+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

2022 FIFA World Cup Association Football/Soccer Thread

Alright everybody, it's another edition of FIFA World Cup action.

This time, the 2022 FIFA World Cup edition will take place in Qatar from November 21 to December 18.

Qualifying will start on June 6, 2018.

Qatar qualified as hosts. Who will be the 31 national teams to join in as the Middle East makes their World Cup hosting debut?

And will France successfully defend their title or will there be a new champion?

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Association Football/Soccer Thread

2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - Asia (AFC)

Format
    http://www.insidethegames.biz/articl...2022-world-cup

https://www.dawn.com/news/1471045/pa...te-on-april-17

First round: 12 teams (ranked 35–46) play home-and-away over two legs. The six winners advance to the second round.

Second round: 40 teams (ranked 1–34 and six first round winners) are divided into eight groups of five teams to play home-and-away round-robin matches. The eight group winners and the four best group runners-up advance to the third round of FIFA World Cup qualification as well as qualifying for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup finals.

Third round: To follow.

Fourth round: To follow.

AFC First Round

Draw: April 17, 2019
    http://www.the-afc.com/competitions/...nd-1-opponents

Fixtures: June 6-11, 2019

From FIFA.com and The-AFC.com

Note: All Matches at Local Times.
    https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/qatar2...minaries/#asia

BB55's Picks - 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying: Asia (AFC)

AFC First Round

Mongolia over Brunei
    Macau over Sri Lanka
    Laos over Bangladesh
    Malaysia over Timor-Leste
    Cambodia over Pakistan
    Guam over Bhutan

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Our girls are the best.

It sucks they have to put up with this nonsense.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    BB55's Picks - 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying: Asia (AFC)

AFC First Round

Mongolia over Brunei
    Macau over Sri Lanka
    Laos over Bangladesh
    Malaysia over Timor-Leste
    Cambodia over Pakistan
    Guam over Bhutan
    You got 4 of 6 right, and one of the ones you got wrong was because of a forfeit.

Mongolia 2-0 Brunei, Brunei 2-1 Mongolia, Mongolia won aggregate 3-2

Macau 1-0 Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka 3-0 Macau because Macau did not travel and forfeited, Sri Lanka won aggregate 3-1

Laos 0-1 Bangladesh, Bangladesh 0-0 Laos, Bangladesh won aggregate 1-0

Malaysia 7-1 Timor-Leste, Timor-Lester 1-5 Malaysia, Malaysia won aggregate 12-2 (both legs were in Malayasia, but Timor-Leste wouldn't have advanced if they hosted one leg)

Cambodia 2-0 Pakistan, Pakistan 2-1 Cambodia, Cambodia won aggregate 3-2

Bhutan 1-0 Guam, Guam 5-0 Bhutan, Guam won aggregate 5-1

Occasionally teams do not attempt to qualify or are suspended by FIFA, but I wonder if Macau is the first team to win every qualifier they played and be eliminated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_F...C_Second_Round has the pots for the Round 2 draw, which will be on July 17. Round 2 will have 8 groups of 5. Winners and 4 of 8 second place teams advance. I hate when some second place teams advance but not others. My preference would be to eliminate 4 more teams in Round 1 and have Round 2 with 6 groups of 6 advancing 2 teams. Groups of 5 and groups of 6 take 10 matchdays, with every team having 2 matchdays off in groups of 5.

One difference between this World Cup and others is that confederations will do draws separately. Normally there is one qualifying draw for all confederations. Concacaf, which is North and Central America and the Caribbean, has not announced their format.

2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - North, Central America and the Caribbean (CONCACAF)

Format: July 30, 2019

From FIFA.com and CONCACAF.com
    https://www.concacaf.com/en/world-cu...ion-qualifiers

Top-seeded round: The top 6 ranked CONCACAF teams based on the FIFA rankings of June 2020 will play home-and-away round-robin matches in one group (often referred to as the "Hexagonal"). The top three teams will qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, and the fourth-placed team advances to a play-off against the winner of the lower-seeded knockout phase in order to advance to the inter-confederation play-offs.

Lower-seeded round: The remaining CONCACAF teams (ranked 7 to 35 based on the FIFA rankings of June 2020) will be divided into eight groups (five groups of four teams and three groups of three teams) to play home-and-away round-robin matches. The winners of each group will advance to a knockout phase, each of the quarterfinals, semifinals, and final to be played in a two-legged home-and-away series. The winner of the knockout phase will advance to a play-off against the fourth-placed team of the top-seeded round in order to advance to the inter-confederation play-offs.
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 07-13-19 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Our girls are the best.

A shout out to the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup champion, United States on winning their fourth FIFA Women's World Cup and the first since Germany to win back-to-back FIFA Women's World Cup.

