+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

According to the NY Post, Boone will have Judge lead off in the bottom of the 1st inning, something Judge hasn't done since high school.

Re: Aaron Judge Performance Thread

I don’t get why Judge is leading off. I don’t even like him batting second. And DJL isn’t in the lineup. He should be leading off. Then Torres. Then judge/Sanchez/Stanton.

That’s a sick 1-5.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I donít get why Judge is leading off. I donít even like him batting second. And DJL isnít in the lineup. He should be leading off. Then Torres. Then judge/Sanchez/Stanton.

Thatís a sick 1-5.
    You are applying logic. How dare you.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

I donít get why Judge is leading off. I donít even like him batting second. And DJL isnít in the lineup. He should be leading off. Then Torres. Then judge/Sanchez/Stanton.

Thatís a sick 1-5.
    The Yankees currently have 4 IF who arguably should be full time starters for 3 positions, someone will be off each day, today it is DJL I don't really have a problem with that.

And leading off Judge is a bit unconventional but it's way better than leading off Gardner.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Judge needs to be at bat when guys are on base. Which means the guys that bat before him need to get on. So I want guys like Torres and DJL up before him. And then Sanchez behind him so he doesn’t get pitched around.

I agree Gardner should NEVER lead off. He’s good for taking pitches so the next guy gets to see what he’s got. But no more of this leadoff crap with all the options we have.

I guess I’m just excited for Judge to be back and I want DJL in there with him to witness the best lineup in baseball.

Perhaps Boone was hoping Judge would smack a leadoff HR.

Thatís a sick 1-5.
    You want your best hitters to bat early so they get as many at bats as possible. Each move earlier in the lineup leads to dozens of more at bats over the course of the season. I believe I read the best hitter, statistically, should be batting second, and thatís where Judge normally will be. He is basically a back up leadoff man. Statistically, the benefit of having a leadoff man with a high on base percentage outweighs any loss of not having his power later in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    You want your best hitters to bat early so they get as many at bats as possible. Each move earlier in the lineup leads to dozens of more at bats over the course of the season. I believe I read the best hitter, statistically, should be batting second, and thatís where Judge normally will be. He is basically a back up leadoff man. Statistically, the benefit of having a leadoff man with a high on base percentage outweighs any loss of not having his power later in the lineup.
    But then SŠnchez was a curious choice to bat second, and Gardner an absurd choice to bat fifth.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    But then SŠnchez was a curious choice to bat second, and Gardner an absurd choice to bat fifth.
    Why? Sanchez is an excellent overall hitter and Brett is excellent against righties. Boone knows what he’s doing. The results speak for themselves.

I wonder how many Major League games Judge requires before he is up to par.

You want your best hitters to bat early so they get as many at bats as possible. Each move earlier in the lineup leads to dozens of more at bats over the course of the season. I believe I read the best hitter, statistically, should be batting second, and that’s where Judge normally will be. He is basically a back up leadoff man. Statistically, the benefit of having a leadoff man with a high on base percentage outweighs any loss of not having his power later in the lineup.
    More at bats seems like a good plan. But I feel like you should give those at bats to guys that get on base. You bat the power guys after them to knock them in. I know the Yankee lineup as it stands now it so loaded it seems like lineup construction can’t really be messed up. But doesn’t it make more sense for a guy who’s potentially going to hit 40-50 homers to bat with guys on base to maximize damage? Solo shots are good but 3 run blasts are better.

Perhaps this is one of those new strategies I haven’t bought into yet. I’m usually fine with most of the strategic changes going on but this one seems like it may not be wise to tinker with. But I’ve been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again.

More at bats seems like a good plan. But I feel like you should give those at bats to guys that get on base. You bat the power guys after them to knock them in. I know the Yankee lineup as it stands now it so loaded it seems like lineup construction canít really be messed up. But doesnít it make more sense for a guy whoís potentially going to hit 40-50 homers to bat with guys on base to maximize damage? Solo shots are good but 3 run blasts are better.

Perhaps this is one of those new strategies I havenít bought into yet. Iím usually fine with most of the strategic changes going on but this one seems like it may not be wise to tinker with. But Iíve been wrong before and Iíll be wrong again.
    Being an old timer here (born in 1952), I'm of the Ralph Houk school where your 3rd, 4th and 5th batters have homerun capability, where the leadoff hitter has a high BA with a penchant for obtaining singles and walks, and your 2nd hitter is good at bunting the leadoff runner over to 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Being an old timer here (born in 1952), I'm of the Ralph Houk school where your 3rd, 4th and 5th batters have homerun capability, where the leadoff hitter has a high BA with a penchant for obtaining singles and walks, and your 2nd hitter is good at bunting the leadoff runner over to 2B.
    I totally agree. But going with the logic of getting your best hitters as many at bats as possible, Judge's OBP is really high. So perhaps when you punch the numbers in the analytics formulas is probably spits out that he should bat second. But again, if he's got the ability to hit a ton of home runs I'm cool with moving him down while the guys that can hit/walk/get on base should be there when he hits it. I am with you.

Why? Sanchez is an excellent overall hitter and Brett is excellent against righties. Boone knows what heís doing. The results speak for themselves.
    SŠnchez is a fine hitter, but several guys have higher OBP than he does. Gardner, with a higher OBP but much lower SLG against righties, would have been a much better choice to bat second.

You should decide based on tweaking the odds in your favor; so,estimes bad odds break your way, but that doesnít mean the decision was right.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    SŠnchez is a fine hitter, but several guys have higher OBP than he does. Gardner, with a higher OBP but much lower SLG against righties, would have been a much better choice to bat second.

You should decide based on tweaking the odds in your favor; so,estimes bad odds break your way, but that doesnít mean the decision was right.
    The on base percentage difference isnít huge. Itís maybe two or three more times on base per 100 plate appearances for some other players. That likely is outweighed by the advantage you get from having more at bats go to the overall better hitter. Thatís my guess at least. Iím sure they have spent hours and hours examining this rather than a couple of minutes speculating like we have.

NYYF Legend

On Friday night it was mentioned that the bottom third of the Yankee lineup had an OBP of .330. With this juggernaut of a lineup I don't think there's going to be a right or wrong when it comes to where someone hits. This lineup will be awesome each and every game.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Addicted Member

Me too, although I go back to the Stengel era. Of course, David Cone would lecture us severely about the bunt.

NYYF Legend

Being from the same era (Born 1951), I agree with you. Unfortunately they all bow to the great God of analytics. So BA and bunting means nothing anymore.

Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

I am banking on Aaron Judge to smack a homer against Jays Aaron Sanchez tonight.

NYYF Legend

I am banking on Aaron Judge to smack a homer against Jays Aaron Sanchez tonight.
    You banked the wrong horse.
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    You banked the wrong horse.
    You should have banked on him smacking a homer against a non-Aaron the next day instead.

NYYF Legend

Ryan Ruocco said Judge hasn't had a walkoff hit. Down 2-0 with 2 on and the Yankees down to their last out, he could have hit a walkoff homerun. He grounded a single to left that Brandon Drury couldn't handle, which drove in Hicks to extend the streak of not being shut out to 172 games. Judge had 4 hits.

Great day for the big man. Love for him to go on a run.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Voit Fan View Post
    Great day for the big man. Love for him to go on a run.

i agree i also would like to see judge hit more home runs ...

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    i agree i also would like to see judge hit more home runs ...
    He is averaging a hr every 17 plate appearances. Over a full healthy season that's around 45 hrs. It certainly doesn't seem like that though. I am also surprised judge is 27 already, I thought he was younger.

Thread Information