Looks like the only way Frazier is delt is if it is for Scherzer

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/new-york-yankees

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    Looks like the only way Frazier is delt is if it is for Scherzer

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/new-york-yankees
    Scherzer is not the only pitcher out there who has multiple years of control - Boyd, for example.

Still, I agree with this mentality - Frazier is worth more than a rental of MadBum or Stroman.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Still, I agree with this mentality - Frazier is worth more than a rental of MadBum or Stroman.
    Back in the Stone Age, when the Reserve Clause was still a thing, a trade was Player A for Player B. Sure, a General Manager would still need to consider the age of the involved players, and whether they were ascending or declining, but you were trading for (in theory) the remainder of their careers.

Today, you need to consider the term for which your team will retain control. And, those terms ought to be front and center when considering the relative merits of a trade. Consider Madison Bumgarner and Clint Frazier, even up. Using old school thinking, the Giants would probably want more, as MadBum has an established resume, and Clint doesn't. But, considering 'control,' you're talking about four YEARS of Clint Frazier, compared to three MONTHS of Madison Bumgarner. No way do I do that deal, even-up, if I'm Cashman.

Unfortunately, both sportswriters and fans tend to use that old-school A-for-B perspective, rather than considering how long a team can expect to keep a player.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Back in the Stone Age, when the Reserve Clause was still a thing, a trade was Player A for Player B. Sure, a General Manager would still need to consider the age of the involved players, and whether they were ascending or declining, but you were trading for (in theory) the remainder of their careers.

Today, you need to consider the term for which your team will retain control. And, those terms ought to be front and center when considering the relative merits of a trade. Consider Madison Bumgarner and Clint Frazier, even up. Using old school thinking, the Giants would probably want more, as MadBum has an established resume, and Clint doesn't. But, considering 'control,' you're talking about four YEARS of Clint Frazier, compared to three MONTHS of Madison Bumgarner. No way do I do that deal, even-up, if I'm Cashman.

Unfortunately, both sportswriters and fans tend to use that old-school A-for-B perspective, rather than considering how long a team can expect to keep a player.
    perspective is indeed important

the cubs traded 6 years of gleyber for 3 months of champman.

at this point though im not conviced madbum is a game changer so i dont do that deal either
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    the cubs traded 6 years of gleyber for 3 months of champman.
    This is the trade that establishes the exception to the rule. The Cubs hadn't won it all since the Roosevelt Administration......the THEODORE Roosevelt Administration. Chapman was the piece they (correctly) thought would bring them to the Promised Land. So, for their very unique circumstances, giving up years of control of Gleyber Torres made sense for them. But, in almost any other scenario imaginable, that would have been a terrible trade, from Chicago's point of view.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Wow talk about sour grapes...

1) Eck used to fist pump every K, then point to the on deck circle and scream at the next hitter "you're next"... It was the epitomy of showing up the other team and being overly cocky and brash.. Stones...glass houses.. I mean damn Eck just hurled a 10 ton boulder down the stairs in a waterford crystal house..

2) As I have said about guys who pimp homers, it applies to pitchers too. If you don't want them doing that, the solution is simple, beat the tar out of them. You cannot pimp a homer after you strike out, and you cannot go apepoop on the mound if you get your rearend handed to you.. And if you really think you are being shown up in a way that is inappropriate, then there is always the "send a message with a high and tight one" solution.

3) This is also the way the game is these days. This is a business, and we are in the NBA/NFL mindset, and that is who MLB is competing against for dollars and hearts. I'll see a guy dunk in the NBA while down 30 with 1 minute left, and he dances and gyrates enough to win "dancing with the stars". Same for the linebacker in the NFL who sacks the backup QB in the waning moments of a garbage time blowout, and then flexes and preens like he is trying to win Mr Universe even though his team is down by 4 touchdowns. But that gets you on ESPN.. It is the "look at me" syndrome and it is what is marketed these days. MLB's "let the kids play" marketing is heading right towards that. Like it or not, its time to get used to it..
    @MStrooo6

New York vino vibe. If you know, you know!🍷

Future Yankee? Loves NY.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @MStrooo6

New York vino vibe. If you know, you know!��

Future Yankee? Loves NY.
    Well yeah, he's FROM New York. That's part of the appeal (along with him being Boricua) for some fans in acquiring him.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

@MStrooo6

New York vino vibe. If you know, you know!🍷

Future Yankee? Loves NY.

