+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Loaisiga went on the injured list with a strained shoulder, and Cessa will start if they don't get rained out.

  2. #2
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    He went on the IL?
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  3. #3
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Loaisiga went on the IL. Cessa is fine.

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    He has two games against Boston this year. The first time he allowed 5 earned runs in 1 inning. Today in a ballpark that has had a ton of runs, he pitched 4 scoreless innings.

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He has two games against Boston this year. The first time he allowed 5 earned runs in 1 inning. Today in a ballpark that has had a ton of runs, he pitched 4 scoreless innings.
    You just can't predict baseball.

  6. #6

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Probably his best game ever, right? Maybe has had better stat lines before and more Ks, but 4 shutout innings in a close game against an offensive team in this ball park, huge.

  7. #7

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    I thought it would be fun to skim his game logs quick to see...

    8/20/16 @ LAA he started, went 6 innings, 0 R, 3 H, 1BB, 5K and got the win.

    7/4/17 vs Toronto, he pitched 4.2 innings in a mop role in a game started by Sabathia. Cessa gave up 0 runs, 5 hits, no walks and 3 Ks. Toronto won the game 4-1 and Happ got the W for them. That lineup was still pretty loaded at that time so this was pretty impressive.

    On 7/9/18 he started the second game of a double header against the O’s. He got the win going 6 innings allowing no runs. The Yankees won, 10-2. I’d say this was probably his most impressive outing given the task of starting G2 of a DH and that the Yanks lost G1, 5-4.

    And add in today in London and that’s about it. As the great George Constanza once said, “If you take all my life accomplishments and condense them into one day, it looks decent”

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    On 7/9/18 he started the second game of a double header against the Os. He got the win going 6 innings allowing no runs. The Yankees won, 10-2. Id say this was probably his most impressive outing given the task of starting G2 of a DH and that the Yanks lost G1, 5-4.
    Would like to see the game tape on that one. If my memory is working, that was a crazy game in which the O's kept hitting lasers off him but always at someone. The B-ref summary for that game indeed shows 2 infield lineouts, 2 deep outfield lineouts, and one deep fly in the first 3 innings, although he seems to strengthen over the last 3:

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...01807092.shtml

    Either way, he stands to be an early draft pick of the London expansion team.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

  9. #9

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    to nibble in that last AB when the tying run was on deck is questionable. just throw it...if he gets a hit....its the same as a walk there. Unless of course your stats are more important than the game situation.

  10. #10

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    I keep thinking this could be his swan song, but who am I kidding.

  11. #11
    Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    2112 The Temples Of Syrinx....

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    LOL. Cessa is a nightmare you can't wake up from....

    Louis Freddy Kruger Cessa...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    He improved to 1-1 with his first win in over a year. His only win last year was on July 9.

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He improved to 1-1 with his first win in over a year. His only win last year was on July 9.
    Also in the second game of a doubleheader at Baltimore. I attended that game.

  14. #14

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Against the dreadful O's this afternoon, Cessa's line = 1.2 innings, 3 ER.

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Against the dreadful O's this afternoon, Cessa's line = 1.2 innings, 3 ER.
    He was able to retire the bottom of the Orioles lineup but not the good hitters at the top. Baltimore does have some good hitters despite their record.

  16. #16

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Of late, the strategy of using relievers to start a game has not been working well.

  17. #17
    Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    2112 The Temples Of Syrinx....

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    How many times does Cessa get to fail before the Yankees get rid of him??.
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

  18. #18

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post
    How many times does Cessa get to fail before the Yankees get rid of him??.
    On the relief corps, only Kahnle, Ottavino, Britton and Chapman have performed well with all of them with an ERA under 3.00. The Yankees starters, if they could pitch at least six innings with a lead, they could turn it over to these Four Horsemen.

    The problem is when our starters are knocked out early in the 3rd to 5th innings and lesser (middle) relievers like Cessa, Cortes, Holder, Hale, Tarpley, Loaisiga, and Green are summoned to put up goose eggs on the scoreboard. As their individual ERA all are over 4.00, they haven't gotten the job done.

    The expected return of Dellin Betances should help a bit, however our starters (Happ, Paxton and CC must greatly improve [coincidentally they are all lefties] while righties German and Tanaka are performing well of late) by pulling up their collective socks and do a much better job.

  19. #19

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    On the relief corps, only Kahnle, Ottavino, Britton and Chapman have performed well with all of them with an ERA under 3.00. The Yankees starters, if they could pitch at least six innings with a lead, they could turn it over to these Four Horsemen.

    The problem is when our starters are knocked out early in the 3rd to 5th innings and lesser (middle) relievers like Cessa, Cortes, Holder, Hale, Tarpley, Loaisiga, and Green are summoned to put up goose eggs on the scoreboard. As their individual ERA all are over 4.00, they haven't gotten the job done.

    The expected return of Dellin Betances should help a bit, however our starters (Happ, Paxton and CC must greatly improve [coincidentally they are all lefties] while righties German and Tanaka are performing well of late) by pulling up their collective socks and do a much better job.
    Hale's ERA is under 3 this year. Getting Betances back will be huge for the pen, provided he's his old self. The pen will be shortened in the play-offs with all the off days and the need to win every game you possibly can.

  20. #20
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    He lowered his ERA to 3.82. He got a win to improve to 2-1 and give the Yankees 16 pitchers above .500. The record is 17.

  21. #21

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Pure garbage.

  22. #22

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Meh, he did exactly what he was asked for, but the defense failed him today...a DP, or even just getting one out would've been fine considering the next batter was a sac fly. Now Gearrin and Loaisiga certainly were hot garbage, that I won't deny.

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Meh, he did exactly what he was asked for, but the defense failed him today...a DP, or even just getting one out would've been fine considering the next batter was a sac fly. Now Gearrin and Loaisiga certainly were hot garbage, that I won't deny.
    So it was ok to give up two singles after the sac fly?

  24. #24

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    I really hope he is gone after this year, but don't expect it. For some reason he's getting the Mitre and Gaudin treatment where no matter how bad he does he stays on the roster.

  25. #25

    Re: 2019 Luis Cessa Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GleyToe18 View Post
    I really hope he is gone after this year, but don't expect it. For some reason he's getting the Mitre and Gaudin treatment where no matter how bad he does he stays on the roster.
    Not really a huge fan, but Cessa actually hasn't been TOO bad in a lot of his appearances this year.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts