+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: ALDS Pitching Plan Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I like your choices for games 1-3. But no way I am giving CC a start in a 5 game series. Hopefully Severino will be back and can at least start game 4 and give us 5 innings.

I trust CC one time through the lineup.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BigYankeeUnit View Post
    I trust CC one time through the lineup.
    Perhaps his role should be to open for Paxton?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

I would go with:

Tanaka
    Paxton

Then I would take German/CC/Sevy/Green and create two pairs to create Opener/Piggyback scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    My plan is to enjoy the rest of the regular season first.

yup id rather clinch then worry about it But even if we did it matters who we play. If we Play Cle then a lefty if Tampa a righty and this all assumes the team with the most injuries ever and be in 1st does not have anyone go down in over a month yet so ill just go with a lefty vs Cle and a righty vs Tampa if that is how it ends but who is to say who will be healthy.

NYYF Legend

The Yanks' top four relievers (Chapman, Britton, Ottovino & Kahnle) have managed to stay healthy throughout the season:

Chapman - 52 games/49.2 IP
    Britton - 55 games/51.2 IP
    Ottovino - 58 games/54 IP
    Kahnle - 58 games/51 IP

All four are within the top 11 in MLB in games entered with their team leading. So the formula is, when the starters can give the team 5IP and the team has a lead, these guys will be the difference makers. Adding Betances & Green to this mix gives Boone max flexibility in October.

In the ALDS, because of the two days off allotted, no way any of these guys can pitch three days in a row, so they should all be rested and ready for each game.

The question is, can these starters give the Yankees five games of 5IP?

German
    Tanaka
    Paxton
    Haap
    CC
    Severino

How about this plan:

German - Game 1 (Fri)
    Tanaka - Game 2 (Sat)
    CC opens for Paxton - Game 3 (Mon)
    Severino opens for Haap - Game 4 (Tue)
    Tanaka - Game 5 (Thu)

Does this get them to the ALCS ?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Deivi and Severino out of the pen throwing filth for 4 innings.

NYYF Legend

Still want CC starting a playoff game? He once was great but really you can't trust him to even go three innings against a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    The Yanks' top four relievers (Chapman, Britton, Ottovino & Kahnle) have managed to stay healthy throughout the season:

Chapman - 52 games/49.2 IP
    Britton - 55 games/51.2 IP
    Ottovino - 58 games/54 IP
    Kahnle - 58 games/51 IP

All four are within the top 11 in MLB in games entered with their team leading. So the formula is, when the starters can give the team 5IP and the team has a lead, these guys will be the difference makers. Adding Betances & Green to this mix gives Boone max flexibility in October.

In the ALDS, because of the two days off allotted, no way any of these guys can pitch three days in a row, so they should all be rested and ready for each game.

The question is, can these starters give the Yankees five games of 5IP?

German
    Tanaka
    Paxton
    Haap
    CC
    Severino

How about this plan:

German - Game 1 (Fri)
    Tanaka - Game 2 (Sat)
    CC opens for Paxton - Game 3 (Mon)
    Severino opens for Haap - Game 4 (Tue)
    Tanaka - Game 5 (Thu)

Does this get them to the ALCS ?
    If German is showing no ill effects when the postseason starts, I think you have to turn him completely loose- no innings restraints, stays in rotation....

The Yankees are not making any decisions yet. If C.C. does not show more than he did yesterday, he is not even on the roster. Maybe Happ is not either, depending on whether he can improve significantly the rest of the way.

And they do not know what they will get with Sevy. We can hope that the starters are Sevy, Tanaka, German, and Paxton, but we do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    The Yankees are not making any decisions yet. If C.C. does not show more than he did yesterday, he is not even on the roster. Maybe Happ is not either, depending on whether he can improve significantly the rest of the way.

And they do not know what they will get with Sevy. We can hope that the starters are Sevy, Tanaka, German, and Paxton, but we do not know.
    CC makes the roster barring injury or some sort of revelation from some of the bubble guys. They'll want a "bulk" guy ready in case one of the regular starters gets chased early or he may even be used in short relief in innings with lefties coming up. Plus he's got the experience and ability to at least give you all he has. Its not worth as much anymore but its worth more than guys that aren't really better and might choke. Don't get me wrong though he's not in line for key innings right now unless something goes wrong. But at worst he's worth the security blanket last man option.

