+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 152
  1. #126
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    He was the moment the Yankee brass along with their quack analytics thought it would be cute to turn him into an opposite field hitter in order to take advantage of the short porch in right. He'd hit more homeruns they said. Well, someone has egg on their face.
    wait the math nerds in the FO really told Judge to focus on the opposite field? They should be fired.

  2. #127
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    He was the moment the Yankee brass along with their quack analytics thought it would be cute to turn him into an opposite field hitter in order to take advantage of the short porch in right. He'd hit more homeruns they said. Well, someone has egg on their face.
    Or he is trying hard to shorten his swing in order to keep the strikeout down.

  3. #128
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    wait the math nerds in the FO really told Judge to focus on the opposite field? They should be fired.
    They haven't. Some fans just try to pick on the front office analytical department.

  4. #129
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    The most logical guess is that he's hurt and it affects his ability to pull the ball.

  5. #130

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Or he is trying hard to shorten his swing in order to keep the strikeout down.
    That sounds nice but Judge's own words would disagree with you.

    https://www-mlb-com.cdn.ampproject.o...-field-in-2019

  6. #131
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    michigan

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The most logical guess is that he's hurt and it affects his ability to pull the ball.
    Logic tells me he is hurt and it affects his ability to hit the ball and his ability to do most anything having to do with offense. He should be shut down until he is adequately healed and can perform in some manner that befits his status as a super star.
    Opposing teams are certainly aware of his physical ailment and have little concern about pitching him carefully.
    We need Aaron Judge the great baseball player not Aaron Judge the impostor wearing his number 99.

  7. #132
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    That sounds nice but Judge's own words would disagree with you.

    https://www-mlb-com.cdn.ampproject.o...-field-in-2019
    Judge's own words would disagree with you too as he said nothing about analytical department either.

    Your linked article actually has indicated that it's the injury which keeps him from pulling. When he pulls, it's on the ground.

  8. #133

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Judge's own words would disagree with you too as he said nothing about analytical department either.

    Your linked article actually has indicated that it's the injury which keeps him from pulling. When he pulls, it's on the ground.
    Did you even read the article or did you fast forward to the last paragraph? The author makes a claim that an injury being one of several possibilities but he doesn't state it as fact. Judge had 88 PA's + preseason prior to the injury and he wasn't pulling the ball in the air then either.

    It's always convenient to pull the injury card when a player is slumping but when he's batting .300 and one of the hottest hitters in the league, nobody says boo.

    If he's truly injured like you say, he has no business playing. The Yankees aren't in jeopardy of missing the playoffs and division is theirs to lose. He should be resting for the playoffs because that's when the team will need him most.

  9. #134
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Did you even read the article or did you fast forward to the last paragraph? The author makes a claim that an injury being one of several possibilities but he doesn't claim it as fact. Judge had 88 PA's + preseason prior to the injury and he wasn't pulling the ball in the air then either.

    It's always convenient to pull the injury card when a player is slumping but when he's batting .300 and one of the hottest hitters in the league, nobody says boo.

    If he's truly injured like you say, he has no business playing. The Yankees aren't in jeopardy of missing the playoffs and division is theirs to lose. He should be resting for the playoffs because that's when the team will need him most.
    I have read through it. Your point may stand if he could pull the ball well in away games. Other teams also have their own analytical department. They saw what Judge did not only in Yankees Stadium but also in away games. They saw Judge couldn't pull the ball in the air. It explains why they are so confident attacking Judge inside even at Yankees Stadium.

    Players play with injury all the time. It's not something new.

  10. #135

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    He's batting .300 and one of the hottest hitters in the league, nobody says boo.
    Even then, I thought he might STILL be injured. It's obviously not an injury to the point where he can't hit/play at all, but his power and pulling ability are just sapped right now because of the oblique injury in all likelihood.

  11. #136

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Aaron Judge's BA is hovering around .256, the same as Gardy and we know Gardy is playing regularly due to Aaron Hicks being on the IL and even when Hicks was healthy, Gardy played because of his defensive capabilities. The same could be said about Judge's defensive prowess.

  12. #137

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I have read through it. Your point may stand if he could pull the ball well in away games. Other teams also have their own analytical department. They saw what Judge did not only in Yankees Stadium but also in away games. They saw Judge couldn't pull the ball in the air. It explains why they are so confident attacking Judge inside even at Yankees Stadium.

    Players play with injury all the time. It's not something new.
    Not many players are playing at 100% at this point in the season, I'll give you that. However, they aren't playing injured. That would be both careless and egregious for any organization to allow one of the team's core centerpieces to play injured and risk further injury.

    I don't see a grimace when he's swinging the bat which is usually a telltale sign something is wrong. I see a guy who isn't getting the bat head out on pitches in and he's getting jammed far too easily. That's causing him to pop it up or roll over a groundball to third or short. I think his entire focus is trying too hard to hit the ball to the opposite field.

