+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47 87 94 95 96 97
Results 2,401 to 2,414 of 2414
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    A lot can change in a couple weeks, but at this point, it doesn’t look like SF, WAS, CLE, or ARI are sellers. So that leaves Stroman, Boyd, and Thor (not gonna happen).

Why did we pass on Keuchel?
    Same reason we passed on Corbin and will eventually pass on Cole. Our analytics department will determine his “value” and set a limit which will be lower than what it will actually take to sign him because this organization doesn’t understand that a player is worth what the market will bear.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Triple Crown

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...q4y-story.html
    The Yankees like the New York-bred Stroman but view him as a No. 3, which wouldn’t be much of a rotation upgrade. Same thing with Boyd, despite his major league-leading 6.33 strikeouts-to-walks ratio, for whom the Tigers are also looking to make a haul. The 31-year-old Minor has the best overall record of all the potentially available frontline starting pitchers (8-4, 2.73 ERA, 122 innings in 19 starts), but the fact that the greatly improved Rangers have a decent shot at the wild card and he’ll be earning a modest $9.5 million in both 2020 and 2021 makes it highly unlikely they’ll trade him. Last Wednesday, Minor said he’s getting sick of the trade talk. “It’s almost like I signed just so they could trade me.”

Of all the potentially available starters, the closest thing to a difference-maker might be Bauer, averaging 10.4 strikeouts per nine innings and leading the majors in innings. And it appears the Yankees have come around to that thinking as Cashman had his top assistant, Tim Naehring, scouting Bauer’s start against the Twins last Saturday. Like the Giants, the Indians have to decide if another World Series is realistic for them and if they can catch the Twins for the AL Central title. Even so, they know they are not going to able to afford the $20 million Bauer is likely to get in arbitration next year. If they decide to maximize Bauer’s trade value by moving him now rather than in his free agent walk year, there is the makings to a possible match with the Yankees. After letting the popular and productive Michael Brantley walk as a free agent last winter, the Indians left themselves with one of the lightest hitting outfields in baseball. As the lynchpin in any deal they make, they need a young, controllable power hitting outfielder — someone like the top prospect they traded to the Yankees for reliever Andrew Miller three years ago: Clint Frazier.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Same reason we passed on Corbin and will eventually pass on Cole. Our analytics department will determine his “value” and set a limit which will be lower than what it will actually take to sign him because this organization doesn’t understand that a player is worth what the market will bear.
    I don't think it's the analytics department who determines the value. They recommended Machado. And I think they are actually the one who knows the market value of FA. Cashman just doesn't feel comfortable about those number.

It's funny that Hal said luxury tax was not the issue but they came up short 1.5m for Keuchel. It would be the best value signing when you take prospect value into account.

Cole is a MUST in 2020. Throw the $$$ at him.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Cole is a MUST in 2020. Throw the $$$ at him.
    They've already passed on him twice. I was all for grabbing him before. But I don’t think it’s going to happen. Well, at least until he’s 35 and has won a few CYAs and perhaps a WS. Nelson is right, they don’t value him as high as what he will be worth in free agency. I couldn’t tell you why. He is money.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Diehard Giants fans probably don't see it that way. Same for Indians fans whose team is leading the wildcard race right now. They want to go to the postseason so they won't want to part with one of their best pitchers just because the Yankees will dominate them in the playoffs. To move either team will require a huge overpay.

It really looks like a top flight starter isn't coming, so best we can hope for is another #3 guy and hope Severino makes an A+ return.
    Making decisions based on the diehards is not how you run a successful organization, unfortunately for us. They’ll get blasted for the fans later anyway when it doesn’t work out. Although the smart diehards would tell you the best thing for the team is to sell and build a future. They are in a much better spot where they can demand more though because there’s at least a reason to hold on, but if they’re not fishing for the right offer they’re not doing their job

This rotation could use a high K guy. Especially a righty. Its Bauer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    They've already passed on him twice. I was all for grabbing him before. But I don’t think it’s going to happen. Well, at least until he’s 35 and has won a few CYAs and perhaps a WS. Nelson is right, they don’t value him as high as what he will be worth in free agency. I couldn’t tell you why. He is money.
    Depressing but true

The first time, they had no choice. Cole decided to go back to college. Nothing the Yankees could have done there.

Second time? The Pirates wanted too much for Cole coming off back to back around average seasons.

Talking Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread

You should hold onto this sentiment when the Yankees low-ball Didi and instead of replacing him with Rendon, find a cheap replacement level alternative. They might even make Urshela the fulltime third baseman and I'm not sure how I would feel about that. Urshela at third, Torres at SS, DJL at second and Voit at first.

Didi in the bottom third of the lineup would be a plus to a y lineup and his defense at short is much better than Gleyber's as a whole. Yes, I'll say it now, if they lose Didi because of money, they won't pay even more money to sign Rendon

I thought it was once? And it was different because the Pirates wanted Gleyber and Andujar and Sheffield plus more. Hard pass on that. Now he will be a FA. All it takes is $$$. Still young.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    I thought it was once? And it was different because the Pirates wanted Gleyber and Andujar and Sheffield plus more. Hard pass on that. Now he will be a FA. All it takes is $$$. Still young.
    No, the Pirates wanted Andujar and Frazier and I wish Cashman would have made that deal: https://nypost.com/2018/10/13/yankee...s-with-astros/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I don’t think it’ll continue but Cashner since June has been one of the best starters in baseball allowing just 5 ER over his last 32 innings. It’s a nice lightning in a bottle type of move especially at minimal cost
    Getting lit up again today. Looks like he left that lightning in Baltimore.

Thread Information