Happ I think is going to be hard pressed to make the roster. If they had the starters now I'd say let him try to work out the pen just to see if it could work, but I think we're going to just continue to get the same from him the rest of the year meaning he probably has little to no postseason use.

But you're certainly right, no need to make decisions now. Still another month to go.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    CC makes the roster barring injury or some sort of revelation from some of the bubble guys. They'll want a "bulk" guy ready in case one of the regular starters gets chased early or he may even be used in short relief in innings with lefties coming up. Plus he's got the experience and ability to at least give you all he has. Its not worth as much anymore but its worth more than guys that aren't really better and might choke. Don't get me wrong though he's not in line for key innings right now unless something goes wrong. But at worst he's worth the security blanket last man option.

I think this is a really good assessment of where CC might be in October. In a game in which the Yankees are already behind but in which they wanna keep the game within reach for the offense, or in which they need someone to face a couple of lefties in a lower leverage situation, CC is someone I'd trust over several others (Cortes, Cessa, Happ, Im waiting to see how Loaisiga looks over the next few outings...).

Happ I think is going to be hard pressed to make the roster. If they had the starters now I'd say let him try to work out the pen just to see if it could work, but I think we're going to just continue to get the same from him the rest of the year meaning he probably has little to no postseason use.

But you're certainly right, no need to make decisions now. Still another month to go.
    Yes, perhaps; we'll see if Happ gets second-half hot
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

NYYF Cy Young

German's start in Game 4 of the Fenway debacle earns him #1 or #2 start. I think Boone will be afraid of offending Tanaka's delicate ego by giving him the #1, so it is Tanaka for #1, German for #2. No one knows how sharp Sev is going to be until we see him play in September, until then, I'd pencil him in for third. Whether we face Cleveland or Houston, we are going to very likely use the bullpen in the first three games, but that's what they are there for. I would throw a bullpen game for game #4-baseball historians be damned and Tanaka and all hands on deck for #5.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    German's start in Game 4 of the Fenway debacle earns him #1 or #2 start. I think Boone will be afraid of offending Tanaka's delicate ego by giving him the #1, so it is Tanaka for #1, German for #2. No one knows how sharp Sev is going to be until we see him play in September, until then, I'd pencil him in for third. Whether we face Cleveland or Houston, we are going to very likely use the bullpen in the first three games, but that's what they are there for. I would throw a bullpen game for game #4-baseball historians be damned and Tanaka and all hands on deck for #5.
    Agree with your thinking on Tanaka/German, but the rest is why I've avoided this thread - hard to discuss Severino or the rest of the rotation until we see what the next month or so brings. If Severino looks good, he'll start, even if he is capped at 5 innings or whatever. If Betances comes back, imagine him pitching a couple of innings to start a game and then going to Paxton.

Unfortunately, the staff is in flux right now, and it's going take some patience to watch it play out. Hopefully, things break the right way and the Yankees can get some decent starts and ride their bullpen through the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    What has Tanaka done to demonstrate a delicate ego? I think his whole career has demonstrated just the opposite.

NYYF Triple Crown

I am more concerned how we are signing these pitchers off waivers (Rosenthall?) when we should have at least picked up a reliever. I think I saw Sevy is in Tampa this week and we should see him in SWB in Sept. Being optimistic German, Sevy, Tanaka, with Green/Paxton. My problem is Tanaka seems to need rest and Sevy will be "rusty" (not 100%). Hopefully Betrances and Monty can help in the pen. September will be big for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I am more concerned how we are signing these pitchers off waivers (Rosenthall?) when we should have at least picked up a reliever. I think I saw Sevy is in Tampa this week and we should see him in SWB in Sept. Being optimistic German, Sevy, Tanaka, with Green/Paxton. My problem is Tanaka seems to need rest and Sevy will be "rusty" (not 100%). Hopefully Betrances and Monty can help in the pen. September will be big for me.
    Can Sevy pitch in SWB in their playoffs in September? I donít know what their rules are.

