+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

2019 Brett the Jet Gardner Performance Thread

Starting this thread for the perpetually underappreciated veteran, likely in his final year with the team. He's on pace right now for yet another 2+ WAR season. Despite the low BA, he's posting the highest ISO of his career, his lowest K-rate ever, and his highest walk rate since 2010. Yes, he should be a backup at this point, and yet he's still our best defensive OFer, at age 35.

https://www.mlb.com/video/gardner-s-smooth-diving-catch
    https://www.mlb.com/video/gardner-co...-4-hits-in-win

Edit: "Jett" should have one T.
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Re: 2019 Brett the Jett Gardner Performance Thread

When all the regular outfielders return from the IL, Gardy can be pencilled in as an occasional starter, be a late inning defensive replacement, and a PH or pinch runner.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 Brett the Jett Gardner Performance Thread

Shouldn't this be the "2019 Gutty Gritty Brett Gardner Thread"?

Re: 2019 Brett the Jet Gardner Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Starting this thread for the perpetually underappreciated veteran, likely in his final year with the team. He's on pace right now for yet another 2+ WAR season. Despite the low BA, he's posting the highest ISO of his career, his lowest K-rate ever, and his highest walk rate since 2010. Yes, he should be a backup at this point, and yet he's still our best defensive OFer, at age 35.

https://www.mlb.com/video/gardner-s-smooth-diving-catch
    https://www.mlb.com/video/gardner-co...-4-hits-in-win

Fixed

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post

Are you sure?

"This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Gardy stole second base tonight which forced the Mariners to walk Torres to pitch to Urshela with the bases loaded. Urshela then singled in LeMahieu and Gardy to make it 3-0. Chapman gave up a HR but still got the save.

Gardy had a rough night. 0-4 2ks and a pop up bunt out. Hopefully he can keep his batting average off the interstate. Its getting too close for comfort. The Yankees need to get healthy.

Gardy is playing solely because he defends CF/LF better than any healthy outfielder we have. Gone are the days he'll hit .260 once again. His eye bat coordination due to age is no longer very good.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

I never thought I would want back Hicks so bad so Gardner could be on the bench...

And how can they have him batting 3rd today. That's laughable. What is he 1-25 with RISP...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post
    I never thought I would want back Hicks so bad so Gardner could be on the bench...

And how can they have him batting 3rd today. That's laughable. What is he 1-25 with RISP...
    It makes no sense, but watch Gardner suddenly have a good game tonight.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Please retire.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Please retire.
    everyone knows it was a huge mistake bringing gardner back he lost his starting job last season . he is horrendous..

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Please retire.

^^^This^^^

I will not be a happy camper when Hicks, Judge & Stanton are back and Clint gets sent to AAA because of Gardner...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

Please retire.
    Most of us called it, the money they used to resign him was a very poor allocation of resources.

NYYF Legend

On the flipside, having both Gardner and CC in a relatively young and inexperienced clubhouse may in itself be worth the $20M (just a shade less, in fact) they're getting paid.

I agree the two roster spots could be more productive. But leadership, pride, & familiarity do have value, and there's enough talent on the roster to offset the league-average (or less) production these two players will contribute.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Triple Crown

He is playing too much. I will always be a fan of Gardy and one of the few we gave him the one year. He is just tired. Playing him last night because Glasnow was throwing 97+ and he could not hit it and 3rd??? I think he tried to bunt but he never was a good bunter like Wade. I hope he gets the day off and will be good to see Hicks return.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    everyone knows it was a huge mistake bringing gardner back he lost his starting job last season . he is horrendous..
    Huge mistake? So who do you think should have been playing center field these first 40 games of the year? Sure, he's not the player he once was and he's looking tired out there, but with all of that he's still second on the team in runs scored and on a pace for about 100, and also second on the team in extra base hits and walks. He's 7th in the league in pitches seen per plate appearance by qualified players with 4.24. Instead of everyone suggesting that he pack up and leave I think we should give him some credit for playing a tough position for a lot more games than his 35 year old body should have played so far this season.
    Let the kids play.

