+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 625 of 1186
  1. #601
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-players...alue-is-rising

    Max Scherzer, RHP, Nationals

    For teams seeking a front-of-the-rotation, difference-making arm, is there anybody that fits the bill more than Scherzer? It would be a big statement by the Nationals to trade the three-time Cy Young Award winner, but if theyíre ever going to do it, this summer is the time. Scherzer will gain 10-and-5 rights at the end of the season, allowing him to block any trade during the final two years of his contract. If the Nationals fade further in the race, they could restock their farm system with one big move, dealing the soon-to-be-35-year-old to a contender. Scherzer is owed $35 million a year through 2021, albeit with a lot of deferred money, but teams might be willing to take the risk, hoping for a Justin Verlander-to-Houston type of result.

    Potential fits: Yankees, Padres
    Attached Images

  2. #602
    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Too many fans have been fooled. They care more about the owners profit margin then their team winning games. The amount of fans who drooled over signing Tulo, and basically threw a party when we walked away from Corbin was just nauseating to me. Why are you a fan? To see your team win championships or see the owner save money?
    So, to be a true fan you have to spend the entire regular season screeching ďI told you soĒ instead of enjoying watching Gary Sanchez and Gleyber Torres play for your team? Itís June. There is no World Series. And if itís that much of a foregone conclusion that this is all for nothing and it upsets you that much, why not move on to something else?

    And nobody drooled over Tulowitzki. With Didi out, he was worth a flyer on a minimal salary and it worked out about the way you would expect.

  3. #603
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    Yankees make more off their fans than any other team. Given that, and that they make hundreds of million in profit, I donít think itís unreasonsble to expect them to surpass the 246 cap
    Yes, this has been explained ad nauseam. The Yankees are at the bottom of the league in payroll as a percentage of revenue: https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/...renner-cashman


    They ask fans to dig deep into their pockets to attend game. To pay a surcharge on their cable bill for the YES Network. Yet they won't even climb to the middle of the pack in payroll as a percent of revenue because paying a luxury tax will apparently bankrupt the organization.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  4. #604
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-players...alue-is-rising

    Max Scherzer, RHP, Nationals

    For teams seeking a front-of-the-rotation, difference-making arm, is there anybody that fits the bill more than Scherzer? It would be a big statement by the Nationals to trade the three-time Cy Young Award winner, but if theyíre ever going to do it, this summer is the time. Scherzer will gain 10-and-5 rights at the end of the season, allowing him to block any trade during the final two years of his contract. If the Nationals fade further in the race, they could restock their farm system with one big move, dealing the soon-to-be-35-year-old to a contender. Scherzer is owed $35 million a year through 2021, albeit with a lot of deferred money, but teams might be willing to take the risk, hoping for a Justin Verlander-to-Houston type of result.

    Potential fits: Yankees, Padres
    They wouldn't pay Keuchel $13 million dollars but sure, they're definitely going to take on Scherzer's contract.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  5. #605
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-players...alue-is-rising

    Max Scherzer, RHP, Nationals

    For teams seeking a front-of-the-rotation, difference-making arm, is there anybody that fits the bill more than Scherzer? It would be a big statement by the Nationals to trade the three-time Cy Young Award winner, but if theyíre ever going to do it, this summer is the time. Scherzer will gain 10-and-5 rights at the end of the season, allowing him to block any trade during the final two years of his contract. If the Nationals fade further in the race, they could restock their farm system with one big move, dealing the soon-to-be-35-year-old to a contender. Scherzer is owed $35 million a year through 2021, albeit with a lot of deferred money, but teams might be willing to take the risk, hoping for a Justin Verlander-to-Houston type of result.

    Potential fits: Yankees, Padres

    Scherzer is difference maker if Yankees acquired him for post-season like Verlander did with Astros

    Would you guys part ways with ? Deivi Garcia+Estrada and others for Scherzer?

    @mattkardos
    Following Following @mattkardos
    More
    Deivi Garcia is one of the youngest players at the Double-A level and has posted stellar numbers for the @TrentonThunder. Despite flashes of dominance, the #Yankees top-prospect is continuing to learn on the fly at the upper levels.

  6. #606
    NYYF Legend

    jpao89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Yes, this has been explained ad nauseam. The Yankees are at the bottom of the league in payroll as a percentage of revenue: https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/...renner-cashman


    They ask fans to dig deep into their pockets to attend game. To pay a surcharge on their cable bill for the YES Network. Yet they won't even climb to the middle of the pack in payroll as a percent of revenue because paying a luxury tax will apparently bankrupt the organization.
    I understand that perspective. But I also wonder if itís not a case of the Yankees being tired of funding the other teams via the tax.
    Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

  7. #607

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Players negotiated a semi-hard cap into the last CBA. You seem to want the Yankees to pay other teams more money while giving up future assets all for the privilege of over paying talent that may or may not be good.

    I donít really care about the Yankees P&L statement but I do understand if they arenít making a profit they wonít be sinking those losses in to a team that competes for the post season year in and year out.

