+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: Sterling streak to come to an end

I hate to say it, but Ruocco was actually pretty good for the two or three innings I heard on the radio yesterday. Much better than he is on TV and explained what was happening better than Sterling. And because of that it kept Suzyn pretty quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    I hate to say it, but Ruocco was actually pretty good for the two or three innings I heard on the radio yesterday. Much better than he is on TV and explained what was happening better than Sterling. And because of that it kept Suzyn pretty quiet.
    For years, Suzyn's primary responsibility has been to agree with Sterling and laugh at his musical references. I don’t think she has much to say about baseball anymore.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    For years, Suzyn's primary responsibility has been to agree with Sterling and laugh at his musical references. I don’t think she has much to say about baseball anymore.
    She gives THE BEST out-of-town scores.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    She gives THE BEST out-of-town scores.
    And Suzyn's Clubhouse is the only good thing about the radio postgame show.

Heard the first few innings in the car today, and props to Ruocco. He did a good job!

Being on radio there’s more to describe about the game obviously and that seems to be his strength. It also helped that he didn’t have a former Yankee player next to him to fanboy all over.

Overall I think he’d be great as radio PBP especially with the right partner.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I'm 39 and the idea of travelling for 81 days a year makes me want to sleep. Can't imagine how he does it at 81. I'm sure the salary helps, but yeah, he deserves a rest.

Ruocco's not bad. I don’t think he’s excellent, but he’s acceptable. His excitability would wear on me after a while. I prefer the Scully/Miller style.

NYYF Legend

Roucco is probably a lot worse on the radio if you were watching what he was describing.
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Roucco is probably a lot worse on the radio if you were watching what he was describing.
    Well I can't watch it in the car, so he worked for me.

Of course, I have no issue with John Sterling either - personally, I like to listen to baseball when I am driving. When I used to drive my daughter back & forth to college in western PA, I could pick up Chicago and St. Louis AM stations at night - even listened to them rather than music radio.

Now with satellite radio, I can pretty much listen to whomever I want and I still select the Yankees first and foremost.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

John not doing the game again tonight?

Might there be a more serious illness than they let on?

I'm getting seriously concerned about this now.... they won't talk about it, he misses now a random game.. I hate being in the dark.

NYYF Legend

I think what you might see in the coming seasons is Sterling having a reduced schedule. Like Vince Scully towards the end of his announcing career.

This was announced before he missed the first 4 games on July 3rd, that he was going to miss this game to have some sort of procedure to make things better for him for the rest of the year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-july-4th-...013539438.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Her analysis on a d’Arnaud HR went something like

“That was waist high. It should have been hit. And it was”
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

"This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I think what you might see in the coming seasons is Sterling having a reduced schedule. Like Vince Scully towards the end of his announcing career.
    I don’t want anything bad to happen to the man. Everything I’ve read and heard is that he is a friendly, personable man who loves his job. But its probably time for him to begin transitioning out.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    John not doing the game again tonight?

Might there be a more serious illness than they let on?

Wasn't it announced previously that he would miss a game this week for a procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by scine20 View Post
    This was announced before he missed the first 4 games on July 3rd, that he was going to miss this game to have some sort of procedure to make things better for him for the rest of the year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-july-4th-...013539438.html

Thanks. I should of kept scrolling before replying lol.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    I don’t want anything bad to happen to the man. Everything I’ve read and heard is that he is a friendly, personable man who loves his job. But its probably time for him to begin transitioning out.
    I hope he is back soon. Not the same without him.

Quote Originally Posted by BigYankeeUnit View Post
    Thanks. I should of kept scrolling before replying lol.
    I'm surprised that the articles yesterday and today didn't reference that this was pre-planned. They made it sound like it was a sudden thing.

Particularly when they referenced that Carrino was shadowing Sterling. Obviously if he was doing that there was a reason.

NYYF Cy Young

I think if the team were smart, they would switch John's role from the play by play guy to color commentary, get Ryan Ruoco a little more experience, and just keep Suzyn for the pregame filler which she does well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I think if the team were smart, they would switch John's role from the play by play guy to color commentary, get Ryan Ruoco a little more experience, and just keep Suzyn for the pregame filler which she does well
    Y'know, Ryan, you just can’t predict baseball.

Replacement Game: Suzyn Waldman deserves play-by-play opportunity

“Prior to Waldman joining Sterling in 2006, all the voices who worked with Sterling (including Jay Johnstone, Joe Angel, Michael Kay, Charley Steiner) shared the play-by-play duties. When Waldman was hired, Sterling started doing all of the play-by-play. There wasn’t the slightest attempt by management to develop Waldman as a play-by-play voice.”

“FAN accepted kudos for hiring a woman, but the suits didn’t give her equal treatment, which would have meant allowing Waldman to do some innings of play-by-play.”

“Fast forward to today. Sterling has to take two days off for health reasons and FAN/Entercom suits immediately signal for a male play-by-play voice to come out of the bullpen, totally bypassing the woman who sat at Sterling’s side for 13 years.”

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by donniesoftball View Post
    Replacement Game: Suzyn Waldman deserves play-by-play opportunity

“Prior to Waldman joining Sterling in 2006, all the voices who worked with Sterling (including Jay Johnstone, Joe Angel, Michael Kay, Charley Steiner) shared the play-by-play duties. When Waldman was hired, Sterling started doing all of the play-by-play. There wasn’t the slightest attempt by management to develop Waldman as a play-by-play voice.”

“FAN accepted kudos for hiring a woman, but the suits didn’t give her equal treatment, which would have meant allowing Waldman to do some innings of play-by-play.”

“Fast forward to today. Sterling has to take two days off for health reasons and FAN/Entercom suits immediately signal for a male play-by-play voice to come out of the bullpen, totally bypassing the woman who sat at Sterling’s side for 13 years.”
    I seem to remember her doing PbP at the beginning, and it was cringeworthy. That was where the 'line shawt' thing was born. Plus, she is 72. Clearly not the next Voice of the Yankees for the new millennium.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I seem to remember her doing PbP at the beginning, and it was cringeworthy. That was where the 'line shawt' thing was born. Plus, she is 72. Clearly not the next Voice of the Yankees for the new millennium.
    My memory is different.I am pretty sure that she was brought in strictly to do color. She has definitely filled in momentarily on some occasions when John was late getting back from a bathroom break (he was already 67 when they teamed up after all) but PBP has never been in her job description IIRC.

"Line shawt" can be uttered either describing a live play or when recapping one.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Thread Information