+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Sterling streak to come to an end

John Sterling will miss calling a game on Thursday; he'll be replaced by Ryan Ruocco. This will be the first game Sterling has missed since his sister died in 1989. The stated reason? Sterling has to look after his health, whatever that means. the Yankees play the Rays on the 4th, the game starts at 5:10 PM at the Tropicana, and for whatever reason, Sterling will not be behind the microphone. The article I read said that management urged him to take the day so he would be rested should the Yankees go into the post-season. Whatever the criticism of Sterling, he certainly is part of the Yankee experience the past few years, and I wish him well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

NYYF Legend

Re: Sterling streak to come to an end

I hope everything is ok with him. I met him at a Nets game in the winter, and he was as nice as you would imagine he'd be. He took the time to have a casual conversation with me.

Iíve never held back on what a ding dong I think he is. Iím no fan of his gimmick.

However, I hope everything is okay. If anything happened I think I would actually miss him.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    John Sterling will miss calling a game on Thursday; he'll be replaced by Ryan Ruocco. This will be the first game Sterling has missed since his sister died in 1989. The stated reason? Sterling has to look after his health, whatever that means. the Yankees play the Rays on the 4th, the game starts at 5:10 PM at the Tropicana, and for whatever reason, Sterling will not be behind the microphone. The article I read said that management urged him to take the day so he would be rested should the Yankees go into the post-season. Whatever the criticism of Sterling, he certainly is part of the Yankee experience the past few years, and I wish him well.
    My understanding is he is taking the entire Tampa series off.

I think I'm one of the few here who enjoys Sterling. I wish him the best at whatever this is. (The man is going to be 81)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Iíve never held back on what a ding dong I think he is. Iím no fan of his gimmick.

However, I hope everything is okay. If anything happened I think I would actually miss him.

What he said...

I don't know how many times in the car, he called a ball like it was gone, only to say it was caught.
    "Show me what you got!" Big head from "Rick and Morty"

I know most think he's goofy, but I always liked him.

Growing up in the south, pre-internet and before widely televised games, I was reduced to getting Yankee games on the radio when they were on 770 am. That's if I was lucky. Would only be able to get night games, usually after it was dark. For me, his voice is synonymous with Yankees baseball.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    I know most think he's goofy, but I always liked him.

Growing up in the south, pre-internet and before widely televised games, I was reduced to getting Yankee games on the radio when they were on 770 am. That's if I was lucky. Would only be able to get night games, usually after it was dark. For me, his voice is synonymous with Yankees baseball.
    I'm older, so it's Scooter, Red Barber, Mel Allen and friends for me. And if you were lucky enough to hear those guys, John& friends will always fall short. Back then it was day game World Series when I was in grade school, and I'd listen during study hall on that little white earphone with the wire up my sleeve from a little Sony transistor radio in my pocket. Lots of World Series...
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I'm older, so it's Scooter, Red Barber, Mel Allen and friends for me. And if you were lucky enough to hear those guys, John& friends will always fall short. Back then it was day game World Series when I was in grade school, and I'd listen during study hall on that little white earphone with the wire up my sleeve from a little Sony transistor radio in my pocket. Lots of World Series...
    I spent a good portion of my childhood listening to Scooter. I even got to meet him. Awesome dude.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I hope he is okay - it is certainly a grueling schedule for an 80-year-old guy.

I've been listening to him my entire life, from his time doing sports talk on WMCA and his time broadcasting the New York Raiders WHA. I listening to those game on transistor radio under my pillow.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

always liked sterling ,except for the goofyness of never knowing score or where the ball is or was (when he announced islander games , never knew where puck was till bossy scored) . was and is like opie taylor calling game.

I just thought of something - there will be 4 games with Ruocco and Waldman doing the radio broadscast. Are they intentionally trying to get people to not listen to the radio broadcast? Get well soon, John.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

So I guess ymike is the Yankee "streak" guy now
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Damn rest schedule has hit the broadcast booth now?

NYYF Legend

Hope heís not sick with some dreadful disease that we donít know about. When itís July and heís asked to take a day off so he is rested for the post-season, that doesnít sound like a short term thing. In fact, if it was April 1st the irony of that statement would make a good April Foolís joke given the Yankees rest history. But this sounds more serious.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I just thought of something - there will be 4 games with Ruocco and Waldman doing the radio broadscast. Are they intentionally trying to get people to not listen to the radio broadcast? Get well soon, John.
    You might have to listen to the TV broadcast. Or watch on mute. Or go to the movies.

I never thought Roucco/Flaherty could ever be topped as the worst duo ever. I never considered the grunter.
    There's a sinister plot a brewin'

NYYF Legend

Hope John is ok but for me Messer, White and Rizzuto were my favorite crew. From the early 70s thru the 80s.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Damn rest schedule has hit the broadcast booth now?
    Rest schedule has been on the TV side all season.

NYYF Legend

My understanding is he is taking the entire Tampa series off.

I think I'm one of the few here who enjoys Sterling. I wish him the best at whatever this is. (The man is going to be 81)

Hey, what's wrong with being 81. I love it

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Add Dizzy Dean and Gerry Coleman to your list.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Hope John is ok but for me Messer, White and Rizzuto were my favorite crew. From the early 70s thru the 80s.
    I liked how they rotated them every 3 innings so you had different combinations doing play-by-play and analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    Not a thing.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    How's your eyesight? John's is not so good these days.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Apparently, Sterling has indeed not been well:

Over the past month or so, Sterling has been ďunder the weather,íí as he puts it. For years a daily lap swimmer, Sterling has found his energy sapped and his appetite diminished. He no longer feels well enough to drive himself to work and has been taking a car service to and from Yankee Stadium. The suits of the best-dressed man in radio now hang loosely on his frame as if they were originally purchased for someone else.

Sterlingís doctors havenít pinpointed exactly what has been troubling him, but his diminished energy, weakened voice and significant weight loss have been noticeable to his longtime colleagues and friends.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/a-july-4th-...wer&soc_trk=tw

I was shocked to hear the TV announcers say this and then they panned to Sterling in the radio booth and I was shocked to see how thin he's gotten - noticeably thinner than last year or earlier this year. Funny, I was at Old Timers Day but didn't notice it then.

I've always liked Sterling, particularly because he roots for The Yankees, which is what you want in your hometown announcer, as long as he's truthful - and Sterling is. He will call The Yankees out when they are playing poorly, making bad decisions, etc.

His inaccuracies have driven me crazy over the years, but I actually think he's improved in that regard the last couple of years.

Whatever the reason, I hope he is well. When he hangs it up, it will be hard to find someone to replace him. These new announcers are just too cut and dried and analytical. They take the human element out of the game, IMHO.

Rucco and Suzyn? That's horrifying! I agree with Fred Muggs - like The Yankees are "intentionally trying to get people to not listen to the radio broadcast?"

Sterling better be back for the, God willing, post season. I always mute the TV (hate those national announcers) and listen to John & Suzyn.

NYYF Legend

I liked how they rotated them every 3 innings so you had different combinations doing play-by-play and analyst.
    Yes. They also rotated between radio and TV if the game was on WPIX. So just three announcers covered radio and TV. Sure not like today.

Thread Information