+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

What Yankees Classic Had The Most Opponents Who Played For The Yankees At Some Point?

On April 10, 1998, the Yankees beat Oakland 17-13 in a snowy home opener. Oakland had four players who played for the Yankees at some point. They were Rickey Henderson, Jason Giambi, Aaron Small, and Buddy Groom. The last three played for the Yankees in the same game on July 23, 2005, which was an 8-6 loss at the Los Angeles Angels. It's possible all three of them played in the same game again, but I didn't check after I found one time. Small went 10-0 that year. In that game, he pitched in relief in between his first two starts for the Yankees. If you combine starts and relief appearances, in 2005 the Yankees went 7-1 when Small allowed at least 2 runs and 4-3 when he allowed 0 or 1. The Yankees obviously won when he pitched a shutout, but lost both starts when he allowed 1 run.

TLDR:
    1. What Yankees Classic had the most opponents who played for the Yankees at some point?
    2. What Yankees Classic had the most opponents who played in the same game for the Yankees at some point?

NYYF Legend

Re: What Yankees Classic Had The Most Opponents Who Played For The Yankees At Some Po

Didn't the Yankees do a lot of trades with KC A's back in the late 50s early 60s including several multiplayer deals? I would guess one of those KC teams had a few former Yankees appear in some games v the Yankees. But that's just a guess.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Re: What Yankees Classic Had The Most Opponents Who Played For The Yankees At Some Po

I'm betting on HelloNewman to fill in the rest for me, but the Yankees sent 10 players to the Orioles in one trade in 1954. No idea how many later appeared on the other side of the diamond. Presumably Miranda, Woodling and Triandos.....

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    On April 10, 1998, the Yankees beat Oakland 17-13 in a snowy home opener.
    The snowy opener was actually the April 9, 1996 game against the KC Royals, a 7-3 victory. I believe the only member of those Royals who ever played for the Yankees was their CF that day, Johnny Damon, although it's possible one or more of the others had brief stints with the Yankees (not going to look it up). The 1998 home opener was a bright, sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Didn't the Yankees do a lot of trades with KC A's back in the late 50s early 60s including several multiplayer deals? I would guess one of those KC teams had a few former Yankees appear in some games v the Yankees. But that's just a guess.
    Since EvanJ repeats the term "Yankees Classic" I am guessing he means one of the games in the YES Network rotation of "Yankees Classics."
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Since EvanJ repeats the term "Yankees Classic" I am guessing he means one of the games in the YES Network rotation of "Yankees Classics."
    Oh.

Well, in a less-than-classic on 5/20/55, the Orioles featured Gus Triandos, Jim McDonald, Gene Woodling, Willy Miranda, Harry Byrd, Art Schallock and Don Johnson. Doesn't include former Yankee farmhand Hal Smith.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Oh.

Well, in a less-than-classic on 5/20/55, the Orioles featured Gus Triandos, Jim McDonald, Gene Woodling, Willy Miranda, Harry Byrd, Art Schallock and Don Johnson. Doesn't include former Yankee farmhand Hal Smith.
    Good research.

I'm going to check a few box scores from 1919 or so, I'm guessing there were a ton of "YankSox" in one of those, including of course, Babe Ruth.

E: In the game of June 22, 1919, the Red Sox played Babe Ruth, Frank Gilhooley, Mike McNally, Roxy Walters, Everett Scott and Sad Sam Jones. That's only 6 though.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    The snowy opener was actually the April 9, 1996 game against the KC Royals, a 7-3 victory. I believe the only member of those Royals who ever played for the Yankees was their CF that day, Johnny Damon, although it's possible one or more of the others had brief stints with the Yankees (not going to look it up). The 1998 home opener was a bright, sunny day.

That's what I'm referring to. Thank you for the weather correction. Both games were Yankees Classics, so the game I gave still qualifies.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Here's one: June 27, 1958, at Kansas City. The A's used former or future Yankees Roger Maris, Bob Cerv, Hector Lopez, Harry "Suitcase" Simpson, Joe DeMaestri, Bob Grim and Tom Gorman. Seven. Also the aforementioned ex-Yankee farmhand Hal Smith was in the game for the A's.

On July 28, also in KC, there were again 7: All of the above, except take out Bob Grim and sub in Bud Daley.

Edit: Aaaand now I've found another one from that year with 8: September 14, also in KC. Maris, Lopez, Cerv, DeMaestri, Simpson, Grim, Daley and Ralph Terry, who took the loss, 12-7 in 14 innings.

NYYF Legend

Can someone provide a list of the 10 games they show over and over and over and over in order to be able to definitively answer this question?
    There's a sinister plot a brewin'

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Can someone provide a list of the 10 games they show over and over and over and over in order to be able to definitively answer this question?
    Off the top of my head I can try:

Cone perfect game
    Wells perfect game
    Righetti no hitter
    Abbott no hitter
    1978 Bucky Dent
    2003 opener/Matsui grand slam
    2004 vs Boston/Jeter dive
    2001 vs AZ/Jeter walkoff
    2000 vs Mets/WS Game 1
    1998 vs SD/Tino grand slam

NYYF Legend

You can add the 1996 Snow opener to that list. Also the 1979 Munson Memorial game vs Baltimore where Murcer drove in all the runs.

2001 World Series vs Diamondbacks games 4 and 5

NYYF Legend

1977 & 1978 WS game 6 against the Dodgers. 1976 & 1977 LCS game 5 against the Royals. Also 1978 game 3 LCS against the Royals.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    2004 vs Boston/Jeter dive
    I can't watch this game without thinking of the year in which it happened. It should be banned from broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Also 1978 game 3 LCS against the Royals.
    I don't believe I've ever seen this on YES.

Always wondered why the 2000 ALCS clincher against Seattle (Justice home run) never made the rotation. That was a pretty exciting game.

2000 WS Game 1 featured 4 Mets that would eventually play for you guys. Leiter, Benitez, Zeile and Ventura.

Quote Originally Posted by SI Baseballman View Post
    2000 WS Game 1 featured 4 Mets that would eventually play for you guys. Leiter, Benitez, Zeile and Ventura.
    He was ours before he was yours too.

& I loved Robin Ventura.

Thread Information