^Echoing the last 3 posts. The ballplayers in the clubhouse know Gardner's value
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Huge mistake? So who do you think should have been playing center field these first 40 games of the year? Sure, he's not the player he once was and he's looking tired out there, but with all of that he's still second on the team in runs scored and on a pace for about 100, and also second on the team in extra base hits and walks. He's 7th in the league in pitches seen per plate appearance by qualified players with 4.24. Instead of everyone suggesting that he pack up and leave I think we should give him some credit for playing a tough position for a lot more games than his 35 year old body should have played so far this season.
    Yea, the Gardner hate is almost as irrational sometimes as the Andujar or Sanchez hate. He hasn’t been amazing this year but for a guy that was meant to be essentially a platoon player, he’s stepped up and bridged the gap with all three starting OFs missing time.

Our only other CF options were Tauchman and Wade, I guess Maybin now too but he was acquired not long ago. And there were very few CF capable players in FA.

I guess if the team knew of the injuries they could’ve signed a better offensive OF to man one of the corners, but raise your hand if you predicted these injuries. Most probably would’ve predicted that Hicks would miss a little time, maybe Stanton too. Gardner fit the need behind those guys, not the big move we all wanted but solid depth.

NYYF Legend

I don't mind bring Gardner back as a 4th OFer. I mind the Yankees told me there was a tight budget then not let Gardner test the market.

Like DJL I don't dislike the player. I dislike the front office off-season strategy.

On another hand I don't know why people keep grouping CC and Gardner signings together. CC is still a productive starter and his signing is at a discount rate. Gardner isn't. You can like the CC signing and dislike the Gardner one without any contradiction.

Lastly it's unfair to blame Gardner starting. I do question in what sense Boone would put him batting third.

I respectfully disagree that CC's re-signing was a good move by Cashman. The first year he was here, he helped us win our last World Series; A-Rod and Matsui were the Series MVPs. I figured that we should have won multiple championships with him, but no such luck.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    I respectfully disagree that CC's re-signing was a good move by Cashman. The first year he was here, he helped us win our last World Series; A-Rod and Matsui were the Series MVPs. I figured that we should have won multiple championships with him, but no such luck.
    What does that have to do with CC, as opposed to other players on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post

maybe the yanks should have signed maybin earlier even though maybin does not do much.. gardner is finished now that hicks is back gardner should be a once a week o/f

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Yea, the Gardner hate is almost as irrational sometimes as the Andujar or Sanchez hate. He hasn’t been amazing this year but for a guy that was meant to be essentially a platoon player, he’s stepped up and bridged the gap with all three starting OFs missing time.

Our only other CF options were Tauchman and Wade, I guess Maybin now too but he was acquired not long ago. And there were very few CF capable players in FA.

I guess if the team knew of the injuries they could’ve signed a better offensive OF to man one of the corners, but raise your hand if you predicted these injuries. Most probably would’ve predicted that Hicks would miss a little time, maybe Stanton too. Gardner fit the need behind those guys, not the big move we all wanted but solid depth.

gardner was so bad last year he lost his job. to mccutchen what did the yanks expect him to do this year when they signed him hit the ball better..? he has been a abomination at the plate... and the yanks signed him to be the everyday l/f they went cheap trying to stay under the cap..

NYYF Legend

His home run raised his OPS from .668 to .697. .668 is bad, but not an "abomination." The AL average OPS is .744. I would say "abomination" should only be used for over .100 points below average, and with things like defense and stolen bases that don't go into OPS, I wouldn't use "abomination" unless he drops at least .125 below average.

His home run gives him 60 total bases from 30 hits, and 2 bases per hit only happens when players have power. Gardner's career-high in bases per hit was 1.65 in 2014. Bases per hit is something I made up, and do not confuse it with isolated power. Bases per hit = slugging percentage/batting average, and isolated power = slugging percentage - batting average.

Thread Information