    Would I like them to have an All-Star at every position and a rotation of 5 #1 starters with 4 closers. Sure that team would win a lot games and be fun to watch.
    Wait, if they had offered Keuchel the extra 1.5 mill, how much would they really be paying other teams?

  8. #608
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonn1997 View Post
    Wait, if they had offered Keuchel the extra 1.5 mill, how much would they really be paying other teams?
    The spare change from Hal's couch. In a recent interview Cashman said they didn't want to get hit with the draft pick penalty, which is just as ridiculous. You're not going to get a substantially better pick at 40 than you would at 30.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  9. #609
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Scherzer is difference maker if Yankees acquired him for post-season like Verlander did with Astros

    Would you guys part ways with ? Deivi Garcia+Estrada and others for Scherzer?

    @mattkardos
    Following Following @mattkardos
    More
    Deivi Garcia is one of the youngest players at the Double-A level and has posted stellar numbers for the @TrentonThunder. Despite flashes of dominance, the #Yankees top-prospect is continuing to learn on the fly at the upper levels.
    @DanJFederico
    Following Following @DanJFederico
    More
    With SP woes in the Bronx and not much help in SWB, I wonder if the Yankees start to push some of their prospects up the ladder. In AA, Garcia has been a K machine, Abreu has been inconsistent but flashes potential, Whitlock has been solid. Schmidt & Otto have stood out in Tampa

  10. #610
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Paris

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    They wouldn't pay Keuchel $13 million dollars but sure, they're definitely going to take on Scherzer's contract.
    And give up prospects, which are far more valuable than the 10 place drop in the draft

  11. #611

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    You mean the Corbin who has given up 16 runs in his last three starts? The Corbin who, in his last nine starts has a 5.13 ERA? The Corbin who is currently causing nausea in every Washington Nationals household? That Corbin?

    Good luck to the Nationals with that contract. Too many years and too many dollars.
    Corbin's mediocre numbers will be ignored here. All that matters is that the Yankees are cheap for not wanting to give 140 million to a guy who is at best a #3 starter.

  12. #612
    The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman89 View Post
    Corbin's mediocre numbers will be ignored here. All that matters is that the Yankees are cheap for not wanting to give 140 million to a guy who is at best a #3 starter.
    Not true. If you were posting here during the winter, you’d know there were plenty of us who didn’t like Corbin based in his pre-2018 track record, and his heavy dependency on the slider despite his TJS history.

    The bigger issue most of us had was re-signing Sabathia and Happ instead of pursuing upgrades such as Morton, who went to TB on a very team-friendly deal.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  13. #613

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Would you guys part ways with ? Deivi Garcia+Estrada and others for Scherzer?
    In a heartbeat. No doubt about it.

  14. #614

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Theres gonna be a lot of teams looking to trade for a good SP come the deadline. Tampa, NYY, Houston, Milwaukee, Minnesota, St Louis just to name a few.

    Does anyone think Cashman will get into (and more importantly win) a bidding war for one of the top guys like MadBum or Bauer?

  15. #615

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @DanJFederico
    Following Following @DanJFederico
    More
    With SP woes in the Bronx and not much help in SWB, I wonder if the Yankees start to push some of their prospects up the ladder. In AA, Garcia has been a K machine, Abreu has been inconsistent but flashes potential, Whitlock has been solid. Schmidt & Otto have stood out in Tampa
    Abreu they probably need to start preparing for bullpen duty now. That's his likely future anyway. Maybe they're trying to do that with him in the rotation right now and are just not getting the results. Being on the 40-man means he's always in the discussion, but they have to simplify things for him as he's really struggling for consistency.

    Garcia is interesting, if they plan to add him to the 40man in the offseason (do they have to, yet?) he's the one guy that even though he's not really ready you could say let's see what he can do. He's still a few down in the pecking order and would be a guy you'd probably pair with an opener or start him and only plan for 3-4 innings at most. It'd be a stretch though and you'd hope the team acquires someone before they have to go to him. I do think he could be an interesting late season bullpen option though if he's not traded. That curveball is no doubt major league ready right now.

    The other guys should move up at some point, but aren't realistic ML options this year.

  16. #616

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman89 View Post
    Corbin's mediocre numbers will be ignored here. All that matters is that the Yankees are cheap for not wanting to give 140 million to a guy who is at best a #3 starter.



    Nope i never wanted a pitcher coming from the NL unless he was a #1 guy. I do not even want MB do not like NL pitchers.


    And if they got DK for the extra 1.5mil they still have time to get back under and trade someone worth 2 mil or so. If i am correct it is how you end the season for the cap? or s it if you go over at all? cause if it is how you end they could have dumped someone to get back under.

  17. #617
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    Acquiring Bumgarner is astronomically dumb:

    3.8 ERA backed by nearly identical FIP and XFIP.
    Is giving up lowest percentage of Soft contact of his career
    Is giving up nearly double the percentage of Hard contact (46%) that he did in his prime (~25%)
    Is giving up the highest percentage of Line Drive contact of his career

    Dude is hella mediocre now but for some reason people still think he's the god he was in 2014
    And this is being done in pitchers' parks and without facing a DH.

  18. #618

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ronnie View Post
    Theres gonna be a lot of teams looking to trade for a good SP come the deadline. Tampa, NYY, Houston, Milwaukee, Minnesota, St Louis just to name a few.

    Does anyone think Cashman will get into (and more importantly win) a bidding war for one of the top guys like MadBum or Bauer?
    I do. MadBum is a rental, Happ was the best rental last year in a weak market and he won there. Tampa won't trade top prospects, they'll look for undervalued guys plus they don't need much if any pitching. Houston has less pressure on them given they'll have the best 1-2 pitchers going into the postseason regardless of what happens at the deadline and a strong bullpen behind them. I don't see St Louis as a dedicated buyer especially if they're only playing for a WC game. Milwaukee and Minnesota are interesting especially Minnesota as they could be losing Odrizzi and Gibson in the offseason, but then again rotation is currently a strength for them. Milwaukee I could see going all-in especially for a guy like Bauer who they'd control for another season.

    I think the buyers on MadBum will not be too crazy. Zaidi is probably going to wait until the last minute and bluff that they'll keep him all the way hoping someone gets desperate and caves, but ultimately he'll take the best offer last minute or the first deal that includes some real top prospects. If any of Florial, Garcia or Frazier are ever on the table he'd be a fool to pass that. Even a Thairo led package might be the best offer he gets.

  19. #619

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    Yankees make more off their fans than any other team. Given that, and that they make hundreds of million in profit, I donít think itís unreasonsble to expect them to surpass the 246 cap
    The simple reality is the economics of the game tell owners its more profitable to simply be competitive than to spend more to position yourself as the favorite. A competitive Yankee team sells tickets and merchandise just as well as a team that is totally stacked. The additional potential postseason revenue doesn't offset the increased costs. This is why an owner like Hal will set a budget and force Cash to stick to it. He's running a business he's not vying for the hardcore fan's love and adoration. They're going to want him to spend more regardless, so why not spend enough to maximize his return?

    We don't have to like it and we probably shouldn't, but its sort of like yelling at Apple for charging a fortune for iPhones without investing more to make them far and away better than any phone on the market. People are still going to buy iPhones even if a couple of their features aren't better than other phones on the market.

    At this point I don't complain, I just don't give them my money.

  20. #620

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    I guess the ultimate question is whether or not you are fine with seeing no "homegrown" Yankee stars after this generation of Judge/Torres/Severino if it means a good Yankee parent team...forget the qualifying offer and sign anyone good and blow past the cap (eff the draft picks), trade away anyone with any remote value from the farm of what is left (eff the prospects) for expensive stars, aka the 2005-2015 Yankees but without the leftovers of Jeter and the "core" guys. Strictly considering this forum and the sometimes undeserving love for the "homegrown" label, I have a feeling it might have some mixed reactions. I mean, that era when Eric Duncan was the "top Yankee prospect" certainly sucked a lot.

  21. #621

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    The spare change from Hal's couch. In a recent interview Cashman said they didn't want to get hit with the draft pick penalty, which is just as ridiculous. You're not going to get a substantially better pick at 40 than you would at 30.
    Not only that, the math doesn't add up.

    According to Cot's, with everything factored in, we are at $230.0 mil. We could have topped the Braves' offer and still had a couple million to spare under the $246 mil.

    And even if Cot's isn't exactly right, there are many ways we could trim a bit of payroll. It's a lazy statement from Cashman, making excuses for one that he really F'ed up on.

  22. #622
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    I could see Cashman going after Matthew Boyd. Cheap, unproven and more than one year control.

  23. #623
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Scherzer is difference maker if Yankees acquired him for post-season like Verlander did with Astros

    Would you guys part ways with ? Deivi Garcia+Estrada and others for Scherzer?

    @mattkardos
    Following Following @mattkardos
    More
    Deivi Garcia is one of the youngest players at the Double-A level and has posted stellar numbers for the @TrentonThunder. Despite flashes of dominance, the #Yankees top-prospect is continuing to learn on the fly at the upper levels.
    Why would we have to give up our top pitching prospect when the market isn't big due to the contract size?

    I keep hearing people just willing to give up Frazier, Florial and now Garcia.

    And for the record, Id love to get Scherzer.

  24. #624
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    The Nationals are a decent 13-11 since Trea Turner got back, but even that's misleading as they were 1-6 his first 7 back. 12-5 since then. They're starting to creep back onto the edges of the NL Wild Card and NL East races and it's only mid-June. I'm really not expecting Scherzer to be put on the block at this time.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  25. #625
    Addicted Member
    bardos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii

    Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

    The NYY paradigm is not to sign marquee players any more, so forget all the big names being tossed around. The strategy now is to look for diamonds in the rough at cheap prices.
    Contrary to popular belief Eternity is not unending endlessness, it's repetitive.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 22 users browsing this thread. (5 members and 17 guests)

  1. TexasYank23
  2. Bag302
  3. latech
  4. Breyean
  5. Keebler884

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts