+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2019 J.A. Happ Performance Thread

He pinch-hit for German, giving him plate appearances in consecutive games. I wonder when the last time a Yankees pitcher had plate appearances in consecutive games. As for his primary job, he 1-2 with a 4.68 ERA. His home run rate is too high, and his strikeout rate is low.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 J.A. Happ Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He pinch-hit for German, giving him plate appearances in consecutive games. I wonder when the last time a Yankees pitcher had plate appearances in consecutive games. As for his primary job, he 1-2 with a 4.68 ERA. His home run rate is too high, and his strikeout rate is low.
    Has pitched much better of late though.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    How stumped must the rest of us be if you're wondering?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    How stumped must the rest of us be if you're wondering?
    Probably not in a long time, at least for a starting pitcher.

JA Happ tossed 5.2 scoreless innings against the homer happy Mariners tonight to earn the win.

I didn't get to see most of this game, so I'm curious ... why was Happ gone after 5? The lack of length has me questioning just how good a start this really was. I'm seeing three walks to go along with seven strikeouts -- 94 total pitches. How did he look out there? Was he laboring?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I didn't get to see most of this game, so I'm curious ... why was Happ gone after 5? The lack of length has me questioning just how good a start this really was. I'm seeing three walks to go along with seven strikeouts -- 94 total pitches. How did he look out there? Was he laboring?
    A lot of deep counts ... he actually went 5.0, not 5.2 as posted above ... got screwed pretty hard by the ump on the last walk which was a leadoff walk, the ball was clearly a strike on 3-2 but the umpire got fooled by the batter's movement in the box. Still, I didn't mind the pull, I sort of had the same sense as Boone (that's scary) that something bad was about to happen.

This was an excellent outing by Happ considering how well the Mariners hit the ball the night before. Good 4-seam FB. 7 Ks in 5 innings. 1 hit. Almost no balls hit hard by the Ms. Umpire was inconsistent the whole night. Called one strike on a Yankee hitter that was 3-6 inches inside. Called balls strikes and strikes balls. Happ really let ump Hickox know what he thought of his performance as he left the field. Rarely see that. Happ certainly deserved the win.

Yet the old time purists scream when it was suggested that home plate umpires be replaced by computers calling balls and strikes...

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    Yet the old time purists scream when it was suggested that home plate umpires be replaced by computers calling balls and strikes...
    And new-school analytical types, quite correctly, donít really care about whether a pitcher gets a W or not.

In this afternoon's game, after five innings and 60 pitches, Happ has given up 3 runs (2 HRs) and sports an ugly 4.37 ERA. He certainly isn't earning his ludicrous $17M annual stipend and he is guaranteed another $17M next season. Luckily for Cashman, Brian won't pick up that third year $17M option.

NYYF Legend

He was taken out after 5 1/3 innings and 64 pitches. He improved his record to 3-3 and increased his ERA to 4.44.

Surprised this guy's thread isn't being lit up. He's easily the worst pitcher on the team, and it's not even close. If we're ever fortunate enough to get reinforcements -- basically any two of Paxton, Severino, and Montgomery -- he's the one who should be #6 on the depth chart.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Surprised this guy's thread isn't being lit up. He's easily the worst pitcher on the team, and it's not even close. If we're ever fortunate enough to get reinforcements -- basically any two of Paxton, Severino, and Montgomery -- he's the one who should be #6 on the depth chart.
    I think the answer to the question, "who would you take out of the rotation for Gio Gonzalez?" is getting much easier to answer.

NYYF Legend

Journeyman pitcher is journeyman, even if you pay him $17M per. 5.16 ERA after tonight's bomb-out, obviously much worse than the 3.48 he put up 2015-18. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were 10-game stretches like this even in some of his good years, he's always been hittable to a point. Is his velocity down this year? Don't know. Either way, unless and until Severino and/or Montgomery come back great guns, not much you can do except send him out there and hope for improvement. SP depth is not there right now.

Calls a tool a tool

Morton was the guy to sign. 2 years at 15 MM per.

As I said this offseason when you sign a 36 year old fastball reliant pitcher itís a gamble because he can be done at any point. Is Happ done? I hope not, but itís a possibility at this point. He may need to remake himself.

NYYF Legend

At this point Iím just hoping they donít get stuck with him for that third year.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    At this point Iím just hoping they donít get stuck with him for that third year.
    Overreaction, I think. ERA in previous 6 starts before tonight was 2.97. Obviously his overall season line is unacceptable but it's May 20. Breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Journeyman pitcher is journeyman, even if you pay him $17M per. 5.16 ERA after tonight's bomb-out, obviously much worse than the 3.48 he put up 2015-18. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were 10-game stretches like this even in some of his good years, he's always been hittable to a point. Is his velocity down this year? Don't know. Either way, unless and until Severino and/or Montgomery come back great guns, not much you can do except send him out there and hope for improvement. SP depth is not there right now.
    In another thread I commented that Cashman often picks up mid season rentals. Whatís more surprising is that sometimes heís fooled by a couple of good months in NY. Ichiro! was another.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    In another thread I commented that Cashman often picks up mid season rentals. Whatís more surprising is that sometimes heís fooled by a couple of good months in NY. Ichiro! was another.
    I didnít expect Happ to be like this but Iím not surprised.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yep. Itís a pattern with Cashman.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Overreaction, I think. ERA in previous 6 starts before tonight was 2.97. Obviously his overall season line is unacceptable but it's May 20. Breathe.
    Strikeouts way down, HRs way up, fastball velocity down. Not good signs. He may have to ditch his 4-seam led approach and go for more of a soft contact approach. Weíll see though maybe itís a mechanical tweak (ignore whatever Larry is telling you, J.A.)

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Yep. Itís a pattern with Cashman.
    They do seem to like getting guys, seeing if they fit in, and then keep them via FA.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Strikeouts way down, HRs way up, fastball velocity down. Not good signs.
    Actually home runs not WAY up from his rough start last year, allowed 9 in his first 45 innings in 2018 while pitching to a 4.80 ERA. Strikeouts were, in fact, much better last year even during that bad early stretch. Don't know what velocity readings were for that period.

Thread Information