View Poll Results: What is Domingo German's ceiling?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • #1 SP

19 48.72%
  • #2 SP

15 38.46%
  • #3 SP

4 10.26%
  • #4 SP

1 2.56%
  • #5 SP

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is Domingo German's ceiling?

I say he's a potential ace, #1 SP

If Severino and Paxton ever come back and get back to being full strength, back at the top of their games, we'll have three SP's who can matchup with the other teams TOP 3 (with our offense healthy too) and we can win those games.
    Last edited by Battingly; 05-16-19 at 02:18 AM.

Released Outright

Re: What is Domingo German's ceiling?

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post

If Severino ever comes back and is back to being the guy he was in the first half last year, we'll have two SP's who can matchup with the other teams best pitchers (with our offense healthy too) and win those games.

It's amazing the movement he gets on his pitches

That said , he's showing much better control- especially with the curve

NYYF Legend

I voted #1 because of the way the question was phrased, "ceiling." He could be a #1, I think.

If it were phrased where is he likely to be I'd vote more in a mid-rotation spot. I'm no kinesiologist but that delivery bothers me. Kind of awkward looking. I love that he works fast (underrated trait these days) but I fear injury.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Numbers seem highly arbitrary. Iíd rather just say that he has TOR potential.

His potential is a low 3- high 2 ERA with a 1.00 or less whip. His pitches movement, velo, location and sequencing reminds me of a younger Max Scherzer. Every pitch is just hard to hit. That curve ball is a true 12-6 hammer that locks hitters up. The change looks like its at least above average right now. And the fastball velo has gone down a tick, but his spin rate remains elite, and his control and feel for it are excellent. VASTLY improved fastball control verses last year.

The Yankees farm system has produced some quality arms over the past few seasons, and Domingo has a chance to be one of the best.

He seems to have 3 plus pitches. I like the Scherzer comparison, they both have somewhat awkward releases

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    He seems to have 3 plus pitches. I like the Scherzer comparison, they both have somewhat awkward releases
    Yeah, 3/4's, a little bit higher than Pedros. Arm side fade on the fastball and change, but that curveball is a true hammer. It makes you think you dont wanna swing, and you miss when you do.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I voted #1, as he does have that potential. However, I think he most likely ends up as a 2/3 starter.

Still, as a throw in lottery pick in a trade, he has certainly delivered value.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

If Severino ever comes back and is back to being the guy he was in the first half last year, we'll have two SP's who can matchup with the other teams best pitchers (with our offense healthy too) and win those games.
    1st half 2018 Severino, healthy Paxton, 2019 German and Tanaka is easily the best 1-2-3-4 in baseball, and it's not even close with Kluber struggling (and now hurt). Unfortunately, that rotation is a long shot. I personally think Severino's 2019, if not career as a TOR pitcher is done.

I also think the league will start to figure out German. It's pretty hard to be a top pitcher that goes deep into games giving up 1 or 2 runs to good offenses without a 4th pitch to keep batters honest these days (unless you're sitting at 97mph fastball or something). I think he can be #2 pitcher if things go well.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I personally think Severino's 2019, if not career as a TOR pitcher is done.
    Maybe this year, but for his career? Way too soon to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    SLAP tear is no joke.

Left-Handed Catcher

SLAP tear is no joke.
    Isnít his injury rotator cuff inflammation along with a lat strain? Him having a labral/SLAP tear would be news to me.

German has a No. 2-3 ceiling. Devastating stuff but will have his lapses from
    time to time

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Isnít his injury rotator cuff inflammation along with a lat strain? Him having a labral/SLAP tear would be news to me.

German has a No. 2-3 ceiling. Devastating stuff but will have his lapses from
    time to time
    It's kind of hard to believe it's not a tear of some sort at this point, but I'm armchair doctoring this.

Probably doesnít have the durability to be an ace even though the stuff is good enough.

As much as I love what he’s doing I need an entire season to project what I think he’ll be. Right now the sample size is too small. It sure is fun watching him though! And I’m happy as hell that someone is stepping up and taking advantage of the opportunity while Severino is out. And now that Paxton is hurt we need him even more.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

1st half 2018 Severino, healthy Paxton, 2019 German and Tanaka is easily the best 1-2-3-4 in baseball.
    I can't believe I left out Paxton ... what a dope!

If all four of those SP's are healthy in October and we win the A.L. East, and the Offense and Bullpen are healthy too, this team is a wrecking machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    As much as I love what heís doing I need an entire season to project what I think heíll be. Right now the sample size is too small. It sure is fun watching him though! And Iím happy as hell that someone is stepping up and taking advantage of the opportunity while Severino is out. And now that Paxton is hurt we need him even more.
    Yes, and despite the ERA fluctuation, his xFIP and FIP have been consistently around (or a little below) 4.00 through his short career. That looks like a number 3 starter. Nothing wrong with that.

NYYF Triple Crown

Could be a No 1. Always liked his fastball and curve (slider or slurve?) now he's throwing the chargeup more and has better control and composure when he gets into trouble. Kinda reminds me of early Sevy fastball (not a fast or strong) and his slider and then chargeup that started at 5% and is up to 30%. GermŠn is special and Boone needs to be careful with his innings. Monty and Sevy should return (nice) I love how we are playing Boone is doing better managing (happy to see Cessa last night because he is better being used) ....

If someone asked me to bet on whether Severino or German would have the better career, based on the information we have right now I think it would be a coin flip.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Shoulder Injury usually means death to pitchers. I think Severino is also done as a top pitcher. If he gets any kind of surgery on his shoulder, he becomes a 91 mph fastball pitcher. Unless he can reinvent himself, he's done.

... Ace

The crazy thing is, if Severino and Paxton didn't go down, we already had the third TOTR SP we were all begging for this off-season.

Severino
    Paxton
    German

If they are all healthy in October and so is our offense, all three of them can beat the other teams best pitchers.

... Ace
    I'm still looking forward to seeing Jordan Montgomery's return. I liked him and could see some real potential. But then again, I really liked Bennuevos seeing a single spring training and maybe one appearance before he, too, went under the knife, and he didn't make it out the other side. Hope Jordan has healthy return and makes it tough to ignore him even with:

Severino
    Paxson
    Tanaka
    German
    CC

In fact, to ease IP on German, I might split games where CC goes 3-4 and German 3-4 after AS break and give the ball to Montgomery as 5th SP. In fact, I want to see Loaisiga get more big league innings this year (on 60 day IL I know) on his return. Then try splitting starts with Montgomery 3-4 with Loaisiga 3-4.

I don't remember ever seeing this much young talent. So many options to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Munson4ever View Post
    I don't remember ever seeing this much young talent.
    I hope you're right, but I seem to remember the same thing being said about Banuelos, Brackman, and Betances, and then again about Kennedy, Chamberlain, and Hughes.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I hope you're right, but I seem to remember the same thing being said about Banuelos, Brackman, and Betances, and then again about Kennedy, Chamberlain, and Hughes.

The Yankees bet all the marbles on these 3 in 2008, and it failed spectacularly that season. That necessitated the massive spending spree on CC and AJ the next off-season to build the rotation.

Thread Information