+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Importer-exporter

Re: Let's Go Islanders! 2019--2020!

Wheels. Coming. Off.

I've always suspected that Lamoriello's "long game" is to have the big team in place for 2021 when they move into the new arena (the move to let Lehner go and bring in Sorokin's bestie plays into this suspicion). So it isn't going to break my heart if they don't make the playoffs this year in the crazy-hard east. But DAMN this is hard to watch.
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Wheels. Coming. Off.

I've always suspected that Lamoriello's "long game" is to have the big team in place for 2021 when they move into the new arena (the move to let Lehner go and bring in Sorokin's bestie plays into this suspicion). So it isn't going to break my heart if they don't make the playoffs this year in the crazy-hard east. But DAMN this is hard to watch.
    I see the whole Sorokin thing. I think it's a terrible strategy, making a young goaltender that much of a focal point. A better strategy would be to see that your team was not only in strong playoff positioning, but within close proximity of the top spot. Make aggressive moves now. Or two weeks ago, really. It's certainly more attractive to future free agents. After they got bounced last year, Lou acknowledged that he failed to provide his coach with more "pop" on offense. I bet his coach noticed as well.

NYYF Legend

Missing the playoffs would be crushing after having the 3rd best record in the entire NHL prior to NYE. It's been a downward spiral since 2020 began.

Sorokin should be just as good for the Isles as Sheshkikan (however it's spelled ) is for the Rangers. They were drafted the same year, are the same age and had similar KHL stats. He is worth the wait.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

A 1st and 2nd for Pageau, who is now extended for 6 years. Probably a steep price, but Id rather take a chance making a push than collecting back-half-of-1st round picks indefinitely. Salary cap looks tight for a while.

Pageau certainly making a mark early.

NYYF Legend

So far Pageau has been great. But they really need Clutterbuck and Cizikas back soon.

Depressing

NYYF Legend

Something I have been thing about give the Josh Ho-Sang saga. Is he the Clint Frazier of Islanders (or vice versa)? The similarities are tremendous.

Former first round draft picks
    Flashy outgoing personalities who like media attention
    sent back and forth to the minors multiple times even when scoring/hitting
    defensively challenged
    Polarizing and dividing fan base opinions
    Frequently a fan target for trading away

Management treatment of the two are night and day though. Cashman acquired Clint and I trully thinks he wants him to succeed while Lamoriello and Trotz inherited JHS and have treated him like Milton from Office Space. He was recently transferred to the Dallas Stars AHL team.

Also unlike JHS Frazier has trade value as Lamoriello couldn't give Ho-Sang away.

NYYF Legend

You are pretty well right on all counts. With the team spiraling out of control you would think Ho Sang what have gotten a chance. But then again Lou does not seem to want to take a chance with any of our minor leaguers. They went 4-1 when Bellows was brought up and then he was sent back down. 2 seasons ago Aho played 30 games for us and now he never gets closer than sitting in the press box. And Hickey is over his injuries but can't crack the lineup too.

NYYF Legend

Russian star goaltender Llya Sorokin refuses extension from his KHL team paving the way for him to sign with the Islanders after April 30th.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Russian star goaltender Llya Sorokin refuses extension from his KHL team paving the way for him to sign with the Islanders after April 30th.
    Should be fun seeing he and Shestyorkin facing off for the next several years.

NYYF Legend

Great news. It will hopefully put to rest the "he's never coming here!" narrative going around the circles among Islanders fans.

NYYF Legend

He can only sign a 1 year rookie deal. Becomes a restricted free agent after that.

NYYF Legend

August 1st. Perfect time to start the playoffs. Go Islanders!

Thread Information