View Poll Results: Who will win the AL East this season?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yankees

51 85.00%
  • Red Sox

9 15.00%
  • Rays

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Who will win the AL East?

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    You really have to wonder how much bigger the Yankees lead would have been with a normal amount of injuries. All teams have injuries but the number of key players for the Yankees spending time on the IL this season is unprecedented.
    I was thinking the same thing, if we even only had the 1st have Severino from last year the whole staff would look different.

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    We can hit Sox pitching, starting or relieving. It's just that we did not do it these past three games.
    It’s a game of streaks. We won six of the first seven games this year against the Red Sox.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Yankees will win the AL East. Going away. Then they will win the ALDS, the ALCS and the World Series.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Yankees hit the Sox TOR ace pretty hard all night

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Yankees hit the Sox TOR ace pretty hard all night
    So have other teams. Still, I feel good about the victory.

Now, take 3 out of 4 next weekend and we are back where we started before this past series.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Now, take 3 out of 4 next weekend and we are back where we started before this past series.
    I would be happy taking 2 out of 4 and remaining 10 up in the loss column on them.

NYYF Legend

Yankees will win the division.

The team that gets hottest in October of the 10 that make the post season dance will win the WS.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Anybody want to change their vote? Baseball is a sport where great teams will have awful weeks, and average teams can have great weeks (see the Mets as another example).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Anybody want to change their vote? Baseball is a sport where great teams will have awful weeks, and average teams can have great weeks (see the Mets as another example).
    9 people chose the Red Sox. Oh my.
    Just win!

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    I set up the poll to close on August 1, so I think it's too late now. Hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Yeah, not a good look now. And that doesn't include that CTyanks guy who started this whole mess by saying the Yankees would be lucky to win two games against Minnesota and Boston and then doubling down after they won the first two of those seven games. It's funny because he thought they would lose the next five but they only lost the next four.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Yankees now 15 up in the loss column over Boston. Next time Boston might be ahead of us is maybe next April.

NYYF Legend

Nobody showed any love to the Rays. Just like in their home stadium.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Mission accomplished.

Red Sox will be 10 games up by mid-August, I swear!

I'm surprised it wasn't more given the reactionary nature of some of the folks who post here (but I've taken names)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Wonder if that guy still thinks Red Sox will be leading division by mid August.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

This was a great poll/idea, Lou. Nicely done within the highest standards of the site.

And whatever happens the rest of the way for this injury-ridden team, three cheers for the resilience of the players, for the manager, and for the GM that ensured the depth that made this possible.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Maybe he meant mid August next season.

Division is wrapped up.
    It’s all about home field now with Dodgers and Astros.
    That is the race.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    This was a great poll/idea, Lou. Nicely done within the highest standards of the site.
    Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    And whatever happens the rest of the way for this injury-ridden team, three cheers for the resilience of the players, for the manager, and for the GM that ensured the depth that made this possible.
    Agreed. Many have made the point that winning in the regular season and winning in the postseason are two different things, and that point is well taken. It remains to be seen whether this team can find a way to win a World Series without the benefit of any trade deadline upgrades to the pitching staff. (And even if they do, some will say with good reason that the front office still should have done more to maximize their chances.) But for now, it's worth noting what an impressive job they've done to get to this point.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Thank you sir.

Agreed. Many have made the point that winning in the regular season and winning in the postseason are two different things, and that point is wtaken. It remains to be seen whether this team can find a way to win a World Series without the benefit of any trade deadline upgrades to the pitching staff. (And even if they do, some will say with good reason that the front office still should have done more to maximize their chances.) But for now, it's worth noting what an impressive job they've done to get to this point.
    This has been one of those magical sessions that Yankees overcame all the adversities and won against all the odds. I recalled earlier in the season Harold Reynold commented about this imperfect Yankee team and how Boston was going to take it apart just like they treated the Yankees last season.

It feels great to prove all these Yankees haters wrong.

No matter what the outcome might be this year, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this group of fighters. They earned my respect

If (and hopefully when) they win it all, the movie about the 2019 Yankees already has its title: “Next Man Up”!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AussieYank View Post
    If (and hopefully when) they win it all, the movie about the 2019 Yankees already has its title: “Next Man Up”!
    "Savages in the Box."

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

Funny thing is, going into the Minnesota series, he said that between the three games there and the 4 in Fenway, we'd go 2-5 and lose a ton of ground on the way to blowing the division to Boston by mid August..

Going into last Sunday night, I admit I was starting to think he was right, at least about the 2-5 road trip..

But that is what makes baseball so tough to predict and why it is so hard to come back from that far down. Teams slump.. Other teams rampage. Then it switches.

For the entire season the Yankees have been playing well over .600 ball and while they are not the Astros pitching wise, they had gotten plenty enough from their pitching to be the best team in the AL record wise. The Sox had fits and starts the whole year, and never truly got humming on all cylinders. After more than 100 games, it starts to not be a stream, it is who you are. The Sox did bludgeon us the first 3 games in Fenway, no doubt. But I felt that so many were ready to toss the first 100 games of the season and simply determined that those three games were the real season. It was like watching the sun set at night and believing you'll never see it again. All season whatever had ailed the Yankees, whatever had stood in their way, they overcame it. I never thought that we'd lose the division to Boston, or even Tampa..

Now I will say our lack of action at the deadline was still disappointing to me. Not gonna lie.. But that is more my concern for the postseason, especially the Astros. I really never thought we'd lose the division outright..
    Sure people bring up the crazy comebacks, like the 78 Yankees, or the Mets blowing that big lead a few years back and missing the playoffs. But those things happen very infrequently, we remember them because they are so memorable. Play out the 78 season starting with the Yankees double digit games back in August a hundred times over, and the Yankees come back and win like they actually did in 78 maybe 5 times, maybe even less. The odds are just so stacked against it..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    This has been one of those magical sessions that Yankees overcame all the adversities and won against all the odds.
    Well said. You’d never know that from reading this site.

Thread Information