+ Reply to Thread

Paul O'Neill and the "shift"

Could you imagine how many items he would of broke if he had to face thes"shift" if it was around when he played...
    "Show me what you got!" Big head from "Rick and Morty"

Re: Paul O'Neill and the "shift"

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    Could you imagine how many items he would of broke if he had to face thes"shift" if it was around when he played...
    I would imagine alot of players would have been very outspoken and upset.

However I'm willing to wager that Paul O'neill would have adjusted and beat the shift. He was that good of a hitter.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

However I'm willing to wager that Paul O'neill would have adjusted and beat the shift. He was that good of a hitter.
    I’ll tell you what, you’re probably right.

You are probably right, he would do anything for a hit and probably slash the ball to the left side.

I was annoyed he retired in 2001. He had a 20-20 year and retired. Could of played a few more years easily. Loved his passion.
    "Show me what you got!" Big head from "Rick and Morty"

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    You are probably right, he would do anything for a hit and probably slash the ball to the left side.

I was annoyed he retired in 2001. He had a 20-20 year and retired. Could of played a few more years easily. Loved his passion.
    Did not love his petulance.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Did not love his petulance.
    Never viewed it as petulance.

He mostly seemed to get upset at himself, which I wouldn't deem "petulant."

Fantastic hitter.

Remember when we traded Kelly for him. Was at school with my friends and went through my baseball cards and whipped out an O'Neill (that was how you had to look up stats back in the day) and was completely underwhelmed. Who would've predicted his batting average in his 2nd year in NY would be .100 higher than his career average in Cincy.

One of the best trades in our history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Fantastic hitter.

Remember when we traded Kelly for him. Was at school with my friends and went through my baseball cards and whipped out an O'Neill (that was how you had to look up stats back in the day) and was completely underwhelmed. Who would've predicted his batting average in his 2nd year in NY would be .100 higher than his career average in Cincy.

One of the best trades in our history.
    I remember not being happy about the trade either. Boy was I wrong. He wound up becoming one of my favorite Yankees of all time. He’s one of the few I actually spent the cash on to get an official jersey. Not a knock off or one “close enough”. I spent the money to get the official on-field replica.

I am a card collector myself. With all of my favorite players I try to put together a set of rookie cards, a certified autograph card, a game used jersey card, refractor card, and a low run serial numbered card. With O’Neill I have two that mean the most. One is an autographed card with a game used jersey patch, numbered 21/21 (I got really lucky on that). My other favorite is his very first Yankee card. Nothing special, just his card out of the Topps Traded set. It’s glossy which is cool, but it’s not about the money, it’s probably worth like $5, if that. I searched far and wide to find his Yankee “rookie” card. I have all the Cincy rookies but this one is gem for me.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

I remember not being happy about the trade either. Boy was I wrong. He wound up becoming one of my favorite Yankees of all time. He’s one of the few I actually spent the cash on to get an official jersey. Not a knock off or one “close enough”. I spent the money to get the official on-field replica.

I am a card collector myself. With all of my favorite players I try to put together a set of rookie cards, a certified autograph card, a game used jersey card, refractor card, and a low run serial numbered card. With O’Neill I have two that mean the most. One is an autographed card with a game used jersey patch, numbered 21/21 (I got really lucky on that). My other favorite is his very first Yankee card. Nothing special, just his card out of the Topps Traded set. It’s glossy which is cool, but it’s not about the money, it’s probably worth like $5, if that. I searched far and wide to find his Yankee “rookie” card. I have all the Cincy rookies but this one is gem for me.
    Yep, after Mattingly, O'Neill is right there as my favorite. Just loved everything about the way he played the game. It seemed pretty obvious to me that the team desperately missed his intensity when he retired.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Yep, after Mattingly, O'Neill is right there as my favorite. Just loved everything about the way he played the game. It seemed pretty obvious to me that the team desperately missed his intensity when he retired.

He was of the same mold as Stankey, Martin and Pinella to name a few.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    He was of the same mold as Stankey, Martin and Pinella to name a few.

Andy
    Scooter hated Eddie Stankey (I think he spiked him at 2B once)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

I think O’Neill would have been able to adjust to the shift after he realized all the anger and temper outburst were not doing him any good.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Stanky's .410 OBP is incredible for a /260 hitter.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post

It happened in the fifth inning of game 3 of the 1951 world series between the NY Giants and Yankees.
    Stanky was playing as he always had, aggressively. I adored Scooter but Stanky did what he had to do and Phil just hated to lose

I believe that was Mickey's rookie year and when he got hurt chasing after a fly ball, then deferring to DiMag and stepping into a watering spring head, hurting his knee which bothered him the rest of his careet.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Stanky's .410 OBP is incredible for a /260 hitter.
    Scooter often talked about Stanky in the TV booth. He never forgot what he did to him on that play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    Scooter often talked about Stanky in the TV booth. He never forgot what he did to him on that play.

Just like Yogi never forgot Jackie Robinson stealing home in the WS. To his last breath he still stated Robbie was out.

Andy

Thread Information