+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Devoted Member

Re: 2019 New York Giants Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    You really think that? He was projected as a 3rd rounder at best by most of the draft boards I saw. He only rose after it was rumored the Giants were thinking about taking him.

Why is he being called Danny Dimes?
    I was critical of the Giants for taking him at 6 (and not at 17), but looking at him right now, it's quite possible that other teams saw the talent like the Giants did. The public scouting reports were talking about arm strength issues, which seem ridiculous at this point, so I am not going to put much credence in the other hearsay.

Gettleman's job is secure for quite a while, I'd say.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    This one of the things that sold me on Jones. Had he gone to a big college program, he would probably goes number 1. No one would have been going crazy about the selection. It makes a huge difference playing with NFL talent. His numbers would be similar to what Haskins put up at Ohio.
    Even so, it takes balls for a GM to reach and be so connfident in selecting him against that sea of naysayers. That is some kind of talent evaluation job on Gettleman's part

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Even so, it takes balls for a GM to reach and be so connfident in selecting him against that sea of naysayers. That is some kind of talent evaluation job on Gettleman's part
    Or maybe being a cracker just works out sometimes.
    http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8674598

Drafting quarterbacks is not an exact science. I remember some fans laughing at the Eagles when they traded up for Wentz. If anyone knew Mahomes was this good, he goes 1st. Wilson in the 3rd round, Rodgers late 1st. And on and on...

Lets see if the Giants got lucky/fortunate. So far it looks like it.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Once Jones was taken the Broncos traded out of the 10th spot to 20th. That is a key sign that he would not have lasted till 17th. The Broncos make no bones about needing to draft a QB.
    I guess we'll never know, but I don't think any other team would have taken Jones over Haskins if they were both on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    It's been one game. Let's hold off on the coronation.

I hope he's great and is the face of the franchise for the next 12+ years, but the flip flopping that has gone on after one game is hilarious.

Also, let's not forget we lost Saquon until Thanksgiving.

Bengals and Dolphins and Broncos, all passed on Haskins. So there's a few QB needy teams that didn't like him THAT much. Snyder really wanted him cause he went to school with his son. The rumors around draft time was the Redskins/Gruden liked Jones.

Haskins was surprisingly sliding (surprising to me at least). I do wonder if Snyder wasn't so thirsty for him, would he had slid out of the 1st round.

I'm not hearing good things about Haskins. Sounds like he has a poor work ethic.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Bengals and Dolphins and Broncos, all passed on Haskins. So there's a few QB needy teams that didn't like him THAT much. Snyder really wanted him cause he went to school with his son. The rumors around draft time was the Redskins/Gruden liked Jones.

Haskins was surprisingly sliding (surprising to me at least). I do wonder if Snyder wasn't so thirsty for him, would he had slid out of the 1st round.

I'm not hearing good things about Haskins. Sounds like he has a poor work ethic.

I'll be the first to admit I wanted Haskins over Jones. But I'll be happy to be very wrong if Jones excels and Haskins flames out.

NYYF Legend

After Case Keenum threw an interception, Jones' first drive at home was a 32 yard drive that took 5:15. At that amount of yards per second, a 75 yard drive would have taken 12:18! According to the Pro-Football-Reference Play Index, in the 20 years from 1999 through 2018, there was only one touchdown drive of 32 or fewer yards that took at least 5:15. Now, it happened two weeks in a row after New Orleans had a 25 yard touchdown drive that took 5:22 in a 33-27 win at Seattle. From 1999 to the present, the previous longest time for a Giants touchdown drive of 32 or fewer yards was 4:06, and the longest time for one of those drives at home was 3:16.

Flag City!!

NYYF Legend

I have a rules question. Let's say the quarterback hands the ball to a running back. While he is behind the line of scrimmage, the running back doesn't think he can make it back to the line of scrimmage. Can he throw the ball out of bounds to make it an incomplete pass rather than a loss? If he can't do that, what is the penalty for doing that? Is it possible for a player other than the quarterback to be called for intentional grounding?

Edit: The Giants won 24-3. The teams had 4 turnovers each, and it was the 648th time from 1940 to the present that both teams had at least 4 turnovers. Turnovers used to be a lot more common. It was the first time this year and 14th time in the last 10 years (including some but not all of 2009) that both teams had at least 4 turnovers. It was the 76th time from 1940 to the present that both teams had at least 4 turnovers and one team scored 3 or fewer points, and it was the first time that happened since Atlanta won 6-3 hosting Arizona on September 26, 2004. As of that date, Eli Manning had 1 game with 9 passes attempted. He wasn't in that game, but his experience when that game was played is close to Jones' experience now.
    Last edited by EvanJ; 09-29-19 at 03:02 PM.

Devoted Member

Good to see another win, but that's a bad Washington team. Not sure how much to take from that game.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Good to see another win, but that's a bad Washington team. Not sure how much to take from that game.
    They said the same thing about Tampa and they went out and destroyed the rams, but I get your point, Washington isnít very good at all .