    I don't know of too many hitters that have two different swings, one for home games and one for road games. Spray hitters can effectively hit the ball to all fields but they typically only have one swing. Subconsciously, I don't see how you could have two different swings for home and away. I think a player would set up his swing to take advantage of his home ballpark since that's where he plays the majority of his games. Reinventing the wheel for road games seems like an exercise in futility because no road park is created equal

  13. #138
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Not many players are playing at 100% at this point in the season, I'll give you that. However, they aren't playing injured. That would be both careless and egregious for any organization to allow one of the team's core centerpieces to play injured and risk further injury.

    I don't see a grimace when he's swinging the bat which is usually a telltale sign something is wrong. I see a guy who isn't getting the bat head out on pitches in and he's getting jammed far too easily. That's causing him to pop it up or roll over a groundball to third or short. I think his entire focus is trying too hard to hit the ball to the opposite field.

    I don't know of too many hitters that have two different swings, one for home games and one for road games. Spray hitters can effectively hit the ball to all fields but they typically only have one swing. Subconsciously, I don't see how you could have two different swings for home and away. I think a player would set up his swing to take advantage of his home ballpark since that's where he plays the majority of his games. Reinventing the wheel for road games seems like an exercise in futility because no road parks are created equal
    Which doesn't prove anything you said about the Yankees analytical department forcing him to do so. You don't need an analytical department to tell Judge that the Yankees Stadium has a short porch in RF.

    And if you look at his batted ball direction distribution, he's basically the same type of hitter last season which he's rocked a 150 OPS+. The only difference is that he just couldn't pull the ball effectively this season. I would assume that the distribution would be more extreme than last season if he has changed his swing approach significantly.

  14. #139

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Aaron Judge's BA is hovering around .256, the same as Gardy and we know Gardy is playing regularly due to Aaron Hicks being on the IL and even when Hicks was healthy, Gardy played because of his defensive capabilities. The same could be said about Judge's defensive prowess.

    But Gardy isn't batting second.......when he slumped and Yankees realized that at this point in his career he would only be a .250 hitter they finally moved him down......I dare say Yanks would do the same with Judge........as long as he puts folks in the seats he will remain face of the franchise and will be promoted as such, whether or not it is the right thing to do as far as winning playoff games is concerned.

  15. #140

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    He's been on a roll lately. Maybe the oblique injury he had has actually healed up?

  16. #141
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    You can't make this up dep't ... (You would be snickered at if you did.)

  17. #142
    NYYF Legend

    Sixty one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Raritan, New Jersey

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    I love his power but still think he takes too many strikes right down the middle. He needs Yogi’s way of hitting......”See the ball...”Swing”!

  18. #143

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    He's hitting too many home runs and they're going too far.

  19. #144
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    His stats this year are similar to Anthony Santander of the O's. Santander is younger but Judge has substantially more walks and strikeouts than Santander.
    About the same number of at bat's.

    Just an odd Judge year.

  20. #145

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Wrong thread

  21. #146
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yesteryearman View Post
    But Gardy isn't batting second.......when he slumped and Yankees realized that at this point in his career he would only be a .250 hitter they finally moved him down......I dare say Yanks would do the same with Judge........as long as he puts folks in the seats he will remain face of the franchise and will be promoted as such, whether or not it is the right thing to do as far as winning playoff games is concerned.

    As we approach the post-season, this enlarged-by-me phrase reminded me of the notorious--or, depending on your outlook, insightful--2017 Bill James article comparing Judge and Altuve. For James,
    ...when you look at Aaron Judge’s situational data, it quickly becomes apparent that Judge is not only proportionally responsible for the Yankees poor performance in close games, but that he is more than proportionally responsible. He is disproportionately responsible for the Yankees poor performance [2017, remember!] in close games. And, while Judge’s situational stats vary from poor to terrible, Altuve’s vary from solid to sensational.... https://www.billjamesonline.com/judge_and_altuve/
    I suspect James would probably, today, stand by his argument. Given the German incident and the general injury situation, the Yankees are going to need a terrific post-season from Judge. From others too? Absolutely, but from this "face of the franchise" in particular.

  22. #147

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Strong finish by Judge. He’s our best player. He almost caught up to DJ in WAR despite missing about 40% of the season.

  23. #148
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Strong finish by Judge. He’s our best player. He almost caught up to DJ in WAR despite missing about 40% of the season.
    Whose WAR are you going by? There are several and they all calculate differently.
    Let the kids play.

  24. #149

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Whose WAR are you going by? There are several and they all calculate differently.
    He finished less than 1 behind in both fWAR and bWAR. DJ did have a great season but I’d still say Judge’s absence would hurt more than any other offensive player’s.

  25. #150
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    From today’s Post:

    In his ever-expanding leadership role Aaron Judge, according to Zack Britton, implored before the game for energy and “to take it to them.”

    The Yankees had to be the aggressors. They had to throw all the first punches. No rope-a-dope. No backing down. The Yanks did this in a hail of first-pitch strikes thrown by Masahiro Tanaka and in early swings against Zack Greinke that set the tone for “one of the better baseball games we played all year,” according to Britton.

    https://nypost.com/2019/10/13/yankee...he-difference/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts