+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6
    Released Outright

Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    He was the moment the Yankee brass along with their quack analytics thought it would be cute to turn him into an opposite field hitter in order to take advantage of the short porch in right. He'd hit more homeruns they said. Well, someone has egg on their face.
    wait the math nerds in the FO really told Judge to focus on the opposite field? They should be fired.

NYYF Legend

He was the moment the Yankee brass along with their quack analytics thought it would be cute to turn him into an opposite field hitter in order to take advantage of the short porch in right. He'd hit more homeruns they said. Well, someone has egg on their face.
    Or he is trying hard to shorten his swing in order to keep the strikeout down.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    wait the math nerds in the FO really told Judge to focus on the opposite field? They should be fired.
    They haven't. Some fans just try to pick on the front office analytical department.

NYYF Legend

The most logical guess is that he's hurt and it affects his ability to pull the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Or he is trying hard to shorten his swing in order to keep the strikeout down.
    That sounds nice but Judge's own words would disagree with you.

https://www-mlb-com.cdn.ampproject.o...-field-in-2019

Addicted Member

The most logical guess is that he's hurt and it affects his ability to pull the ball.
    Logic tells me he is hurt and it affects his ability to hit the ball and his ability to do most anything having to do with offense. He should be shut down until he is adequately healed and can perform in some manner that befits his status as a super star.
    Opposing teams are certainly aware of his physical ailment and have little concern about pitching him carefully.
    We need Aaron Judge the great baseball player not Aaron Judge the impostor wearing his number 99.

NYYF Legend

That sounds nice but Judge's own words would disagree with you.

https://www-mlb-com.cdn.ampproject.o...-field-in-2019
    Judge's own words would disagree with you too as he said nothing about analytical department either.

Your linked article actually has indicated that it's the injury which keeps him from pulling. When he pulls, it's on the ground.

Judge's own words would disagree with you too as he said nothing about analytical department either.

Your linked article actually has indicated that it's the injury which keeps him from pulling. When he pulls, it's on the ground.
    Did you even read the article or did you fast forward to the last paragraph? The author makes a claim that an injury being one of several possibilities but he doesn't state it as fact. Judge had 88 PA's + preseason prior to the injury and he wasn't pulling the ball in the air then either.

It's always convenient to pull the injury card when a player is slumping but when he's batting .300 and one of the hottest hitters in the league, nobody says boo.

If he's truly injured like you say, he has no business playing. The Yankees aren't in jeopardy of missing the playoffs and division is theirs to lose. He should be resting for the playoffs because that's when the team will need him most.

NYYF Legend

Did you even read the article or did you fast forward to the last paragraph? The author makes a claim that an injury being one of several possibilities but he doesn't claim it as fact. Judge had 88 PA's + preseason prior to the injury and he wasn't pulling the ball in the air then either.

It's always convenient to pull the injury card when a player is slumping but when he's batting .300 and one of the hottest hitters in the league, nobody says boo.

If he's truly injured like you say, he has no business playing. The Yankees aren't in jeopardy of missing the playoffs and division is theirs to lose. He should be resting for the playoffs because that's when the team will need him most.
    I have read through it. Your point may stand if he could pull the ball well in away games. Other teams also have their own analytical department. They saw what Judge did not only in Yankees Stadium but also in away games. They saw Judge couldn't pull the ball in the air. It explains why they are so confident attacking Judge inside even at Yankees Stadium.

Players play with injury all the time. It's not something new.

He's batting .300 and one of the hottest hitters in the league, nobody says boo.
    Even then, I thought he might STILL be injured. It's obviously not an injury to the point where he can't hit/play at all, but his power and pulling ability are just sapped right now because of the oblique injury in all likelihood.

Aaron Judge's BA is hovering around .256, the same as Gardy and we know Gardy is playing regularly due to Aaron Hicks being on the IL and even when Hicks was healthy, Gardy played because of his defensive capabilities. The same could be said about Judge's defensive prowess.

I have read through it. Your point may stand if he could pull the ball well in away games. Other teams also have their own analytical department. They saw what Judge did not only in Yankees Stadium but also in away games. They saw Judge couldn't pull the ball in the air. It explains why they are so confident attacking Judge inside even at Yankees Stadium.

Players play with injury all the time. It's not something new.
    Not many players are playing at 100% at this point in the season, I'll give you that. However, they aren't playing injured. That would be both careless and egregious for any organization to allow one of the team's core centerpieces to play injured and risk further injury.

I don't see a grimace when he's swinging the bat which is usually a telltale sign something is wrong. I see a guy who isn't getting the bat head out on pitches in and he's getting jammed far too easily. That's causing him to pop it up or roll over a groundball to third or short. I think his entire focus is trying too hard to hit the ball to the opposite field.

I don't know of too many hitters that have two different swings, one for home games and one for road games. Spray hitters can effectively hit the ball to all fields but they typically only have one swing. Subconsciously, I don't see how you could have two different swings for home and away. I think a player would set up his swing to take advantage of his home ballpark since that's where he plays the majority of his games. Reinventing the wheel for road games seems like an exercise in futility because no road park is created equal

NYYF Legend

Not many players are playing at 100% at this point in the season, I'll give you that. However, they aren't playing injured. That would be both careless and egregious for any organization to allow one of the team's core centerpieces to play injured and risk further injury.

I don't see a grimace when he's swinging the bat which is usually a telltale sign something is wrong. I see a guy who isn't getting the bat head out on pitches in and he's getting jammed far too easily. That's causing him to pop it up or roll over a groundball to third or short. I think his entire focus is trying too hard to hit the ball to the opposite field.

I don't know of too many hitters that have two different swings, one for home games and one for road games. Spray hitters can effectively hit the ball to all fields but they typically only have one swing. Subconsciously, I don't see how you could have two different swings for home and away. I think a player would set up his swing to take advantage of his home ballpark since that's where he plays the majority of his games. Reinventing the wheel for road games seems like an exercise in futility because no road parks are created equal
    Which doesn't prove anything you said about the Yankees analytical department forcing him to do so. You don't need an analytical department to tell Judge that the Yankees Stadium has a short porch in RF.

And if you look at his batted ball direction distribution, he's basically the same type of hitter last season which he's rocked a 150 OPS+. The only difference is that he just couldn't pull the ball effectively this season. I would assume that the distribution would be more extreme than last season if he has changed his swing approach significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Aaron Judge's BA is hovering around .256, the same as Gardy and we know Gardy is playing regularly due to Aaron Hicks being on the IL and even when Hicks was healthy, Gardy played because of his defensive capabilities. The same could be said about Judge's defensive prowess.

But Gardy isn't batting second.......when he slumped and Yankees realized that at this point in his career he would only be a .250 hitter they finally moved him down......I dare say Yanks would do the same with Judge........as long as he puts folks in the seats he will remain face of the franchise and will be promoted as such, whether or not it is the right thing to do as far as winning playoff games is concerned.

He's been on a roll lately. Maybe the oblique injury he had has actually healed up?

NYYF Legend

You can't make this up dep't ... (You would be snickered at if you did.)

NYYF Legend

I love his power but still think he takes too many strikes right down the middle. He needs Yogi’s way of hitting......”See the ball...”Swing”!

He's hitting too many home runs and they're going too far.

NYYF Triple Crown

His stats this year are similar to Anthony Santander of the O's. Santander is younger but Judge has substantially more walks and strikeouts than Santander.
    About the same number of at bat's.

Just an odd Judge year.

Wrong thread

Thread Information