+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 25 26 27 28
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Re: 2019-20 NHL, AHL and IIHF Hockey Season Thread

The Dallas Stars live to fight another day!

Corey Perry scored his second of the game including the Game 5 winner at 9:23 of the second overtime period and the Stars denied the Tampa Bay Lightning of their Stanley Cup title celebration with a 3-2 win in Double Overtime!

John Klingberg fired a drive that was stopped in front of the net and Perry poked the puck past Andrei Vasilevskiy for the winner.

Stars goalie Anton Khudobin was another hero with 39 saves as the 2020 Stanley Cup Finals will have a Game 6 back inside Edmonton, AB's Rogers Place on Monday September 28.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

NYYF HOF

Here is what I find interesting about the Stars. They appear to be out matched and are constantly spending gobs of time in their own zone. But they still find a way to win. OT and DblOT examples tonight. TBL dominating the play, Stars constantly with tired players, both teams getting away with egregious penalties, multiple chances for TBL that just miss or Khoudobin gets to it somehow. Yet, they win. So weird.

Also; I'm a fan of let them play, especially in OT; but there were two plays, both semi-breakaways where Hedman and Shattenkirk (I think) absolutely need to go the box. On a great scoring chance a trip happens, even in OT, it should be called.
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

Routinely wishing bad mojo on the Bruins.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    Here is what I find interesting about the Stars. They appear to be out matched and are constantly spending gobs of time in their own zone. But they still find a way to win. OT and DblOT examples tonight. TBL dominating the play, Stars constantly with tired players, both teams getting away with egregious penalties, multiple chances for TBL that just miss or Khoudobin gets to it somehow. Yet, they win. So weird.

Also; I'm a fan of let them play, especially in OT; but there were two plays, both semi-breakaways where Hedman and Shattenkirk (I think) absolutely need to go the box. On a great scoring chance a trip happens, even in OT, it should be called.
    The Dallas Stars just refuse to quit.

In my opinion, this is a big game for the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday because if the Stars outlast them in Game 6, all the pressure is on Jon Cooper and company in a possible winner-take-all Game 7 on Wednesday September 30.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    The Dallas Stars just refuse to quit.

In my opinion, this is a big game for the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday because if the Stars outlast them in Game 6, all the pressure is on Jon Cooper and company in a possible winner-take-all Game 7 on Wednesday September 30.
    Which was the same.position the Lightning were in after losing game 5 to the Isles in OT. Maybe if Nelson had scored on that breakaway in the OT of game 6 the Isles would be playing the Stars right now.

Tampa Bay Lightning captain forward Steven Stamkos out for the rest of the 2020 Stanley Cup Finals
    https://www.nhl.com/news/tampa-bay-l...al/c-319209268

2020 Stanley Cup Finals digest: September 28
    - Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals on tap

- Will the Tampa Bay Lightning finish off the Dallas Stars in Game 6 or will the Western Conference champions force a winner-take-all Game 7 on Wednesday?

The redemption is complete for Jon Cooper and the Tampa Bay Lightning!

The Bolts win their first Stanley Cup since 2004 after blanking the Dallas Stars in Game 6, 2-0, and win the 2020 Stanley Cup Finals series, 4-2.

Brayden Point started the scoring on the power play for his 14th of the playoffs for the only goal of the first period at 12:23.

Blake Coleman wired a one-timer past Anton Khudobin for his fifth of the playoffs at 7:01 of the second period to make it 2-0 Tampa Bay after two.

Khudobin had 27 saves in a losing effort.

Tampa Bay goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped all 22 Stars shots for his first shutout of the playoffs and what a time to do it.

From a very disappointing and embarrassing first round exit in a Columbus Blue Jackets sweep a year ago to their second ever Stanley Cup title inside Edmonton, Alberta, Canada's Rogers Place for the Bolts.

Tampa Bay Lightning D Victor Hedman gets the Conn Smythe trophy.

And what a nice touch by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman to have the whole Tampa Bay Lightning stand around the Stanley Cup before presenting it to the captain Steven Stamkos.

Chris Stewart retires; joins Philadelphia Flyers as player development coach
    https://www.nhl.com/news/chris-stewa...ns/c-319211454

Brandon Pirri traded to the Chicago Blackhawks
    https://www.nhl.com/news/golden-knig...ra/c-319215224

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Tampa Bay Lightning D Victor Hedman gets the Conn Smythe trophy.

