+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Aaron Judge Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Being from the same era (Born 1951), I agree with you. Unfortunately they all bow to the great God of analytics. So BA and bunting means nothing anymore.
    Well I was born in 1948 and I think analytics are great. If statistical analysis through computer programs show that batting Betts or Trout or Judge or your best slugger second produces more runs, you should do it. My 50s Yankees would have been better off batting Mickey higher than 4th, probably second given his high OBA. And of course he could drag a great bunt when the analytics required it.

Casey always said he liked to bat Bauer first because he had some HR power, by the way.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Re: 2019 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    He is averaging a hr every 17 plate appearances. Over a full healthy season that's around 45 hrs. It certainly doesn't seem like that though. I am also surprised judge is 27 already, I thought he was younger.
    He came up pretty late compared to most top prospects.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    College guy. Weird, never played rookie ball, started at AA in his second season and was promoted to AAA the same year. It was the struggle from AA to AAA in 2015 that slowed him down a bit, but he still got called up in 2016 after less than 3 full minor league seasons. Did not realize that he was originally drafted by Oakland in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    College guy. Weird, never played rookie ball, started at AA in his second season and was promoted to AAA the same year. It was the struggle from AA to AAA in 2015 that slowed him down a bit, but he still got called up in 2016 after less than 3 full minor league seasons. Did not realize that he was originally drafted by Oakland in 2010.
    Yeah, I had an casual interest in him from high school onwards simply due to his height.

Yeah, I had an casual interest in him from high school onwards simply due to his height.
    Drafted in the 31st round. I guess my point was that he didn't really spend too much time toiling in the minors. Interestingly, he did not put up big HR numbers in college. Really good hitter, but it did take some time for his to develop.

NYYF Legend

Exit velocity is actually the highest it's been in his career by a fair amount (in only a ~40 game sample, but still). Leads all of MLB (again) by a bunch over Yelich and then the usual Nelson Cruz/Gallo suspects. Strikeout rate and walk rates still the same - he has not been slowed by injuries when he's actually on the field.

Pretty wild to lead the entire major leagues in exit velocity 3 years running, assuming he keeps it up for this year.

Yes he did. It kinda stinks that he will probably never have a chance at getting some career all time high numbers like hrs or rbis. He is definitely an injury risk as well.

Yes he did. It kinda stinks that he will probably never have a chance at getting some career all time high numbers like hrs or rbis. He is definitely an injury risk as well.

Given his batting eye and easy power, I could imagine him being a valuable hitter as a DH into his late 30s, enough to accumulate numbers. The Ks will likely get worse, but overall value should be good
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Well I was born in 1948 and I think analytics are great. If statistical analysis through computer programs show that batting Betts or Trout or Judge or your best slugger second produces more runs, you should do it. My 50s Yankees would have been better off batting Mickey higher than 4th, probably second given his high OBA. And of course he could drag a great bunt when the analytics required it.

Casey always said he liked to bat Bauer first because he had some HR power, by the way.

Yes, I remember those teams (from 1950 on) very well. Your "would have been better off," with its hint of condescension--present also in the pat you give Stengel for his remark about Bauer--made me smile. Casey's methods led to 10 AL pennants and 7 World Series.

A similar condescension might be directed, I guess, at McCarthy's teams, 8 pennants and 7 WS titles.

The reign of unbridled "analytics," with its launch angles, indifference to strikeouts, and HR fetishism would be "better off" generating hitters like Williams, Musial, Dimaggio, Mantle, Mays and others of that era who could hit for more than sufficient power while also amassing high batting averages and (e.g., Williams, Dimag, and Musial) modest K numbers. The latter meant, of course, putting the damned ball in play instead of walking to the bench while looking back at the big board to see how badly one struck out with risp. The age of analytics--incarnated in the BB, K, and HR syndrome--thinks it's adding excitement when, in fact, it's adding boredom and exasperation. It surely must be a contributing factor (although not the only factor) in the decline of attendance.

My favorite is W.A.R., an untestable example of statistical superstition.

My impression is that there has been no measurable improvement in the actually-played game during the "analytics era." I suspect there has been considerable improvement in assessing player ability (e.g., spin rates, exist velos, etc.). That's a different kettle of fish, albeit an important one. But it would be further superstition--or maybe just what people "presentism"--if we started thinking that resurrected fans, who died before the Jacobite (i.e., BillJamesian) era, would, upon seeing the game today, say, "Oh, man, what we were missing in the Cobb/Hornsby, Ruth/Gehrig, Dimag/Williams/Musial, or Mantle/Mays eras."

