+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2019 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

He hit a three-run homer in SWB's 16-3 loss at Durham. Durham's Jake Cronenworth had a home run, triple, double, and 2 walks, but no single. Only 9 MLB players from 1908 to the present have done that. Of those players, Carlos Santana is the only active one, and Willie Mays is the best one.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He hit a three-run homer in SWB's 16-3 loss at Durham. Durham's Jake Cronenworth had a home run, triple, double, and 2 walks, but no single. Only 9 MLB players from 1908 to the present have done that. Of those players, Carlos Santana is the only active one, and Willie Mays is the best one.
    So, are you saying that going a single short of the cycleóplus two walksóis a rarer feat than hitting for the cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    So, are you saying that going a single short of the cycle—plus two walks—is a rarer feat than hitting for the cycle?
    I would assume so. It basically boils down to what is more common, getting one single or two walks (plus no singles) in the same game.

I am not looking forward to Gian's return because he isn't likely to listen to Marcus Thames's advice to hit the ball where it's pitched instead of trying to pull the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    I am not looking forward to Gian's return because he isn't likely to listen to Marcus Thames's advice to hit the ball where it's pitched instead of trying to pull the ball.
    Iím looking forward to our 3 power hitting additions. I donít like being in second place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Iím looking forward to our 3 power hitting additions. I donít like being in second place.
    Good thing they currently are not in second place
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    **This Space For Rent**

LeMahieu, 3B
    Judge, RF
    Stanton, LF
    Enacarcion, DH
    Sanchez, C
    Didi, SS
    Torres, 2B
    Voit, 1B
    Hicks, CF

What a starting lineup!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    Good thing they currently are not in second place
    Youíre right. Fangraphs isnít updated. If they keep playing like the past 2 weeks, they probably will be soon though.

LeMahieu, 3B
    Judge, RF
    Stanton, LF
    Enacarcion, DH
    Sanchez, C
    Didi, SS
    Torres, 2B
    Voit, 1B
    Hicks, CF

What a starting lineup!
    Not gonna lie, that's a very nice looking starting lineup. Now, just need to go all in for Scherzer or even Bumgarner.

LeMahieu, 3B
    Judge, RF
    Stanton, LF
    Enacarcion, DH
    Sanchez, C
    Didi, SS
    Torres, 2B
    Voit, 1B
    Hicks, CF

What a starting lineup!
    Moving Voit that far down would be a mistake, one of our best OBP guys. Iíd probably have him hit 3.

Against RHP
    DJL
    Judge
    Voit
    Sanchez
    Stanton
    Didi
    Encarnacion
    Torres
    Hicks

Against LHP
    DJL
    Judge
    Voit
    Stanton
    Encarnacion
    Sanchez
    Torres
    Hicks
    Urshela

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Moving Voit that far down would be a mistake, one of our best OBP guys. Iíd probably have him hit 3.

Against RHP
    DJL
    Judge
    Voit
    Sanchez
    Stanton
    Didi
    Encarnacion
    Torres
    Hicks

Against LHP
    DJL
    Judge
    Voit
    Stanton
    Encarnacion
    Sanchez
    Torres
    Hicks
    Urshela
    Against RHP, Gardner has hit much better than Hicks has. Just something to keep an eye on. You canít give up on Hicks this early obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Against RHP, Gardner has hit much better than Hicks has. Just something to keep an eye on. You canít give up on Hicks this early obviously.
    Hicks had a 132 wRC+ against RHP last year. He may get back into the leadoff spot against RHP when he gets going but DJ has been too good there.

Gardner will rotate in plenty against RHP though giving rest to one of the 3 OFs.

I was hoping for a trade straight up the Parrot Post Man for Stanton I know everyone must think I'm crazy but think of the contracts straight up trade the M'S COULD DRAW MVP SEE crowds .nice

NYYF Legend

1. Interesting that you know his relationship with Marcus Thames, doubly interesting that you know Marcus Thames has a philosophy to "hit the ball where it's pitched." Source?

2. We didn't see the best of Stanton last year, he pissed me off personally plenty of times I admit but even in a bad year he was still good. "Good" Stanton is one of the most dynamic offensive players in baseball, I actually look forward to taking a look.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    1. Interesting that you know his relationship with Marcus Thames, doubly interesting that you know Marcus Thames has a philosophy to "hit the ball where it's pitched." Source?

2. We didn't see the best of Stanton last year, he pissed me off personally plenty of times I admit but even in a bad year he was still good. "Good" Stanton is one of the most dynamic offensive players in baseball, I actually look forward to taking a look.
    Great points

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post

Against RHP
    DJL
    Judge
    Voit
    Sanchez
    Stanton
    Didi
    Encarnacion
    Torres
    Hicks

Against LHP
    DJL
    Judge
    Voit
    Stanton
    Encarnacion
    Sanchez
    Torres
    Hicks
    Urshela
    didi hits lefties just fine

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    didi hits lefties just fine
    Yea but if youíre going to rest him and they certainly will, you do it against LHP whenever you reasonably can. Plus Gio deserves to play although he also hits RHP better. So Didi doesnít need to sit against lefties but Iíd do it more often than not especially since Gardner will never play against lefties so if youíre resting someone it should be an INF with Didi the obvious choice.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Not gonna lie, that's a very nice looking starting lineup. Now, just need to go all in for Scherzer or even Bumgarner.
    Does anyone really think Scherzer will be available?

And doe anyone think Bumgarner is worth it barring a complete salary dump.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Does anyone really think Scherzer will be available?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    And doe anyone think Bumgarner is worth it barring a complete salary dump.
    Absolutely.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by Poppingtags View Post
    Absolutely.
    I think he could really struggle in the ALE and our bandbox.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

The 2019 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

I think it's very telling that I came looking for this thread and had to create it - even Encarnarcion & David Hale had their own threads lol.

As a fan base, I don't know if Stanton will ever be praised or even just accepted by us. It seems like no matter what he does we'll either want more of the successes or just remember all the times he fails. It kind of reminds me of rooting for Dave Winfield - a great talent, but never seemed to do enough.

Anyway, I wanted to discuss Stanton's batting stance and game plan when he goes up to bat. I think he's too far back from the plate and too closed to be able to handle the pitches he sees, as a whole.

No way he can cover down and away, no way he can cover high and inside, IMO. Just six inches closer to the plate and just a wee bit more open should help him, in my uneducated opinion. He's much more vulnerable to swings-and-misses than most of the other hitters on this squad.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Re: The 2019 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Thanks! I'll merge these.

Edit: Done

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I think it's very telling that I came looking for this thread and had to create it - even Encarnarcion & David Hale had their own threads lol.

As a fan base, I don't know if Stanton will ever be praised or even just accepted by us. It seems like no matter what he does we'll either want more of the successes or just remember all the times he fails. It kind of reminds me of rooting for Dave Winfield - a great talent, but never seemed to do enough.

Anyway, I wanted to discuss Stanton's batting stance and game plan when he goes up to bat. I think he's too far back from the plate and too closed to be able to handle the pitches he sees, as a whole.

No way he can cover down and away, no way he can cover high and inside, IMO. Just six inches closer to the plate and just a wee bit more open should help him, in my uneducated opinion. He's much more vulnerable to swings-and-misses than most of the other hitters on this squad.
    I was traveling and haven’t been watching. So I can’t comment on a new stance. However, I have no problem with Stanton. He had a very good season last year. Many fans can’t separate the player’s salary from the player but some here definitely can.

No one can blame Stanton if he chooses to stand farther from home plate than normal. I am sure that the baseball to his face years ago has him standing where he stands.

Thread Information