+ Reply to Thread

Best Player in MLB for 2019

Ill throw out 3 names that fit the bill for Best Player in MLB in 2019:

Mike Trout
    Cody Bellinger
    Christian Yelich

Start with Mike Trout. His name is in this every single year it seems. Certainly one of the greatest players I have ever seen play. This year he is right back up there.

24 HRs, 61 RBIs, .296 BA, 1.068 OPS, 5.7 WAR

Cody Bellinger has been on fire this season. Came out the same year as Judge, and I always thought Judge was better, but now, not so sure.

29 HRs, 70 RBIs, .345 BA, 1.148 OPS, 5.8 WAR

And finally, Christian Yelich. The defending NL MVP is back at it again. Amazing how much better he has been the past 2 years. Possible 40-40 guy this season.

31 HRs, 67 RBIs, .328 BA, 1.137 OPS, 4.8 WAR

Honorable mentions, Josh Bell, Charlie Blackmon, Nolan Arenado

Who do you guys think is the best player so far in 2019? And who will be by years end?
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Re: Best Player in MLB for 2019

Trout is just being Trout. Amazing.

Yelich is a machine as well. Bellinger got right back on track after his injury.

Acuna, Bregman, & Freeman are also obvious additions.

Tatis & Gurriel have officially broken out. But they haven't been there all year. Alonso has and is impressive.

And my boy DJL
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Other than WAR, Bellinger and Yelich are better than Trout, but Trout doesn't need to compete with them for MVP.

You should consider Hyun-Jin Ryu, who has a 1.83 ERA for the team with the best record and is the best pitcher in either league in the Cy Young Predictor at http://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung with 107.1. Verlander leads the AL at 106.7, and nobody else has reached 100. Ryu is on pace for 187.0, which is higher than any NL pitcher got in 2017 or 2018. Ryu is on pace to become the first pitcher with an ERA under 2.00 and enough innings to qualify on a team that won at least two-thirds of their games since the St. Louis Cardinals' Max Lanier had a 1.90 ERA when they went 105-49 in 1943. The last pitcher to have an ERA of 1.83 or lower and enough innings to qualify on a team that won at least two-thirds of their games when the St. Louis Cardinals' Mort Cooper, who had a 1.78 ERA when they went 106-48 in 1942.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Trout is just being Trout. Amazing.

Yelich is a machine as well. Bellinger got right back on track after his injury.

Acuna, Bregman, & Freeman are also obvious additions.

Tatis & Gurriel have officially broken out. But they haven't been there all year. Alonso has and is impressive.

And my boy DJL
    I know most analytic guys downplay batting average, but guys like the above with average and power are so much more valuable than the home run or strike out guys. I'm just old school I guess. DJL is such a refreshing player to have on the Yankees.

This was why I didn't want Harper at his price point.
    "Show me what you got!" Big head from "Rick and Morty"

NYYF Legend

Just as a side note, Yelich leads the NL in home runs (31) and is tied with Jarrod Dyson for the league lead in stolen bases (19). Has anyone ever led their league in home runs and stolen bases in the same season? My instinct is no, but wondering.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

I'm not going to check for you, but you can use https://www.baseball-reference.com/l..._leagues.shtml and https://www.baseball-reference.com/l..._leagues.shtml

Dyson stole his 20th base to move above Yelich.

Thread Information