+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Death Star Fully Operational

Re: 2019 Didi Gregorius Thread

So none of you think Didi's bad season was due to coming back from TJS that affected his swing? I see the Yankees decline giving him a qualifying offer. I think he'll have a much better season in 2020, so good luck to him wherever he plays next season.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    So none of you think Didi's bad season was due to coming back from TJS that affected his swing? I see the Yankees decline giving him a qualifying offer. I think he'll have a much better season in 2020, so good luck to him wherever he plays next season.
    He can still resign with the Yankees.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Could be, but I rather see his further decline take place elsewhere. We already got his best years at bargain rate prices - time to go in another direction.

Importer-exporter

Does anyone remember when Didi was playing poorly in his first season here and there were rumblings in the media that trading for Did was Gene Michael's idea, in one of Stick's last bits of involvement in the Yankee FO? Maybe I'm "misremembering" as Clemens would say. My Googling isn't revealing much. But I'm pretty sure I remember that meme, the Yankees traded for Didi because Stick loved him so much. This was when things were going badly.

Once Didi started playing better, it was all about Cashman's shrewd eye for talent.

Anyone else remember that or am I Clemens-like "misremembering."?
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Does anyone remember when Didi was playing poorly in his first season here and there were rumblings in the media that trading for Did was Gene Michael's idea, in one of Stick's last bits of involvement in the Yankee FO? Maybe I'm "misremembering" as Clemens would say. My Googling isn't revealing much. But I'm pretty sure I remember that meme, the Yankees traded for Didi because Stick loved him so much. This was when things were going badly.

Once Didi started playing better, it was all about Cashman's shrewd eye for talent.

Anyone else remember that or am I Clemens-like "misremembering."?
    Pretty sure that was made up. Wouldn't be surprised if it was fake news from this site from the usual Cashman haters.
    https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...icle-1.3499106
    Gregorius — who was sold to Cashman as a future impact piece by now senior VP of baseball operations Tim Naehring
    Either way, it's ultimately Cashman's call. Obviously, it's not a one-person show, but credit and responsibility starts at the top.

NYYF Triple Crown

I do too and agree with you he will be better next year. I do like him and wish him the best. Watching him replace Jeter was tough and I watched him grow from his first year. I want the money to get a SP and move Torres to SS. (I would have let Chapman walk too because he is probably NOT have a better year). I just want to mention I think Didi was a great player in the dugout.

I like DiDi as a vet on the club and his LH bat.

2yrs for $30Mil would be great I would think.

That would give the young guns time to figure out if they can be everyday players, like Gio and Andujar. Don't forget if DJ has another good year he will need a big salary increase in 2021...or be gone.

2020 Yankee Infield is a mess: DJ, Gio, Adujar, Torres, Wade, Ford, Estrada, Voit...did I miss someone? Who fills the 4 spots for April???
    C- The Great "Sanchino"
    1B-
    2B-
    SS-
    3B-
    DH- Stanton- "just hit .250, 35HRs and 110RBIs"

I think he can and most likely will bounce back, at least to some extent in 2020, and I think the Yankees could be a better team with him than without him. But I also think they could be an even better team spending the money on starting pitching. So I hope that they are able to use what would be his salary to sign one of the several top arms on the market, ideally -- but improbably -- Cole of course.

Regardless, I sure enjoyed watching and rooting for Didi while he was here, at least after the first couple of months. I love great SS plays and there were several years at the end of Jeter's career when we did not see any of those.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Could be, but I rather see his further decline take place elsewhere. We already got his best years at bargain rate prices - time to go in another direction.
    I mean the TJ/midseason injury return was absolutely related to his poor season. This always impacts players historically (Buster did an article on this), which is why it was dumb to waste the 12m on him for half a season. I was adamant about this in the offseason. He should have been non-tendered or tendered and traded.

So to recap, we wasted 12m on him that could have been spent to get an upgrade to Corbin from Happ. We got bad baseball from him in 2019 and in the playoffs, making us weaker as a team. We didn't get anything from him leaving (no QO/trade). Trifecta of bad GM'ing/planning.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I mean the TJ/midseason injury return was absolutely related to his poor season. This always impacts players historically, which is why it was dumb to even waste the 12m on him for a half season. I was adamant about this in the offseason. He should have been non-tendered or tendered and traded.