I'm warming to it.. just not sure I want to trade the farm for him..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Triple Crown

I'm warming to it.. just not sure I want to trade the farm for him..
    Kristie Ackert

@ByKristieAckert

Stroman said he is focusing on day-to-day, but can't totally avoid rumors. Made it very clear between the lines he would be happy to be traded to the #Yankees.
    #BlueJays

Wow talk about sour grapes...

1) Eck used to fist pump every K, then point to the on deck circle and scream at the next hitter "you're next"... It was the epitomy of showing up the other team and being overly cocky and brash.. Stones...glass houses.. I mean damn Eck just hurled a 10 ton boulder down the stairs in a waterford crystal house..

2) As I have said about guys who pimp homers, it applies to pitchers too. If you don't want them doing that, the solution is simple, beat the tar out of them. You cannot pimp a homer after you strike out, and you cannot go apepoop on the mound if you get your rearend handed to you.. And if you really think you are being shown up in a way that is inappropriate, then there is always the "send a message with a high and tight one" solution.

3) This is also the way the game is these days. This is a business, and we are in the NBA/NFL mindset, and that is who MLB is competing against for dollars and hearts. I'll see a guy dunk in the NBA while down 30 with 1 minute left, and he dances and gyrates enough to win "dancing with the stars". Same for the linebacker in the NFL who sacks the backup QB in the waning moments of a garbage time blowout, and then flexes and preens like he is trying to win Mr Universe even though his team is down by 4 touchdowns. But that gets you on ESPN.. It is the "look at me" syndrome and it is what is marketed these days. MLB's "let the kids play" marketing is heading right towards that. Like it or not, its time to get used to it..
    All Eck does id whine when he's in the booth. He's the most intolerable broadcaster I've ever heard
    Assistant to the Manager
    Analytical Department of Analytics

NYYF Triple Crown

Kristie Ackert

@ByKristieAckert

Stroman said he is focusing on day-to-day, but can't totally avoid rumors. Made it very clear between the lines he would be happy to be traded to the #Yankees.
    #BlueJays
    Lindsey Adler

Verified account

@lindseyadler

Marcus Stroman just had an availability with New York reporters. Said he feels he's done a good job of pitching this season through the trade rumors, and said of playing in high-pressure environments: "I love the bright lights. I was built for this."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    All Eck does id whine when he's in the booth. He's the most intolerable broadcaster I've ever heard
    Yep. I hated him as a player and like him even less as an announcer. I wasn’t high on trading for Stroman but the fact that he gets under Eckersley’s skin actually has me warming up to the idea (and yes, I realize that is totally irrational on my part...I’m half joking).
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Lindsey Adler

Verified account

@lindseyadler

Marcus Stroman just had an availability with New York reporters. Said he feels he's done a good job of pitching this season through the trade rumors, and said of playing in high-pressure environments: "I love the bright lights. I was built for this."
    I want Bumgarner or Scherzer but my gut says we will end up with Stroman.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Scherzer is not the only pitcher out there who has multiple years of control - Boyd, for example.

I think it’s mostly posturing. I’d be fine dealing Frazier for Stroman or Bauer. If we could get them for less obviously, but that seems far fetched. For Stroman in particular you might be able to extend the deal to get a solid reliever like Shoemaker or who knows even Aaron Sanchez and use him as a reliever. I don’t know if they’ll sell low on Sanchez though especially in division, but Shoemaker or Phelps are potential add-ins for sure. Giles they’ll deal separately for a haul.

As for Frazier’s value we have to remember how easy and inexpensive it is to find corner OF/DHs. Asavail Garcia signed for 3.5M, Derek Dietrich got a minor league deal, we picked up EE for around 3M midseason, Nick Markakis was also cheap (4M?), Adam Jones 3M. Meanwhile starting pitchers go for 15M+ most of the time.

If they want to chase Boyd instead that’s fine too, but they shouldn’t hesitate too much to deal Frazier for a good pitcher controlled through next year.

Thread Information