+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Devoted Member

Re: YES crew discussion marketplace 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    Costas was a breath of fresh air. He is a true professional and teamed with Cone and Paul a great listen! Ryan is a hard worker....well prepared and insightful he just needs more experience.
    Agree. I like Costas and IMO would be a huge upgrade if he were part of the permanent team.

Give Ryan a chance! He will grow on you.
    I usually can't stand Ryan's voice, but I think he has indeed grown on me as it has been bearable since he took over for Kay.

NYYF Legend

Give Ryan a chance! He will grow on you.
    I have long advocated for YES to bring back the "Minor League Monday" feature they had in the early 2000s. Would be a perfect platform for Ruocco to cut his baseball teeth in an announcing sense.

Most competent networks don't start neophytes at the top. I don't CARE that he announces the Brooklyn Nets. Announcing hoops and baseball are two differet disciplines. Let him develop on the new "Minor League Monday." (won't happen but i can dream)
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I have long advocated for YES to bring back the "Minor League Monday" feature they had in the early 2000s. Would be a perfect platform for Ruocco to cut his baseball teeth in an announcing sense.

Most competent networks don't start neophytes at the top. I don't CARE that he announces the Brooklyn Nets. Announcing hoops and baseball are two differet disciplines. Let him develop on the new "Minor League Monday." (won't happen but i can dream)
    The idea of more minor league baseball is something I applaud, especially on days off - gives us something else to watch, as well as seeing the future of the Yankees and other teams.

As for cutting his teeth at the minor league level, I don't find Rucco as irritating as others on this forum do, although I will say that I noticed his "excitement" on a big play on last night's broadcast in direct contrast to Bob Costa's steady voice. Very different.

I wish that YES had Singleton on the play by play and let Rucco do the color and learn from one of the better announcers on the network.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    The idea of more minor league baseball is something I applaud, especially on days off - gives us something else to watch, as well as seeing the future of the Yankees and other teams.

As for cutting his teeth at the minor league level, I don't find Rucco as irritating as others on this forum do, although I will say that I noticed his "excitement" on a big play on last night's broadcast in direct contrast to Bob Costa's steady voice. Very different.

I wish that YES had Singleton on the play by play and let Rucco do the color and learn from one of the better announcers on the network.
    I also don't find Ruocco as irritating either. I would love for him to take over play-by-play on the radio and move Sterling to color commentary once Kay comes back.

It will never happen of course, but a man can dream.

And yes, bring back Minor League Monday!
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I also don't find Ruocco as irritating either. I would love for him to take over play-by-play on the radio and move Sterling to color commentary once Kay comes back.

It will never happen of course, but a man can dream.

And yes, bring back Minor League Monday!
    I heard him on the radio. It's not as bad as when he's on TV. On radio, you have to maintain a minimum focus on the game. Also, I don't think he has the rapport with Susan to explore the diverse tributaries of existence that he can with the guys.

On the other hand, I don't see Sterling playing second fiddle to anybody. Especially Ruocco. I think that would be a disaster.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    On the other hand, I don't see Sterling playing second fiddle to anybody. Especially Ruocco. I think that would be a disaster.
    Sterling couldn't get along with Charlie Steiner. With Ruocco there would be a shooting.

NYYF Triple Crown

Ryan Ruocco did something until last night that I thought was pretty hard to do, considering Kay could rarely do this. He got Singleton to go into “talk show mode”.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Ryan Ruocco did something until last night that I thought was pretty hard to do, considering Kay could rarely do this. He got Singleton to go into “talk show mode”.
    When is Michael Kay coming back? I am tired of muting every game with this amateur doing the play by play. Ruocco being the PLP announcer for the greatest team in the history of baseball borders on being a sacrilege. The Yankees should be ashamed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by don4yanks View Post
    When is Michael Kay coming back? I am tired of muting every game with this amateur doing the play by play. Ruocco being the PLP announcer for the greatest team in the history of baseball borders on being a sacrilege. The Yankees should be ashamed.
    Tim McCarver used to do play-by-play for the Yankees, I think we can get through a few more weeks of Ryan Ruocco.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by don4yanks View Post
    According to last Friday’s article in Newsday, there’s no set date for Kay’s return to the broadcast booth.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/media...ees-1.34822523
    Last edited by Seth; 08-12-19 at 07:16 PM.

