+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    2019 New York Giants Thread

    Sigh.

    https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/7...-really-begins
    Three days into training camp, the team that traded Odell Beckham Jr. away this offseason is down three receivers. On Thursday, the first day of camp, Corey Coleman tore his ACL. Now, the favorite to be the teamís no. 3 wide receiver and handle kickoff return duties will spend the year on injured reserve. During the same practice, no. 1 wideout Sterling Shepard fractured his thumb attempting to catch a ball on a curl route. Itís the third time he has fractured the thumb. While the injury will not require surgery and he is expected to return after a few weeks, it will cost him most of his first training camp as the teamís no. 1 receiver.


    Two days later, offseason free-agent acquisition Golden Tate was suspended four games for violating the NFLís policy on performance-enhancing drugs. Tate, who earlier this decade was critical of teammates who fail drug tests, attributed the failed test to a fertility treatment. (He has said he will appeal the suspension, but is unlikely to win.) Roughly 72 hours into training camp, the Giants receiver depth chart was blown to smithereens.
    And, never forget:
    The Giants exiled their best defensive tackle and their best safety and then traded the best receiver in franchise history to fill the holes at defensive tackle and safety.

  2. #2
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    I'll still pull for the Giants but I expect them to be a cluster#### until Gettleman is gone. I was willing to give him a chance til his draft this year which looks like it will haunt them for years to come.

  3. #3
    I Hate Analytics SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Golden Tate was an odd signing anyway. Why did Gettleman sign a receiver similar to Shepard?

  4. #4
    The King dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Is it bad that I am hoping for 0-16 this year, and as much embarassment towards the organization as possible? I want whatever it takes to get this clown Gettleman out of here.

  5. #5
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Paris

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Is it bad that I am hoping for 0-16 this year, and as much embarassment towards the organization as possible? I want whatever it takes to get this clown Gettleman out of here.
    I'm torn. I find myself rooting for Jones now, because the prospect of watching them pass on a QB last year, taking Jones too early and then declining to pick a QB in next year's loaded draft is too painful to contemplate. That said, if my (and everyone else's) take on that pick was correct, they are going to suffer for years from naming him GM.

  6. #6
    I Hate Analytics SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Early word on Jones is that he looks pretty good. He can make all the throws and is athletic. Now, we will see when the games start, but the talent is there.

    I'm rooting for early losses so he can play.

    This is not a playoff team let alone a SB team. As far as I'm concerned, starting Eli is a waste of time. When you pick a QB 6th overall, he needs to play. And by many accounts, Jones was supposedly the most QB prospect ready.

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    nhyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Early word on Jones is that he looks pretty good. He can make all the throws and is athletic. Now, we will see when the games start, but the talent is there.

    I'm rooting for early losses so he can play.

    This is not a playoff team let alone a SB team. As far as I'm concerned, starting Eli is a waste of time. When you pick a QB 6th overall, he needs to play. And by many accounts, Jones was supposedly the most QB prospect ready.
    Didn't the Giants start Eli when he was a rookie halfway through the season even though they had a decent record at the time? I would hope they do the same thing for Jones if he's even remotely ready.

  8. #8
    I Hate Analytics SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Didn't the Giants start Eli when he was a rookie halfway through the season even though they had a decent record at the time? I would hope they do the same thing for Jones if he's even remotely ready.
    I doubt it. They have a completely different agenda when it comes to Eli.

  9. #9
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Paris

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    I doubt it. They have a completely different agenda when it comes to Eli.
    I really hope they don't stall Jones's development because they decided to start Geno Smith in a meaningless game a couple of years earlier.

  10. #10

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan View Post
    Didn't the Giants start Eli when he was a rookie halfway through the season even though they had a decent record at the time? I would hope they do the same thing for Jones if he's even remotely ready.
    They were 5-4 when they made the switch. I would be stunned if the team was at 5-4 with Eli and then replaced him with Jones (barring injury).

  11. #11
    I Hate Analytics SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    I have them 5-11.

    I think they lose the toss up games: Jets/Bucs/Lions 2 on the road. Not sure about the Bengal road game. It's late in the season and by then Jones is likely starting.
    Split with Redskins
    Lose all the games to the rest of the division.

    Most of the wins home games vs bad teams.

    The defense is young and not a lot of depth. No pass rushers.

    Offense is Barkley. Lack of depth at WR.

  12. #12
    The King dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    I'll say 3-13. And I still think Jones will be a complete bust. Personally I hope they bottom out, Jones proves he is bad, and then they take Lawrence in the draft in 2021. Yes I think tough times are ahead for awhile. This organization is in a very bad place.

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    It's unfortunate the teams is bad as it looks like a fairly favorable schedule.

  14. #14

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    I actually think they will win about 5-6 games. And they will spin it like a positive because they are trash up top.
    Eli will start every game this season...which, again, they will spin as a positive.

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Anybody watch the game yesterday?
    Any takeaways besides it looked like neither team decided to play any defense in the 1st pre-season game? At one point I think the box score showed the teams combined to go 27-31 passing or something crazy like that.

  16. #16
    I Hate Analytics SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Hope DJ8 continues to proves us all wrong.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ec2YYokTI

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Hope DJ8 continues to proves us all wrong.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ec2YYokTI
    there will be two recurring themes in this video - the tremendous amount of pressure that Jones receives and Duke receivers dropping balls. LOL

  18. #18

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I'll say 3-13. And I still think Jones will be a complete bust. Personally I hope they bottom out, Jones proves he is bad, and then they take Lawrence in the draft in 2021. Yes I think tough times are ahead for awhile. This organization is in a very bad place.
    I'd be happy if they went 0-16, because I think it's going to take an embarrassment on that scale to finally get it through Mara's head how screwed up all the org is from all these Good Old Boys Club hires

  19. #19
    I Hate Analytics SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    there will be two recurring themes in this video - the tremendous amount of pressure that Jones receives and Duke receivers dropping balls. LOL
    That video was made in July. His assessment of Jones was on display against the Jets. If it weren't for the storm, we would have seen more.

    I hope Jones gets the bulk of the snaps in pre-season. Don't really need to see the rest of the QB's.

  20. #20
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    That video was made in July. His assessment of Jones was on display against the Jets. If it weren't for the storm, we would have seen more.

    I hope Jones gets the bulk of the snaps in pre-season. Don't really need to see the rest of the QB's.
    The thing is Jones looks like a guy who can be a decent game manager, but not someone you take with the 6th pick in the draft. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out great but I have a feeling the G-men will stink until Gettelman is gone.

  21. #21
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Paris

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Baker Mayfield really needs to learn to keep his mouth closed. I have to say, while I had a strong reaction against the Jones pick (and Gettleman's arrogance more generally), I find myself increasingly rooting for him to surprise everyone... and for the Browns to disappoint.

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-blows-my-mind

  22. #22

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Baker Mayfield really needs to learn to keep his mouth closed. I have to say, while I had a strong reaction against the Jones pick (and Gettleman's arrogance more generally), I find myself increasingly rooting for him to surprise everyone... and for the Browns to disappoint.

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-blows-my-mind
    I'm of the opposite mind. Let the Giants burn in their hubris and Mayfield and OBJ win a SB. Only way things will change with this org is for them to be completely embarrassed, like when Eli was benched. So 16 weeks of being the laughing stock of the NFL may get Mara to reevaluate

  23. #23
    I Hate Analytics SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    DJ8 continues to impress. Next step is to impress in real games.

  24. #24
    The King dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

    I wish we can just play him from the get go. Nobody wants to see washed up Eli.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts