+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Re: 2019 Giancarlo Stanton Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    I'm not trying to downplay the injury, but anytime you have a player that missed virtually all of the season prior, your expectations for the next season should be at pretty much 0. Any production is just a bonus. The yankees made it to game 6 of the alcs, with stanton going 3 for 18 or .166 in the playoffs and only playing 18 regular season games. Stanton is pretty much a lost cause at this point, that contract is going anywhere. Any production just smile lol. I'm worried about judge, sanchez, andujar and should the Yankees give them large contracts...
    It doesn't materially change your point, but for accuracy's sake Stanton was 3 for 13 (.230 BA) with 4 BB and a sac fly in the '19 playoffs. His OBP was .412.

The Yankees really need him to get healthy, stay healthy, and mash. Enough of the pulls and strains bruh. You're 30.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    It doesn't materially change your point, but for accuracy's sake Stanton was 3 for 13 (.230 BA) with 4 BB and a sac fly in the '19 playoffs. His OBP was .412.

The Yankees really need him to get healthy, stay healthy, and mash. Enough of the pulls and strains bruh. You're 30.
    With the way stanton swings the polls and strains are gonna happen.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

With the way stanton swings the polls and strains are gonna happen.
    Then it is imperative that he show some iniative and come up with a different training regiment. This is ridiculous and unacceptable.
    "Big John's been drinking since the river took Emmy Lou." - Neil Young

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    I had to go way back to find a Stanton performance thread. I don't think, as Shanghai Bob said some months ago, that he's "soft." But he is fragile in the extreme, as, in time, we may come to think, Judge is as well. That's not very good for the Yankees, although this present problem with Judge may not be very serious (at least they're doing their best to suggest it isn't). But I wouldn't bet too much on the likelihood that this season they'll be together often in the middle of the lineup.

But Stanton! A walking catastrophe. He tears a bicep. Then something else goes wrong. Then something else. Now, unbelievably, something else! There used to be a character, Joe BFSTPLK, in Al Capp's L'il Abner cartoons. A rain cloud perpetually over his head:

Attachment 23550

The Yankees have had two contenders for the Joe BFSTPLK award: first Ellsbury and now Stanton.

And yet, man is he ever ripped, we hear. Power lifts models. Haunts the weight room. Etc. Big deal. When I was a kid (during the Punic Wars), it was the prevailing wisdom that this sort of thing was unwise for ball players. Made 'em tight, the old coaches said. Strong but tense, etc.

Well, as I said, the "old" coaches, and old is, of course, always wrong.

Whatever the cause, Stanton's fragile body is becoming a bore and putting the team's 2020 fortunes at considerable risk.
    Stanton's new nickname should be "Big Jake".

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Stanton's new nickname should be "Big Jake".
    Stanton is a walking catastrophe. It is one thing after another. Time to think about eating a major portion of his contract and move him. Just chalk it up to a big miss.

Quote Originally Posted by twsalso View Post
    stanton is a walking catastrophe. It is one thing after another. Time to think about eating a major portion of his contract and move him. Just chalk it up to a big miss.
    full no trade clause

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

Are we sure this had nothing to do with Adriana Lima.

Insofar as she was in the weights room, she's another instance of what may be a problematical training regimen, whether pieces of metal or babes.

Reminds me of Nick Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    Reminds me of Nick Johnson.
    With the injuries yeah, but nothing else. Johnson played first, didnt sign a contract anywhere near 13 years 325 million, and never won an mvp.

Ellsbury reminds me of stanton. Both outfielders, both hurt all the time, both signed large contracts, and ellsbury was 2nd in the mvp voting one year.

NYYF Triple Crown

With the injuries yeah, but nothing else. Johnson played first, didnt sign a contract anywhere near 13 years 325 million, and never won an mvp.

Ellsbury reminds me of stanton. Both outfielders, both hurt all the time, both signed large contracts, and ellsbury was 2nd in the mvp voting one year.
    FYI. I don't know if you saw this or if posted. I still feel he will get healthy and be a force but I can not believe he hurt himself warming up in the OF in ST already. We need to see how our new trainer does with another/new exercise program (lives in Mass and I hope is with the team). I still don't like the news he seems to have another job in Mass and will not be on travel games except at Fenway.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/26/gianca...llsbury-vibes/

Giancarlo is much more athletic than I am. About 9 years younger. Im sure eats and drinks way more healthier than me. Trains more than I do correctly (I run almost daily). Probably stretches better too. And Im sure he has trainers around him all the time and can afford the best of the best supplements and all that.

Yet I am 1000x more durable than him. Its pathetic. I played basketball and flag football most my 30s. Rarely got hurt. This guy cant even run about the outfield without pulling a hammy or straining a calf.

Joke.

8 more years of this worst contract in baseball history by the Marlins.

I was hoping we got through 3-4 years at least before this point. But here we are.
    Derek Jeter - Mariano Rivera - Bernie Williams - Don Mattingly
    My Core Four Ive Seen in my Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    FYI. I don't know if you saw this or if posted. I still feel he will get healthy and be a force but I can not believe he hurt himself warming up in the OF in ST already. We need to see how our new trainer does with another/new exercise program (lives in Mass and I hope is with the team). I still don't like the news he seems to have another job in Mass and will not be on travel games except at Fenway.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/26/gianca...llsbury-vibes/
    I did not see that article yet. I guess great minds think alike.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Giancarlo is much more athletic than I am. About 9 years younger. Im sure eats and drinks way more healthier than me. Trains more than I do correctly (I run almost daily). Probably stretches better too. And Im sure he has trainers around him all the time and can afford the best of the best supplements and all that.

Yet I am 1000x more durable than him. Its pathetic. I played basketball and flag football most my 30s. Rarely got hurt. This guy cant even run about the outfield without pulling a hammy or straining a calf.

Joke.

I was hoping we got through 3-4 years at least before this point. But here we are.
    Maybe. I think it's the training for the whole team. Brian made great changes in our staff this off season. I like all of it. Bench, pitching and training. I think Eric Cressey and Blake worked together too. Eric just hired ex pitcher to his organization on training because the pitcher has to be healthy like Stanton. Cressey wrote a book on off season training back in 2012 and Stanton did not come into ST ready. I want this whole team to buy into Mendoza - Blake - Cressey because what we were doing was not working and I want a WS this year. Why hire Eric and all his systems if we don't use it? Like Brian answer to Meredith during the game on NOT using the dye on Sevy after the season - no difference (denial) is not an answer.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post

Joke.

Maybe your method is better than his. Maybe he's too finely tuned, the "wires" of the body too taut. Maybe a for-display body is not a baseball body.

Maybe your method is better than his. Maybe he's too finely tuned, the "wires" of the body too taut. Maybe a for-display body is not a baseball body.
    Richard neer was talking about this Saturday morning on wfan. These beach bod type players are not meant for baseball.

Corndogs and beer > Weights and Kale
    Derek Jeter - Mariano Rivera - Bernie Williams - Don Mattingly
    My Core Four Ive Seen in my Lifetime

Thread Information