+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: YES crew discussion marketplace 2019

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Yeah this whole "Cone as pitching coach" meme has always struck me as baseless wishcasting, even without the thing about his son. Not sure how much a freethinking "march to his own drummer" type would enjoy trying to lead a bunch of young jockos who aren't always receptive to wisdom -- not that you won't have veterans to deal with too but they already know for the most part what they're doing, most of the heavy lifting is with the kids.

Reminds me of the days when people here by the dozens used to try to pump up the idea of Mike Mussina as pitching coach. I've met the guy several times, my impression was he'd rather be boiled in oil than deal with a lot of young fireballers with half his IQ. Cone is more gregarious than Moose but I could see his patience running out fairly fast in its own right.
    Great post Newman!!!!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Does the fact that the simply awful John Flaherty is doing play by play now mean that the powers that be realize how bad Roucco is?

Let's hope so. And let's hope those same powers watched today's game and realize they also need to move on from Flaherty as well.

Ruocco was working WNBA games this weekend for ESPN.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    Ruocco was working WNBA games this weekend for ESPN.
    That's a good place for him.
    Just win!

Yeah this whole "Cone as pitching coach" meme has always struck me as baseless wishcasting, even without the thing about his son. Not sure how much a freethinking "march to his own drummer" type would enjoy trying to lead a bunch of young jockos who aren't always receptive to wisdom -- not that you won't have veterans to deal with too but they already know for the most part what they're doing, most of the heavy lifting is with the kids.

Reminds me of the days when people here by the dozens used to try to pump up the idea of Mike Mussina as pitching coach. I've met the guy several times, my impression was he'd rather be boiled in oil than deal with a lot of young fireballers with half his IQ. Cone is more gregarious than Moose but I could see his patience running out fairly fast in its own right.
    Maybe he doesn’t want to be a pitching coach but he was not shy in saying that at the very least he wouldn’t turn down an interview to manage after Girardi was let go. Maybe things have changed for him though and maybe he was never interested in a pitching coach role. He did however just write a book sharing his knowledge and experience as a pitcher and seems to enjoy sharing his knowledge as an announcer. Totally different I know, but it’s not like Moose who is completely removed from the game right now.

Anyway hopefully Cone is still in the booth, but would not be shocked if he wants to try his hand in some coaching capacity at some point in the next several years.

Hopefully YES goes after CC post retirement, I think he’d do great, can even work with Rucco.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I really like the idea of Willie Randolph doing more broadcasts. Very knowledgeable, good insight, good sense of humor, and a big Yankee supporter.

I miss both Jim Kaat and Al Leiter, and although I like Cone in the booth, I'd rather see him replace Larry Rothschild as pitching coach.

For me, Meredith serves her purpose well.

Flaherty should be the new WB Mason guy.
    Listening to cone's book tonight, bobby valentine offered him a pitching coach job, but he declined. He would be a great pitching coach.

NYYF Legend

So it looks like the interns at YES are as clueless as some of the on-air personnel. On today's edition of the awful "Today's Conversation," the question was "What was the best performance ever by a Yankee pitcher in a postseason elimination game?" The "winner" they chose was, "Andy Pettitte in Game 5 of the 1996 World Series. He pitched great blah blah blah ..."

Game 5 of the 1996 World Series wasn't an elimination game. The series was tied 2-2 going in.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

So it looks like the interns at YES are as clueless as some of the on-air personnel. On today's edition of the awful "Today's Conversation," the question was "What was the best performance ever by a Yankee pitcher in a postseason elimination game?" The "winner" they chose was, "Andy Pettitte in Game 5 of the 1996 World Series. He pitched great blah blah blah ..."

Game 5 of the 1996 World Series wasn't an elimination game. The series was tied 2-2 going in.
    YES is an embarrassment.
    Just win!

I'm glad Kay didn't refer to the length of the game as "unmanageable" today.

That was always an insult to those of us who are happy to watch every minute of baseball that we can.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
    I'm glad Kay didn't refer to the length of the game as "unmanageable" today.

That was always an insult to those of us who are happy to watch every minute of baseball that we can.
    To be honest I've always been a lot more bothered by John and Suzyn complaining about their dream jobs than I am by Kay's "manageable/unmanageable" schtick. They will complain about the length of the game, why are we in the 12th inning now oh god when can we leave, this travel is terrible we've been on the road 8 days now when do we get to go home already, we're so sick of our hotel and its lousy service, on and on and on like the awful drone of off-key bagpipes.

At least manageable/unmanageable is over in the blink of an eye.

To be honest I've always been a lot more bothered by John and Suzyn complaining about their dream jobs than I am by Kay's "manageable/unmanageable" schtick. They will complain about the length of the game, why are we in the 12th inning now oh god when can we leave, this travel is terrible we've been on the road 8 days now when do we get to go home already, we're so sick of our hotel and its lousy service, on and on and on like the awful drone of off-key bagpipes.

When Scooter used to leave after seven innings - and talk about listening to the end of yesterday’s game while he was driving over the bridge - it was cute. Sort of. Now, no.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    When Scooter used to leave after seven innings - and talk about listening to the end of yesterday’s game while he was driving over the bridge - it was cute. Sort of. Now, no.
    I wish Phil hadn't done those quick exits, but I was a little more tolerant because a) I'd liked the guy for years before he started doing it and b) his association with the Yankees wasn't entirely tied to his announcing. He was a significant player in their on-field history.

When your entire association with the flagship franchise in North American sports is tied to your announcing, act like you appreciate being there OK?

NYYF Legend

To be fair to John, he broadcasts every game but Michael doesn't. Between YES and Channel 11 games Michael doesn't call and national TV games he can't call, he misses enough that John could leave every game 30 minutes early and still broadcast longer.

NYYF Legend

They complain all game long. They're worse than the Game Thread when the Yankees are down by a run.

A lot of things bother me about Kay, but the manageable/unmanageable never did.
    Just win!

NYYF Triple Crown

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...mpression=true

More
    Buck Showalter in talks to return to the Yankees in analyst role on YES https://trib.al/mJNb7IT @nydnraiss

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...mpression=true

More
    Buck Showalter in talks to return to the Yankees in analyst role on YES https://trib.al/mJNb7IT @nydnraiss
    This is great.

Finally YES does something positive.

More Buck, more Willie. No Flaherty. No Roucco. Please!
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

This is great.

Finally YES does something positive.

More Buck, more Willie. No Flaherty. No Roucco. Please!
    Michael Kay is probably making dinner plans now.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Michael Kay is probably making dinner plans now.
    Hey Buck, wanna sleep over?
    Just win!

If Paul O'Neill says "I tell you one thing" half a dozen times, is he still telling us one thing?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If Paul O'Neill says "I tell you one thing" have a dozen times, is he still telling us one thing?
    I tell you what, that's a good question.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I tell you what, that's a good question.
    My post was especially for you, muggs, but you knew that.

NYYF Legend

Hey Buck, wanna sleep over?
    We’re just getting reacquainted
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Michael Kay just announced on Twitter that he’ll have vocal chord surgery and will be out for about a month.

I'm not a fan of Michael Kay but I wish him the best and a speedy reoccupation (edit: make that "recuperation")
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I'm not a fan of Michael Kay but I wish him the best and a speedy reoccupation.
    Who is he, Poland?

Who is he, Poland?
    autocorrect is the enemy of mankind

Thread Information