+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

The Short Porch, Other Stadiums, and MLB Rule About Stadium Dimensions

Page 15 of https://content.mlb.com/documents/2/...les_FINAL_.pdf says:

"NOTE: (a) Any Playing Field constructed by a professional
    Club after June 1, 1958, shall provide a minimum distance of
    325 feet from home base to the nearest fence, stand or other
    obstruction on the right and left field foul lines, and a minimum distance of 400 feet to the center field fence.
    (b) No existing playing field shall be remodeled after
    June 1, 1958, in such manner as to reduce the distance from
    home base to the foul poles and to the center field fence below
    the minimum specified in paragraph (a) above."

Both corners at YS violate this rule. The Pesky Pole is at an old stadium, so it doesn't apply. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Tampa Bay have stadiums built after that date with dimensions that are too small at some place.

NYYF Legend

Re: The Short Porch, Other Stadiums, and MLB Rule About Stadium Dimensions

Dodger Stadium, opened in 1962, at one point was only 395 to CF, though that may not be the case now.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post

obstruction on the right and left field foul lines, and a minimum distance of 400 feet to the center field fence.

Both corners at YS violate this rule. The Pesky Pole is at an old stadium, so it doesn't apply. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Tampa Bay have stadiums built after that date with dimensions that are too small at some place.
    I'm guessing there are no consequences for violating this rule. The NHL, NBA and NFL have consistent field measurements. Even Minor League stadiums are different.
    I don't know if the difference in ballparks would ever result in HR, ERA or other stats being altered.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    I'm guessing there are no consequences for violating this rule. The NHL, NBA and NFL have consistent field measurements. Even Minor League stadiums are different.
    I don't know if the difference in ballparks would ever result in HR, ERA or other stats being altered.

Reading hhe entire rule on page 15 no penalty is stipulated. I can only assume the Yankees applied and were granted permission to deviate

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Reading hhe entire rule on page 15 no penalty is stipulated. I can only assume the Yankees applied and were granted permission to deviate

Andy
    i would think so because they were maintaining the dimensions of YSII. Not like they were asking for a new, quirky field of someone's recent imagining.

NYYF Legend

San Francisco got an exception due to the Bay. And may other acomodations like a higher wall and deeper alleys. Though they kind of regret that right now and are talking of putting the bull pens in "triples alley"

I'm sure the other stadiums got exceptions for "reasons" like we need this stadium to play ball so up yours or something like that.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    i would think so because they were maintaining the dimensions of YSII. Not like they were asking for a new, quirky field of someone's recent imagining.
    They maintained the same dimensions at the marked spots. In the process, they completely lost the shape of the old wall.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    They maintained the same dimensions at the marked spots. In the process, they completely lost the shape of the old wall.
    They also MOVED the marked spots (two of them). In NYS, left-center and right-center were moved closer to the center-field line, alllowing the fence to come in more from those points to the foul lines. In YSII, they were halfway from center to the foul lines, as they should be.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    San Francisco got an exception due to the Bay.
    I'm guessing the Allegheny River provided the same "exception" in Pittsburgh.

I doubt this distinction was of any real interest to MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I'm guessing the Allegheny River provided the same "exception" in Pittsburgh.

I doubt this distinction was of any real interest to MLB.
    . Correct, and apparently not to the Yankees, either. It still pisses me off.

NYYF Legend

. Correct, and apparently not to the Yankees, either. It still pisses me off.
    Just curious. Why?

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Just curious. Why?

Andy
    Because they made a big deal about keeping the old dimensions, as if they were somehow preserving the shape of the old field. Instead, they kept the measured spots at the same distance (with theDurk's exception noted), then connected those spots with straight lines. The result is that the sweeping curve of the old wall is now replaced by a jerky, angular, crudely designed and frankly ugly field thatís advertised as preserving the old place.

And thatís without even getting to the foul territory.

Timely thread considering the London Stadium dimensions. My kids played on bigger fields in high school.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

NYYF Legend

Because they made a big deal about keeping the old dimensions, as if they were somehow preserving the shape of the old field. Instead, they kept the measured spots at the same distance (with theDurk's exception noted), then connected those spots with straight lines. The result is that the sweeping curve of the old wall is now replaced by a jerky, angular, crudely designed and frankly ugly field thatís advertised as preserving the old place.

And thatís without even getting to the foul territory.

Your points are valid.

But to me, I don't hold the old stadium to high esteem. It was built in 1923 and surely they could have done far better with designing a new Stadium for the YANKEES.

I've been to the Met's Citi field and I find it far, far superior to the new YS and I am disappointed with what we got.

Andy

Your points are valid.

But to me, I don't hold the old stadium to high esteem. It was built in 1923 and surely they could have done far better with designing a new Stadium for the YANKEES.

I've been to the Met's Citi field and I find it far, far superior to the new YS and I am disappointed with what we got.

Andy
    Iíve been to a lot of the post-Camden Yards stadiums, and Yankee Stadium is at the bottom of the list, IMO.

The old Stadium wasnít in good shape, obviously. I didnít love the structure, but I loved the field, and the upper deck.

NYYF Legend

I’ve been to a lot of the post-Camden Yards stadiums, and Yankee Stadium is at the bottom of the list, IMO.

The old Stadium wasn’t in good shape, obviously. I didn’t love the structure, but I loved the field, and the upper deck.
    I was never in the upper deck. Still, I loved the history, and I loved the Elizabethan Globe Theater feeling of being close to the action, and the way the crowd noise got overwhelming in big moments. The structure itself was blah, except for the copper frieze, aka faÁade. As for the new one, they really did a bad job, compared to the possibilities and compared to other new stadia.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I was never in the upper deck. Still, I loved the history, and I loved the Elizabethan Globe Theater feeling of being close to the action, and the way the crowd noise got overwhelming in big moments. The structure itself was blah, except for the copper frieze, aka faÁade. As for the new one, they really did a bad job, compared to the possibilities and compared to other new stadia.
    Thereís a picture of the old upper deck in the dictionary, next to the word "vertiginous." It was close to the field horizontally, but a long way straight up. For a long time the seats at the top of the upper deck were dirt cheap, even right behind home plate. I loved those seats.

NYYF Legend

Iíve been to a lot of the post-Camden Yards stadiums, and Yankee Stadium is at the bottom of the list, IMO.

The old Stadium wasnít in good shape, obviously. I didnít love the structure, but I loved the field, and the upper deck.
    The field was great but you had to be careful when walking in the interior of the stadium, it was rar infested to the max

Andy

I've read that the distance indications are not necessarily the actual distance from home. I don't mean in an intentionally deceptive way or only Yankee Stadium. It's like "left center" could be a 90 foot section of wall. 399 may be a factual measurement in that section, but not necessarily where it reads 399 on the wall.

Not as if I'm trying to make a point here. It's just something that I read and found moderately interesting.
    Supports: smart spending, roster flexibility and depth. Does not support: reckless spending and extreme prospect hugging.

NYYF Legend

If 314 and 318 refer to the average over a section rather than the corners, both corners are shorter than that, so it would make Yankee Stadium farther away from complying with my first post.

If 314 and 318 refer to the average over a section rather than the corners, both corners are shorter than that, so it would make Yankee Stadium farther away from complying with my first post.
    Those distances are the lines, not an average over a section of the outfield.

Thread Information