So to recap, we wasted 12m on him that could have been spent to get an upgrade to Corbin from Happ. We got bad baseball from him in 2019 and in the playoffs, making us weaker as a team. We didn't get anything from him leaving (no QO/trade). Trifecta of bad GM'ing/planning.
    Eh, I don't think they were pursuing Corbin regardless. I don't think they wanted to go 6 years on him.

I actually thought they would put the QO on him; I probably would have taken that risk.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Eh, I don't think they were pursuing Corbin regardless. I don't think they wanted to go 6 years on him.

I actually thought they would put the QO on him; I probably would have taken that risk.
    He didn't mention anything about the length of the deal:

“We certainly add a lot of good healthy dialogue with the agent on (Corbin),” Cashman added. “But obviously the bigger ticket the payroll item, the bigger the impact and domino effect it has elsewhere, so we repackaged that money and produced various assets like DJ LeMahieu and Ottavino amongst others. That might not have materialized if we went all in on one particular player. Again, it’s all inter-related.”
    Obviously this is Brian Cashman manipulation at it's worst, mentioning DJL/Otto while failing to mention Happ/Didi/ect, but that's certainly how Cashman sees it. We're probably going to see the same thing when it comes to the Chapman signing.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    He didn't mention anything about the length of the deal:

Obviously this is Brian Cashman manipulation at it's worst, mentioning DJL/Otto while failing to mention Happ/Didi/ect, but that's certainly how Cashman sees it. We're probably going to see the same thing when it comes to the Chapman signing.
    I read that and think he wouldn't have gone that high regardless of whether they brought Didi back (seems like it was more about the price point). But it's a verbal Rorshach test; I don't really think it means anything.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by IAyankee View Post
    I like DiDi as a vet on the club and his LH bat.

2yrs for $30Mil would be great I would think.

That would give the young guns time to figure out if they can be everyday players, like Gio and Andujar. Don't forget if DJ has another good year he will need a big salary increase in 2021...or be gone.

2020 Yankee Infield is a mess: DJ, Gio, Adujar, Torres, Wade, Ford, Estrada, Voit...did I miss someone? Who fills the 4 spots for April???
    C- The Great "Sanchino"
    1B-
    2B-
    SS-
    3B-
    DH- Stanton- "just hit .250, 35HRs and 110RBIs"
    How about the same players who filled the IF role so capably while Didi was out?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

I'll miss him. He was a good Yankee. Also fun to have around.

Good luck with the Phillies, Didi!

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post

I'll miss him. He was a good Yankee. Also fun to have around.

Good luck with the Phillies, Didi!
    It was impossible not to like Didi, even if it wasn’t that hard to let him walk.
    Last edited by JL25and3; 12-11-19 at 05:05 AM.

Good luck Didi

NYYF Cy Young

I'm going to miss him- besides being a great replacement for Jeter and making the transition smooth, he had the personality to replace Swisher/Granderson. Good luck to him!

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It was impossible not to like a Didi, even if it wasn’t that hard to let him walk.
    Agree

Going to miss you Didi, I enjoyed watching you play. I will continue to follow your Twitter feed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    **This Space For Rent**

I wish for him the best in Philly...but will miss that sweet lefty swing!

Didi was an enjoyable player to watch. I hope he does well in Philly.
    "Thurman (Munson) was indispensable and irreplaceable...." - Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner

NYYF Legend

I will continue to wish him success at Philly. He was a good and reliable player with NY. Sad to see him leave.

Good luck to Sir Didi. He was always fun to root for and seemed like a great teammate. If he can handle NY, he can handle Philly.

NYYF Legend

See ya, Didi! You had a good run as a
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

I simultaneously enjoyed and hated watching him play. I think he oozes talent, a lot of it still untapped. Love his swing. Love his defense. But he would drive me absolutely insane with the degree of boneheadedness he'd display situationally, at the plate and on the bases. I mean a pitcher could walk the bases loaded on 12 straight pitches with no outs and you could count on Didi hacking at the first pitch even if it wasn't middle middle. Trying to advance bases and running into inexcusable outs.

All that said, I think he did handle the post-Jeter transition really well, seemed to be well regarded in the clubhouse, and at times he carried the team to victories with his bat and his glove. I think on a one year deal he's going to make those fans happy. I'll root for him.

Thread Information