+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

What's the Latest Inning For a Pitcher's First Career Win?

San Francisco's Williams Jerez pitched the 15th and 16th against the Mets before San Francisco won walkoff in the 16th after 2:30 A.M. What the latest inning for a pitcher's first career win. I checked Hector Noesi, who won his MLB debut for the Yankees at Baltimore on May 18, 2011. He pitched the 12th through the 15th, so Jerez's win was later.

NYYF Legend

Re: What's the Latest Inning For a Pitcher's First Career Win?

Can't answer that, but can tell you the latest inning for a pitcher's second career win is probably 22. The recently deceased Jim Bouton was the winner for the Yankees in their famous June 24, 1962, 22-inning win over the Detroit Tigers in Tiger Stadium, the game won by the only career home run by fill-in outfielder Jack Reed. Bouton pitched the last 7 iinings scoreless for the win. The loser was current Mets pitching coach Phil Regan.

Frank Lary, the original "Yankee Killer," started the game for the Tigers and uncharacteristically got "Yankee killed," giving up 7 runs in 2 innings. This got Lary going on an unusual distinction: He pitched in 2 of the 3 longest games of the 1960s and two of the longest ever. Two years later, as a Met, he pitched 2 scoreless innings of relief in the Giants' May 31, 23-inning win over the Mets at Shea Stadium.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Re: What's the Latest Inning For a Pitcher's First Career Win?

It turns out that Jerez wasn't the first pitcher to do that this year. Minnesota's Zack Littell got his first career win in a 4-3 walkoff hosting Boston on June 18. The Baseball-Reference Play Index found 478 games from 1908 to the present that went at least 16 innings. The winning pitcher is at the top of the page, and I need to check the player's page if it was his first win of that year. Since it's happened multiple times this year, I decided not to spend time checking 478 box scores.

Thread Information