These women have embarrassed our country. Poor Sportswomanship and more. When is the last time you seen professionals act this way after winning?
    They are all about the name on the back of the jersey opposed to the front, there is a reason why the yankees don't have names on the back, and
    The Yankees contend that wearing the pinstripes, sans name, emphasizes the team over the individual.

AS IT SHOULD BE..It should be country over individual, yet you have multiple members of this team in front of cameras saying ME ME ME ME ME ME ME... And some of it rather vulgar, i don't recall the last time i saw another team act like these women have acted.

Disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Our girls are the best.

I'd link you to some of their obnoxious videos, but i'd get banned again probably a month this time. They are classless.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moscutter View Post
    These women have embarrassed our country. Poor Sportswomanship and more. When is the last time you seen professionals act this way after winning?
    They are all about the name on the back of the jersey opposed to the front, there is a reason why the yankees don't have names on the back, and
    The Yankees contend that wearing the pinstripes, sans name, emphasizes the team over the individual.

AS IT SHOULD BE..It should be country over individual, yet you have multiple members of this team in front of cameras saying ME ME ME ME ME ME ME... And some of it rather vulgar, i don't recall the last time i saw another team act like these women have acted.

Disgrace

Behold the field in which I grow my f**ks and see that it is barren.

NYYF Legend

Disgrace
    You must have never watched the Dream Teams back in the 90s/00s when they decided to let NBA players play internationally. They did far worse than anything the US women did while they were winning the World Cup.

Disgrace
    This is ridiculous. Athletes showboat and curse all the time, in every sport. I've seen it plenty in the Olympics and on the international stage too.

Disgrace
    What part was vulgar?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - North, Central America and the Caribbean (CONCACAF)

Format: July 30, 2019

From FIFA.com and CONCACAF.com
    https://www.concacaf.com/en/world-cu...ion-qualifiers

The June 2020 FIFA/Coca-Cola Rankings
    https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-rank...2582/#CONCACAF
    Mexico (18), USA (30), Costa Rica (39), Jamaica (54), Honduras (61) and El Salvador (69)

Panama (75) and Canada (78) miss out
    The change happened so all teams could play in a group stage rather than many of them being knocked after one or two rounds that are two games against the same opponent. Fans on BigSoccer say it is extremely unfair to the teams ranked 7th through 35th in Concacaf*. 20 of them will be in 5 groups of 4, and 9 of them will be in 3 groups of 3. The teams in groups of 4 will have 1/128th of a World Cup spot, which is the smallest for any team in qualifying for a long time if not the smallest ever. By that I mean winning a group of 4*8 (from 3 two leg series against other group winners)*2 (from a playoff against the fourth place Hexagonal team)*2 (from an interconfederational playoff against a team from South America, Asia, or Oceania) = 128. The FIFA Rankings formula created last year makes teams move too slow. All Concacaf teams have Nations League games in September, October, and November. Canada is grouped with USA and Cuba, so Canada will need to be USA to get 9 of a possible 12 points, and Cuba is a weak opponent in terms of how much a team's ranking is helped by beating them. Jamaica and El Salvador are in League B, which doesn't have the best 12 teams, and they are by far the top team in their Nations League group in the FIFA Rankings, so Canada needs help to reach the top 6 in Concacaf in the FIFA Rankings.

The good news for teams 7th through 35th is that World Cup 2026 will have 48 teams, so it will be easier to qualify.

*Concacaf is an acronym, but they chose to change their name from CONCACAF to Concacaf. I prefer all capitals, but I type it how Concacaf calls themselves.

Newsday said that an ad of Rapinoe at a subway station was vandalized.

Disgrace
    Huh? The USWNT had 'arrogance' in France, but Jill Ellis, Carli Lloyd, Megan Rapinoe and company showed that they belonged on top of the women's association football/soccer world by winning another major tournament in the FIFA Women's World Cup. They won eight major tournaments (four FIFA WWC and four Summer Olympic Gold Medals), no other team has four.

A disgrace for the USWNT would've been eliminated in the Round of 16 or quarterfinals.

In contrast, the England men's side has been a total underachiever.

NYYF Legend

Disgrace
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

AFC Second Round

Format and Draw: July 17, 2019

Format
    The 40 teams, including 2022 FIFA World Cup hosts Qatar, will be drawn into eight groups of five to play home-and-away matches. Six winners from the first round will compete in this round. The eight group winners and the four best runners-up will advance to the third round. Matches in this round will double as part of the 2023 AFC Asian Cup qualifying campaign.
    https://newsin.asia/asias-2022-footb...ational-teams/

If Qatar win their group or finish as one of the four best second-placed teams, their spot in the final round will be given to the fifth best second-placed team.
    http://www.the-afc.com/asiancup/news...hina-2023-race

