't clinched anything yet. I find it hard to believe even the most alarmist of fans would believe things like that.

NYYF Legend

I miss when there were no playoffs, just two leagues and the winner of each facing off against each other.

I love baseball, but greed has diminished its beauty. The season is simply too long and takes away a lot of what used to be glamor. Solution: Go back to two leagues and no wild cards etc or three leagues with a round robin playoff.

I love ST but why do we need 30-31 ST games???????

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I miss when there were no playoffs, just two leagues and the winner of each facing off against each other.

I love baseball, but greed has diminished its beauty. The season is simply too long and takes away a lot of what used to be glamor. Solution: Go back to two leagues and no wild cards etc or three leagues with a round robin playoff.

I love ST but why do we need 30-31 ST games???????

Andy
    I could accept the first playoff format because the addition of expansion teams meant going to 4 divisions. But I have always disliked any of these WC formats.

Thread Information