I caught a bit of Ruocco and O'Neill today . Yeesh.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Triple Crown

16. New York Yankees: 2.26 https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/your...2#main-content

16. New York Yankees: 2.26
    -Michael Kay (play by play)
    -Ryan Ruocco (play by play)
    -David Cone (analyst)
    -John Flaherty (analyst)
    -Paul O’Neill (analyst)
    -Ken Singleton (analyst)

Previous rankings: 25 (2014), 27 (2016), 2 (2017), 12 (2018)
    Previous grades: 1.93 (2014), 1.95 (2016), 3.00 (2017), 2.53 (2018)

Most popular grade: A (31.89% of votes)

Analysis: The Yankees were one of two teams (along with the Dodgers) to receive at least 3,000 votes (which is not a surprise), and because they’re the Yankees, they saw huge spikes in both their A and F grades. The huge cut of A votes was balanced out by 23.01% of their votes coming in as an F, if only because they’re the Yankees. Much like last year, when they ranked 12th, their grade seems right and not too extreme like in 2016 or 2017.

Never, ever, ever let O'Neill broadcast with Kay again.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    Tim McCarver used to do play-by-play for the Yankees, I think we can get through a few more weeks of Ryan Ruocco.
    Yeah. McCarver announcing the Yankees never seemed right.

Kay cleared to resume broadcasting. Don think know when he's expected back at the ballpark but he's returning to his talk show in a couple of weeks.
    Let the kids play.

Have to see if Meredith updates us on the Kayster's rehab schedule and IL activation date.
    Supports: smart spending, roster flexibility and depth. Does not support: reckless spending and extreme prospect hugging.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    16. New York Yankees: 2.26 https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/your...2#main-content

16. New York Yankees: 2.26
    -Michael Kay (play by play)
    -Ryan Ruocco (play by play)
    -David Cone (analyst)
    -John Flaherty (analyst)
    -Paul O’Neill (analyst)
    -Ken Singleton (analyst)

Previous rankings: 25 (2014), 27 (2016), 2 (2017), 12 (2018)
    Previous grades: 1.93 (2014), 1.95 (2016), 3.00 (2017), 2.53 (2018)

Most popular grade: A (31.89% of votes)

Analysis: The Yankees were one of two teams (along with the Dodgers) to receive at least 3,000 votes (which is not a surprise), and because they’re the Yankees, they saw huge spikes in both their A and F grades. The huge cut of A votes was balanced out by 23.01% of their votes coming in as an F, if only because they’re the Yankees. Much like last year, when they ranked 12th, their grade seems right and not too extreme like in 2016 or 2017.
    Pretty funny. The 2016 squad was so painful to watch. 2017 was such a surprise to see the Yankees in instant contention. Same exact YES crew soars to number 2!
    Supports: smart spending, roster flexibility and depth. Does not support: reckless spending and extreme prospect hugging.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Kay cleared to resume broadcasting. Don think know when he's expected back at the ballpark but he's returning to his talk show in a couple of weeks.
    I am sure even if Kay was healthy he would not be making the up coming west coast trip.

Quote Originally Posted by secret_face View Post
    Pretty funny. The 2016 squad was so painful to watch. 2017 was such a surprise to see the Yankees in instant contention. Same exact YES crew soars to number 2!
    Broadcasters always sound better with a good team.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I am sure even if Kay was healthy he would not be making the up coming west coast trip.
    I bet he shows up for Dodgers. He'll hit the West Coast if there is special interest.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

the guy calls NBA games, he's not doing minor league baseball
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by secret_face View Post
    Have to see if Meredith updates us on the Kayster's rehab schedule and IL activation date.
    Wonder where is rehab starts will occur? Staten Island is at home against Lowell the next three nights, so that site is certainly a possibility.

He hasn't been allowed to speak for like a month and a half, so he certainly needs to ease into the position again.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    He should stick to the NBA.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Then he shouldn't do baseball. It's a different type of announcing.

P.S.: Is he doing NBA basketball on a major network or just YES? If it's just YES, then all that proves is that YES likes him. We already know that because they're forcing him on us for Yankee games.

Thread Information