Seeding and draw
    http://www.the-afc.com/asiancup/news...atar-and-china

Group A: China PR, Syria, Philippines, Maldives and Guam
    Group B: Australia, Jordan, Chinese Taipei, Kuwait and Nepal
    Group C: Iran, Iraq, Bahrain, Hong Kong and Cambodia
    Group D: Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Palestine, Yemen and Singapore
    Group E: Bangladesh, Oman, India, Afghanistan and Qatar
    Group F: Japan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Myanmar and Mongolia
    Group G: United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia
    Group H: South Korea, Lebanon, North Korea, Turkmenistan and Sri Lanka

Matchdays: September 5, 2019-June 9, 2020

2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - Africa (CAF)

CAF First Round

Format and Draw: July 29, 2019

From FIFA.com, CAFOnline.com and other sites

The first round will consist of 14 home-and-away ties, featured the 28 lowest ranked teams in Africa.
    http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsCont...an-World-.aspx

Seeding: https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/a...-2022tm-berths

Matchups:
    Ethiopia-Lesotho
    Somalia-Zimbabwe
    Eritrea-Namibia
    Burundi-Tanzania
    Djibouti-Eswatini
    Botswana-Malawi
    Gambia-Angola
    Liberia-Sierra Leone
    Mauritius-Mozambique
    Sao Tome and Príncipe-Guinea-Bissau
    South Sudan-Equatorial Guinea
    Comoros-Togo
    Chad-Sudan
    Seychelles-Rwanda

First Leg: September 2, 2019
    Second Leg: September 10, 2019

Notes:
    - Away-goals rule applies.
    - Somalia will play their home match outside Somalia due to security concerns from the ongoing civil war.

BB55's Picks - 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - Africa (CAF)

CAF First Round

Note: Away goals rule applies.

Picks are in Bold.

Ethiopia-Lesotho

Somalia-Zimbabwe

Eritrea-Namibia

Burundi-Tanzania

Djibouti-Eswatini

Botswana-Malawi

Gambia-Angola

Liberia-Sierra Leone

Mauritius-Mozambique

Sao Tome and Principe-Guinea-Bissau

South Sudan-Equatorial Guinea

Comoros-Togo

Chad-Sudan

Seychelles-Rwanda

BB55's Picks - 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifying - Asia (AFC)

AFC Second Round

Group A
    Group Winner: China
    2. Philippines
    3. Syria
    4. Guam
    5. Maldives

Group B
    Group Winner: Australia
    2. Jordan
    3. Nepal
    4. Kuwait
    5. Chinese Taipei

Group C
    Group Winner: Iran
    2. Iraq
    3. Bahrain
    4. Cambodia
    5. Hong Kong

Group D
    Group Winner: Saudi Arabia
    2. Uzbekistan
    3. Palenstine
    4. Singapore
    5. Yemen

Group E
    Group Winner: Qatar
    2. Oman
    3. India
    4. Bangladesh
    5. Afghanistan

Group F
    Group Winner: Japan
    2. Myanmar
    3. Kyrgyzstan
    4. Tajikistan
    5. Mongolia

Group G
    Group Winner: United Arab Emirates
    2. Vietnam
    3. Thailand
    4. Indonesia
    5. Malaysia

Group H
    Group Winner: South Korea
    2. North Korea
    3. Turkmenistan
    4. Lebanon
    5. Sri Lanka

Five best runners-up since Qatar won their second round group:
    Philippines, North Korea, Uzbekistan, Iraq and Vietnam

CAF First Round

Two-legged Fixtures: September 2-10, 2019

From FIFA.com and CAFOnline.com

Note: Away goals rule applies.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/qatar2022/preliminaries/

AFC Second Round

Group Matchday 1-2 Fixtures: September 5-10, 2019

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/qatar2...minaries/#asia

CAF First Round

First Leg FT Scores: September 4-7, 2019

From FIFA.com and CAFOnline.com

September 4, 2019
    Ethiopia 0:0 Lesotho

Eritrea 1:2 (0:0) Namibia

Djibouti 2:1 (1:0) Eswatini

Liberia 3:1 (1:0) Sierra Leone

Mauritius 0:1 (0:1) Mozambique

Sao Tome and Principe 0:1 (0:0) Guinea-Bissau

South Sudan 1:1 (0:1) Equatorial Guinea

September 5, 2019
    Somalia 1:0 (0:0) Zimbabwe

Chad 1:3 (0:1) Sudan

Seychelles 0:3 (0:2) Rwanda

September 6, 2019
    Gambia 0:1 (0:1) Angola

Comoros 1:1 (0:1) Togo

September 7, 2019
    Botswana 0:0 Malawi

AFC Second Round

Group Matchday 1 FT Scores: September 5, 2019

Group A
    Guam 0:1 (0:1) Maldives
    Philippines 2:5 (1:2) Syria

Group B
    Chinese Taipei 1:2 (0:1) Jordan
    Kuwait 7:0 (2:0) Nepal

Group C
    Cambodia 1:1 (1:1) Hong Kong
    Bahrain 1:1 (1:0) Iraq