And what a nice touch by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman to have the whole Tampa Bay Lightning stand around the Stanley Cup before presenting it to the captain Steven Stamkos.
    Bettman himself said the Bolts requested it so please don't give him the credit. Hedman was my choice for MVP so glad he won the trophy.

BB55's Series-by-Series Three Stars - 2020 Stanley Cup Finals: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Dallas Stars

TBL wins Best-of-Series, 4-2.

1st Star: Brayden Point, TBL: 8 P (5 G (1 GWG), 3 A), 62.2% Face-Off Wins, 7 Hits, 3 Blocked Shots, 3 Takeaways

2nd Star: Andrei Vasilevskiy, TBL: 4-2, 2.14 GAA, .911 SV%, 1 Shutout

3rd Star: Jamie Oleksiak, DAL: 2 P (1 G (1 GWG), 1 A), +6, 27 Hits, 25 Blocked Shots, 2 Takeaways

NYYF HOF

Early take for 2021: Stars miss the playoffs

NYYF Legend

Early take for 2021: Stars miss the playoffs
    How so? I checked CapCentral and they are bringing back the same team with money to spare. Bishop only costs a hair under $5 million annually.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Islanders have made it to the Semi Finals 11 times. The winner of that series has gone on to win the Cup in 9 of those 11 years.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    How so? I checked CapCentral and they are bringing back the same team with money to spare. Bishop only costs a hair under $5 million annually.
    I think Khudobin regresses.

I stated this earlier, but I saw them be a very counter-attacking team. They spent a lot of time in their own zone, when Tampa started creating a line of D at the blue line they didn't move to the dump and chase. When they tried, Tampa beat them to the puck.

They play a tough game, but overall, I couldn't believe they beat the Knights. I thought the Knights had a better series. They scored on what seemed like a high % of their scoring chances. Other teams will learn from what the Lightning did. Again, just my perception and maybe I'm underestimating them.

I should qualify, if the playoffs revert to their previous incarnation, not the round robin (even though I loved the round robin).

NYYF Legend

I stated this earlier, but I saw them be a very counter-attacking team. They spent a lot of time in their own zone, when Tampa started creating a line of D at the blue line they didn't move to the dump and chase. When they tried, Tampa beat them to the puck.

They play a tough game, but overall, I couldn't believe they beat the Knights. I thought the Knights had a better series. They scored on what seemed like a high % of their scoring chances. Other teams will learn from what the Lightning did. Again, just my perception and maybe I'm underestimating them.

I should qualify, if the playoffs revert to their previous incarnation, not the round robin (even though I loved the round robin).
    Khudobin is 34 and is a free agent. Could save cap space and go with Bishop and Oettinger
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Khudobin is 34 and is a free agent. Could save cap space and go with Bishop and Oettinger
    Good points; I still think they miss.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Islanders have made it to the Semi Finals 11 times. The winner of that series has gone on to win the Cup in 9 of those 11 years.
    Every team the Flyers have lost to in the Cup Final since the 80's became a multi-cup winning dynasty, so I feel your pain... even though you jerks were one of those dynasties.
    Stay "We" my friends

NYYF Triple Crown

This Dallas team had one of the strangest runs to the Cup Final I've ever seen in my life.

Coach gets fired, Owner rips the captain and star players, league shuts down for 4 months, team struggles to score goals all season then outscores one of the best offenses in Colorado during a record breaking series, then just as their offense dries up their backup goalie turns into Dominik Hasek and shuts down the 2nd best offense in the West when they beat Vegas.

I think they absolutely regress next year, but I don't think they miss the playoffs entirely.

I also loved the round robin. Even if they don't keep that format, I'd like them to continue re-seeding after each round.
    Stay "We" my friends

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Every team the Flyers have lost to in the Cup Final since the 80's became a multi-cup winning dynasty, so I feel your pain... even though you jerks were one of those dynasties.
    Not exactly true. Edmonton was already the defending Champion when they beat the Flyers in the 85 Final. And actually you should count the 70s. Flyers lost the 76 Final to Montreal starting them on their 4 Cup run.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This Dallas team had one of the strangest runs to the Cup Final I've ever seen in my life.

