+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: London Weekend vs. Red Sox General thread.

I couldn’t stand either broadcast. They were all terrible. Buck and Smoltz, who I already despise as a pair were their usual selves. The SNB crew were really grating too and I normally like them since they are generally enthusiastic about the game and actually happy to be there doing the job. Add to the fact that both the games were SO long and they had tons of air to fill.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BigYankeeUnit View Post
    Please don't do this again. It Sucked!!!! This wasn't about showcasing our game for London. This was about greedy MLB wanting more money. Sucking Americans wallets dry isn't enough. Now they want Britts/Europeans $$$ too.

Tell that to the people who went -- who never get a chance to see regular-season baseball in their country, and this was their only chance.

This felt a lot like the NHL Stadium Series, which for fans in attendance is a life-long memory, for the rest of us it borders on annoying. MLB was able to bring live baseball to 120,000 people who otherwise would never have gotten to go. It's a memory they'll have forever.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    Tell that to the people who went -- who never get a chance to see regular-season baseball in their country, and this was their only chance.

This felt a lot like the NHL Stadium Series, which for fans in attendance is a life-long memory, for the rest of us it borders on annoying. MLB was able to bring live baseball to 120,000 people who otherwise would never have gotten to go. It's a memory they'll have forever.
    This is assuming they care. If a cricket match between India and England came to Yankee Stadium, a once in a lifetime chance to see this, would you go? Personally if the tickets were cheap enough I would out of curiosity, but at the prices they were charging for the London Series I wouldn’t.

I’m honestly not convinced that most of the people at the game weren’t die hard US baseball fans using this as an excuse to take a vacation in London and catching a ballgame while there. It would absolutely explain the bleacher creature rollcall I overheard.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    This is assuming they care. If a cricket match between India and England came to Yankee Stadium, a once in a lifetime chance to see this, would you go? Personally if the tickets were cheap enough I would out of curiosity, but at the prices they were charging for the London Series I wouldn’t.

I’m honestly not convinced that most of the people at the game weren’t die hard US baseball fans using this as an excuse to take a vacation in London and catching a ballgame while there. It would absolutely explain the bleacher creature rollcall I overheard.
    I think people over in the US would be surprised at the following some US sports have here in the UK, NFL continually sells out (or near) any games played, I was at the American Bowl exhibition games in the 80s and tickets were like gold dust and that was to see pre-season games. We have BTSportESPN who show regular season games, the Blue Jays/Royals game is on just now plus Cubs/Pirates at midnight UK time. there must be some demand to see baseball here. I don't know viewing figures though unless MLB has a cheap rate to promote the game. The media reaction has been good considering the women's World Cup with England and Scotland, the Cricket World Cup taking place across England and wales.
    The games albeit being a bit off the wall were imho a great advert for the game, exciting and not a bore.
    The next game ticket between the Cubs/Cardinals will let us know how succesful the two games were.
    We had BTSport using an English play by play guy who was very good, an ex_Astros catcher doing fill in..
    I hope it kicks the game on PLUS I'd my first MLB.TV blackout

NYYF Legend

Until next season when the Cards play the Cubs.

NYYF Legend

In the words of John McEnroe, you CANNOT be serious!

The NHL series involves repurposing stadiums during cold weather months with a REGULATION NHL playing surface. Not that joke of a stadium we just saw with a 380 ft. CF, foul territory larger than Kansas, and a rocket playing surface where you have no chance on a hard grounder unless the ball was hit straight at you or unless you are Didi Gregorius,

"120,000 people who otherwise would never have gotten to go"? lol. six-two-and even says 90,000 of them were well-heeled Americans flying over. Come on, it was lousy, beer league slow pitch softball. The only good thing was the Yankees won both games.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

The NHL series involves repurposing stadiums during cold weather months with a REGULATION NHL playing surface. Not that joke of a stadium we just saw with a 380 ft. CF, foul territory larger than Kansas, and a rocket playing surface where you have no chance on a hard grounder unless the ball was hit straight at you or unless you are Didi Gregorius,

"120,000 people who otherwise would never have gotten to go"? lol. six-two-and even says 90,000 of them were well-heeled Americans flying over. Come on, it was lousy, beer league slow pitch softball. The only good thing was the Yankees won both games.
    All true. Plus like the NHL series this will now probably be a yearly event. Next season Cubs/Cardinals. Would not doubt that you will see Dodgers/Giants play at London in a few years.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

First post in about 1 year. Only breaking out of lurk mode because I appear to be one of only 2 members who was in London.

I was at the Saturday game in London. I had an absolute blast and I commend MLB and London for pulling these games off. The fans were great and the stadium was nice. No it wasn't a ballpark but that was expected. Hearing both the Star Spangle Banner followed by God Saved the Queen sung by a choir was chilling.

The game was very long for those of us in attendance and we moved all the way up to behind home plate by the 7th inning. The pictures I took will be treasured. My wide and daughter got to experience visiting London and its surrounding areas for the first times in our lives.

A few things about the fans attending the games. Only 20% of the tickets were purchased within the USA, 70% from the UK and 10% other countries. Many of the UK residents were USA expats or British people who have spent time in the USA and picked up a love for the sport. So it is completely untrue that 90,000 were American who flew over. I don't think there enough flights for that many Americans to fly over. We had to book in January to ensure a spot on a plane. My friend had 5 extra tickets to sell. 3 went to a German family sold through Vivid. Stuck with 2 more to sell after already in London he met a couple from California at Buckingham Palace who bought them right on the spot. We ended up having a beer with them before the game and then at a night spot on Sunday.

I am really stunned that no one else here attended these games. I am part of a local Boston Facebook group with only about 25 members who are active regularly and at least 4 of them went. It is sad to read this thread after what I experienced but the negativity doesn't surprise me (one of the reasons I don't post anymore). The high scoring was unfortunate and possibly the heat affected the air inside the fishbowl of London Stadium where pitches weren't breaking or getting movement. I hope MLB and London Stadium can figure this out somehow for next years games.
    Last edited by Donnybaseball72; 07-05-19 at 10:54 AM.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Thread Information