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post

The Yankees have always been defined by their slugging and Murderersí Row image, but those 1950s teams really had great pitching, which was overshadowed by the headlines that went to the offense. Very underrated pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Given his batting eye and easy power, I could imagine him being a valuable hitter as a DH into his late 30s, enough to accumulate numbers. The Ks will likely get worse, but overall value should be good
    Now it's all about the health with judge. But he won't come anywhere near all time numbers. Pujols had like 250+ hrs by 27. Judge will be lucky to have 100.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    The Yankees have always been defined by their slugging and Murderersí Row image, but those 1950s teams really had great pitching, which was overshadowed by the headlines that went to the offense. Very underrated pitching.

Indeed! Raschi, Reynolds, and Lopat gave the Yankees three TOR pitchers. THREE. Had Ford not been drafted after 1950, they would have had four. Wasn't one of Lopat's biggest admirers Ted Williams? I think Williams even hired him to be a pitching coach when Ted had that manager's gig.

Released Outright

Now it's all about the health with judge. But he won't come anywhere near all time numbers. Pujols had like 250+ hrs by 27. Judge will be lucky to have 100.
    Yanks need to hire the best training staff to make sure Judge doesn't miss game due to muscle injuries like the one he suffered this year. The wrist one was bad luck

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    Yanks need to hire the best training staff to make sure Judge doesn't miss game due to muscle injuries like the one he suffered this year. The wrist one was bad luck
    Other than his rookie season he's missed 50 games in '18 and the most games he can play this season if he plays every game from now on is 97.
    Hopefully next year in his age 28 season he can play what he played in '17 (155).

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Drafted in the 31st round. I guess my point was that he didn't really spend too much time toiling in the minors. Interestingly, he did not put up big HR numbers in college. Really good hitter, but it did take some time for his to develop.
    In college, his coaches and he really focussed on high average hitting.

At that size, there are certainly concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Have always expected he'd play first once he gets to around age 32yo.

NYYF Legend

I

At that size, there are certainly concerns.
    It's not just size. It's the absolute, beautiful but terrifying violence of that swing. His injury this year(oblique), as far as I know, was from swinging the bat, not running bases or outfield. This may have something to do with his reduced long ball rate since his return. It's the devil's tradeoff.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

NYYF Legend

what a great throw he made to 2B yesterday to catch the runner over-running the bag. It looked so effortless until he actually released the ball - then it looked like a shotgun had been fired.

I hope he's not sitting today. Day game after a night game. We know Sanchez will probably sit - would rather not be without both bats.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    His height certainly works against him when it comes to pitches around the knees. It doesn't seem fair sometimes. He needs to develop an uppercut swing (with a little loop) for those low ones.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    His height certainly works against him when it comes to pitches around the knees. It doesn't seem fair sometimes. He needs to develop an uppercut swing (with a little loop) for those low ones.
    He should not adjust his swing at all.

Devoted Member

I agree. How about putting together a video of these "highlights" and sharing with MLB?

I can't wait for the computers to call balls and strikes.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

This is why he is great. He never does.

NYYF Legend

Do you think good hitters swing differently at pitches in different locations or speeds?

Do you think good hitters swing differently at pitches in different locations or speeds?
    Of course, although I'm not sure the question you're asking is the same thing as what people are talking about when they say he shouldn't adjust his swing.

The most noticeable adjustment to pitch location that hitters make -- to my eye at least -- has to do with pulling a ball or hitting it the other way. Derek Jeter was a pretty extreme example -- he used that inside-out swing so much that it really stood out when he really jumped on a pitch and pulled it (the first-pitch home run in Game 4 of the 2000 World Series being one example).

I've often joked that Aaron Judge reminds me of what Derek Jeter would look like on gamma rays ... I'm not saying they are at all the same player, but I would certainly say that like Jeter, Judge has natural opposite-field hitting ability but will open up and pull the ball when he gets the right pitch. My point is, I'm guessing that's probably more a matter of when he starts his swing than changing his bat angle etc.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thatís not adjusting their swing. Not in the way that phrase is actually meant.

Thread Information