Coach gets fired, Owner rips the captain and star players, league shuts down for 4 months, team struggles to score goals all season then outscores one of the best offenses in Colorado during a record breaking series, then just as their offense dries up their backup goalie turns into Dominik Hasek and shuts down the 2nd best offense in the West when they beat Vegas.

I think they absolutely regress next year, but I don't think they miss the playoffs entirely.

I also loved the round robin. Even if they don't keep that format, I'd like them to continue re-seeding after each round.
    Still remember the late 70s and early 80s when the NHL reseeding after every round. You could play anyone in every round.

BB55's PostMortem - The 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs is one of the most exciting, astonishing and remarkable postseasons that I've ever seen in sports.

I have to give Gary Bettman and the National Hockey League a lot of kudos to pull this knockout tournament with zero positive COVID-19 results, creating two 'bubbles' in Toronto and Edmonton to mimic playoff hockey and soundboards for fans reactions, and seeing a lot of stories created in the 65-day, 24-team journey.

I also have to give the NHL kudos for creating a new Collective Bargaining Agreement before the playoffs started instead of waiting for a new CBA after the 2020-21 season.

One of the stories that I enjoyed during this postseason was the backup goalies having some exposure to the hockey world like Columbus Blue Jackets' Joonas Korpisalo's modern day (shots on goal official statistic) era NHL record for most saves in a playoff game with 85, Thatcher Demko possibly grabbing the #1 reins with the Vancouver Canucks and Jaroslav Halak taking over for Tuukka Rask for the Boston Bruins.

But the backup goalie story was Anton Khudobin who led the Dallas Stars to their best Stanley Cup playoff run since the glory years of 1999 and 2000.

You also have the New York Islanders having their best Stanley Cup playoff run since 1993 and hopefully, that run ushers a successful period of hockey involving the New York City area teams in the Islanders, Rangers and Devils.

And another great story is racial unity. Minnesota Wild's Matt Dumba saying an emotional speech against racial injustice. The formation of the Hockey Diversity Alliance which hopefully creates more racial equality.

And seeing the NHL following the NBA to postpone games when the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Wisconsin occurred. A transformative moment for the NHL from the bubble.

Of course, you gotta take the good along with the bad.

Jim Rutherford's wheeling and dealing in hopes of seeing Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin win another Stanley Cup with the Pittsburgh Penguins was all for naught.

Despite having the Stanley Cup playoffs in Toronto and Edmonton, another year tacked on a Canadian-based NHL team's drought of winning a Stanley Cup title. Yes, including you Toronto Maple Leafs and Edmonton Oilers who spent a lot of money on offense.

And one city suffered from a double-whammy: Las Vegas, Nevada. Why? Las Vegas was considered to be a U.S. 'bubble' city to host some Stanley Cup Playoff games until the rising COVID-19 rates shifted to the North of the Border. Seeing their local team, the Golden Knights, upset by the Dallas Stars added more salt to their wounds.

But the main story of the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs was the redemption tour of the Tampa Bay Lightning who pulled a 2019 Virginia Cavaliers run from embarrassment one year to champion the next.

Since winning their first Stanley Cup in 2004, the Bolts made only one Stanley Cup Finals appearance in 2015 despite Steve Yzerman building a quality contender.

After Yzerman stepped down, assistant GM Julien Brisebois succeeded him.

Tampa Bay thought it was going to be their year in 2019 after a dominating regular season winning the Presidents' trophy with 62 wins until the Columbus Blue Jackets pulled off one of the greatest upsets in Stanley Cup playoff history after sweeping the Bolts out of the first round.

BriseBois altered the team with many key additions for the 2020 title run with Zach Bogosian, Blake Coleman, Barclay Goodrow, Patrick Maroon and Kevin Shattenkirk. All those acquisitions paid off.

The Bolts' learned that you must start strong and finish strong with aplumb to win it all and they join a lot of teams who had embarrassing losses one year and winning it all the next.

The TBL's Stanley Cup celebration back home
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQVfZu4f1sY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zv_4MK9Q0

Now with the successful 24-team playoff format, will there be calls for playoff expansion? Probably, but Bettman and the NHL won't agree on that unless another nasty disease throws a monkey wrench in the plans.

Well, I enjoyed another season of hockey. I'll all see you all next season.

Thread Information