I think itís more likely that heís not far away from rehab starts in SWB during the next 10 days and that he will spend September pitching for the Yankees.

This article (link below) is a week old, but it does a good job of laying out a rough schedule for Severinoís return as a starter. The news has only been positive since the article was written.

To make this schedule work, I think the thing to do is to think of October as opening day of the season, think of this point in August as February when pitchers and catchers report, and think of September as March.

https://yanksgoyard.com/2019/08/10/y...eturn-starter/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Can Sevy pitch in SWB in their playoffs in September? I donít know what their rules are.

I think itís more likely that heís not far away from rehab starts in SWB during the next 10 days and that he will spend September pitching for the Yankees.
    Sevy could pitch in the IL playoffs if they wanted him to.

In the playoffs, the Yankees will use anyone who has been pitching well at this time of year. Despite his first inning problems, Paxton has a 3.80 ERA in 4 starts in August, 3 of which have been excellent. If he keeps that up down the stretch or even improves on it a little bit, he will definitely be in their postseason plans, probably as a game 4 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Sevy could pitch in the IL playoffs if they wanted him to.
    Thanks.

We should be trying an opener for Paxton before October to see if that helps him get rolling.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

I think some of you are being too optimistic on Sevy, Betances and Monty. None have even began their rehab starts and they will need most of the 30 days allowed since it is essentially their Spring Training. Sevy will need 4-5 starts and some of the minor league teams could get knock out of the first round of their playoffs. The longer it takes to begin their rehab assignments the more likely that they will be rehabing in September Yankees games. Sweeney Murti was just on WFAN discussing this decreasing window to get these pitchers ready for the majors.

This is why I cannot understand how anyone is penciling in Sevy onto the playoff rotation or even counting on Betances or Monty. I am erring on the side of caution regarding their October controbutions.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I think some of you are being too optimistic on Sevy, Betances and Monty. None have even began their rehab starts and they will need most of the 30 days allowed since it is essentially their Spring Training. Sevy will need 4-5 starts and some of the minor league teams could get knock out of the first round of their playoffs. The longer it takes to begin their rehab assignments the more likely that they will be rehabing in September Yankees games. Sweeney Murti was just on WFAN discussing this decreasing window to get these pitchers ready for the majors.

This is why I cannot understand how anyone is penciling in Sevy onto the playoff rotation or even counting on Betances or Monty. I am erring on the side of caution regarding their October controbutions.
    While I agree we shouldn't pencil in Betances or Sevy, it is increasingly looking like they may have a role (perhaps a reduced role). It's certainly not a guarantee, but there is definitely the possibility. I don't think the Yankees will have any issue giving Sevy innings in September with the big league club.

I doubt Montgomery, though, is going to pitch meaningful innings. Guys coming back from TJ surgery typically take some time to regain command; I don't think the playoffs are the time to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post

Okay, if this were spring training as you suggest, and there were 6 and a half weeks to get pitchers ready for opening day, would you be expressing any fears that the pitchers wouldn’t be ready for opening day? And Sevy began his throwing program more than a month ago with nothing but positive reviews as he’s moved forward. I don’t see any reason not to be optimistic about him being ready for the ALDS.

As for Betances, he only needs to be able to throw an inning at a time. I’m looking for Monty just to be a lefty out of the pen.
    Last edited by BillyJack; 08-20-19 at 07:11 PM.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Okay, if this were spring training as you suggest, and there were 7 and a half weeks to get pitchers ready for opening day, would you be expressing any fears that the pitchers wouldnít be ready for opening day? And Sevy began his throwing program more than a month ago with nothing but positive reviews as heís moved forward. I donít see any reason not to be optimistic about him being ready for the ALDS.

As for Betances, he only needs to be able to throw an inning at a time. Iím looking for Monty just to be a lefty out of the pen.
    Yes because as I said the minor league season is ending in 2 weeks plus the playoffs (only Trenton has qualified so far). If this were Spring Training they would need to be pitching real games now to be ready for, not just tossing a ball off the mound. The playoffs start in 6 1/2 weeks not 7 1/2. I won't be optimistic until they announce the rehab assignments.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Thread Information