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    That the Giants are better than the Red Skins?

And whether of not Gettelman was right about Jones still remains to be seen, but looks like he might have been smart to pass on Haskins.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    I have a rules question. Let's say the quarterback hands the ball to a running back. While he is behind the line of scrimmage, the running back doesn't think he can make it back to the line of scrimmage. Can he throw the ball out of bounds to make it an incomplete pass rather than a loss? If he can't do that, what is the penalty for doing that? Is it possible for a player other than the quarterback to be called for intentional grounding?.
    He certainly can throw it away at that point, but intentional grounding applies just as it would to the QB. The rule applies to the thrower of a forward pass, not a specific position - if he doesn't satisfy the conditions to avoid grounding, he'd be flagged (or should be flagged - one should never assume competence on the part of the officials).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    He certainly can throw it away at that point, but intentional grounding applies just as it would to the QB. The rule applies to the thrower of a forward pass, not a specific position - if he doesn't satisfy the conditions to avoid grounding, he'd be flagged (or should be flagged - one should never assume competence on the part of the officials).
    I havenít kept up on rule changes over the years, but I remember in the botched snap NYG/SF playoff game, the announcers suggesting the holder should have thrown it away because they were kicking on 3rd down and could have another shot. The following day, the NFL said that wouldnít have been allowed because only a QB can throw it away.

Or something like that. Maybe kicking situations are entirely different.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I haven’t kept up on rule changes over the years, but I remember in the botched snap NYG/SF playoff game, the announcers suggesting the holder should have thrown it away because they were kicking on 3rd down and could have another shot. The following day, the NFL said that wouldn’t have been allowed because only a QB can throw it away.

I don't know all the details but maybe only QB is protected outside the tackle box from IG if pass goes past line of scrimmage. That is while other may legally throw a forward pass they don't the IG protect outside tackle box, they have to throw in area of eligible receiver. But I'm guessing to be honest.

I haven’t kept up on rule changes over the years, but I remember in the botched snap NYG/SF playoff game, the announcers suggesting the holder should have thrown it away because they were kicking on 3rd down and could have another shot. The following day, the NFL said that wouldn’t have been allowed because only a QB can throw it away.

He could have thrown it away (if he'd had time to do so without it being grounding), but he couldn't spike it, because it was a long snap. You can only spike the ball to stop the clock when you're under center.

He could have thrown it away (if he'd had time to do so without it being grounding), but he couldn't spike it, because it was a long snap. You can only spike the ball to stop the clock when you're under center.
    That's what it was. And the announcers had no idea.

That's what it was. And the announcers had no idea.
    It could happen in a game again, and the announcers (and fans) would probably still have no idea. (I didn't remember until you brought it up).

Jones looked pretty solid against a top defense. Missed a couple of sure TDs but also made some really good throws with little time and some dropped passes.

Outside of the first two weeks, the OL hasn't been good.

Engram has a sprained MCL, and of course Shepard and Gallman are in the concussion protocol. Thursday night was almost certainly not going to be pretty, but it's looking worse by the minute. If Slayton thought Jones was looking his way a lot before, just you wait...

NYYF Legend

Engram has a sprained MCL, and of course Shepard and Gallman are in the concussion protocol. Thursday night was almost certainly not going to be pretty, but it's looking worse by the minute. If Slayton thought Jones was looking his way a lot before, just you wait...
    I know Barkley has been looking good in his rehab but I really hope they don't rush to activate him this week. This game is a lost cause regardless if he plays or not so I'd rather just keep him out and give him an extra 10 days to get healthy.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Saquon Barkley (Ankle), Sterling Shepard (Concussion), Evan Engram (Knee), and Wayne Gallman (Concussion) ruled out for Thursday. The Pats could probably sit Brady and still cover the 16 point spread.

NYYF Legend

New England won 35-14 after taking a 14-0 lead and letting the Giants tied it. Three touchdowns were not by offense. New England's first touchdown was on a blocked punt, and both teams returned fumbles for touchdowns. New England's three offensive touchdowns were all 1 yard runs. Tom Brady went 31-41 to tie his career-high for most completions without a touchdown. He went 31-41 with no touchdowns and 1 interception yesterday and in a 23-20 win at Pittsburgh on September 25, 2005. Golden Tate had 6 receptions for 102 yards including a 64 yard touchdown.

Leading up to the game I thought the Giants had a chance to win (I thought Barkley and Engram were going to play) but with every skilled player on offense not playing they had no shot.

Need to get these guys back ASAP.

Tough night for a rookie QB making his 4th start on a short week with no run game.
    Jones thus far has a little trouble reading zone. Most of his INTs are due to that.
    He's cleaned up the fumbles. Which is nice to see.

BTW. Do the Giant receivers ever make contested catches? Ugh! There were some nicely thrown balls but the receivers don't make tough catches. Same thing happened in the Viking game. They also get no seperation so Jones is throwing into extremely tight windows.

Thread Information