+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Official 2019 Magic Number Thread

Quote Originally Posted by yesteryearman View Post
    Yanks have worst 10 game record (5-5) of any playoff teams or contenders. Astros, who have also clinched everything, are 9-1. Sure glad the Yanks are going into playoffs red hot. I guess because everybody else is still trying to win games they will be dead tired and Yanks will be rested and ready......yea, right........
    Against the Rays Yankees are auditioning pitchers who might not even factor in the first round. So two runs down in the first inning with the Rays ace pitcher on the mound. Despite getting probably their best overall performances by all of our starting pitchers Yankees 7-7 in their last 14 games.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Except that 2000 team was coming off winning the WS 3 out of the previous 4 seasons. And they did come close to losing the DS series.
    Yeah, it reminds me, meaning there are similarities (not that the situation is identical). The fan base is panicking over a rough finish even though it's new season starting October 3rd.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Yeah, it reminds me, meaning there are similarities (not that the situation is identical). The fan base is panicking over a rough finish even though it's new season starting October 3rd.
    Yeah. But less panic back in 2000. That team was a proven winner. Current team is not. I am referring to the Post Season.

NYYF Legend

Astros only need to win one of their last 4 games to clinch HFA. Need the Dodgers to lose today. That would give them the same record as the Yankees with 3 games to go. A tie of course, HFA goes to the Yankees.

Astros only need to win one of their last 4 games to clinch HFA. Need the Dodgers to lose today. That would give them the same record as the Yankees with 3 games to go. A tie of course, HFA goes to the Yankees.

So the Astros only need to win 12 more games to be world champs........thats 4 for Verlander, 4 for Cole, and 4 for Greinke..........sounds doable........and they will probably set a ML record for postseason strikeouts by a pitching staff..........

NYYF Legend

So the Astros only need to win 12 more games to be world champs........thats 4 for Verlander, 4 for Cole, and 4 for Greinke..........sounds doable........and they will probably set a ML record for postseason strikeouts by a pitching staff..........
    Well technically they only need to win 11, but they need to win the right 11 just like everyone else.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Well technically they only need to win 11, but they need to win the right 11 just like everyone else.

Technically you are correct........it's just that the Astros' everyone else is better than everyone else's everyone else........all this makes you realize just how good the Red Sox were last year, to beat the Astros.

NYYF Legend

Technically you are correct........it's just that the Astros' everyone else is better than everyone else's everyone else........all this makes you realize just how good the Red Sox were last year, to beat the Astros.
    Astros are favorites for a reason this year. But I donít think you understand small sample variance.
    Baseball is life;

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Welp. Still alive I suppose......at least until Saturday.

NYYF Legend

I figure the Giants can win one game from the Dodgers this weekend. So Yankees will need to sweep the Rangers to get HFA against the Dodgers if both teams make it to the WS.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Eleven is eleven in the post-season. How one win is more right than another is beyond me.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Eleven is eleven in the post-season. How one win is more right than another is beyond me.
    Actually the WC teams need to win 12. But that does not apply to the Astros or the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    He said the Astros only needed to win 12 more games when they had 5 regular season games remaining. I was merely correcting him that it was 11 and not 12 and the 11 needed to be in the post season as the remaining regular season games didn't really matter. If they went 5-0 in those games they will still need to win 11 more for WS title.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Dodgers won last night ending any chance of the Yankees getting HFA against them. By the way a little over a week ago I said the Yankees better win a few games because the Twins could run the table to finish the season. Good thing the Yankees managed to eck out a few since the Twins have lost exactly 1 game the last week and a half.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

He said the Astros only needed to win 12 more games when they had 5 regular season games remaining. I was merely correcting him that it was 11 and not 12 and the 11 needed to be in the post season as the remaining regular season games didn't really matter. If they went 5-0 in those games they will still need to win 11 more for WS title.
    Theme song for # 28 --> The Eleven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE5VdsuGWJg

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    Theme song for # 28 --> The Eleven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE5VdsuGWJg
    Who knows, we might end up calling Tarpley "St. Stephen."

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Who knows, we might end up calling Tarpley "St. Stephen."
    Nice !! Now I guess I have to root for him to make the roster.

PS do we have anyone named Dupree in the minors ??

Cheers,

Thread Information