+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 J.A. Happ Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    After this afternoon game with the Chi-Sox, the Yankees return home to three games with the struggling Rays and three with the sizzling Astros with the red hot Red Sox nipping at the Yankees's heels. A very defining portion of the schedule.
    Keep those J.A. Happ updates coming.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

they signed this guy for two years

quests for happ and not Morton

why

with a return of German (and hopefully severino) and an acquisition of another starter happ shouldnt even be in the rotation. At least CC can gut through five in the last year of his career. Happ looks done at 36

Quote Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
    they signed this guy for two years

quests for happ and not Morton

why
    Happ was good...unfortunately, father time hit him quickly.

Since we like to rest players, we got to make sure to rest him next year so he doesn't get to 165 IP or 27 starts.
    Let's Go Yankees!

NYYF Legend

As said in off-season I have no idea why people are so harsh on CC signing but have no problem with Happ. They're basically the same pitcher for the last 2-3 seasons and CC contract is much better.

Absolute garbage pitcher. LOL at Cashman/Kids in the Hall thinking this guy was a better value then Morton.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    As said in off-season I have no idea why people are so harsh on CC signing but have no problem with Happ. They're basically the same pitcher for the last 2-3 seasons and CC contract is much better.
    agreed. cc was only one year....that made sense. even if he falls apart that's it after this year. They are paying happ 14 mil next year and he looks done

agreed. cc was only one year....that made sense. even if he falls apart that's it after this year. They are paying happ 14 mil next year and he looks done
    $17M next year, and a vesting option for $17M in 2021... yay!!!!
    Let's Go Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    $17M next year, and a vesting option for $17M in 2021... yay!!!!
    what does it need to vest. at this rate they made to make sure it doesn't

165IP or 27 starts next year.... rest him!!!
    Let's Go Yankees!

Because the team didn't need two CC's. If you're signing CC,, you don't need a pitcher like Haapless.

NYYF Legend

165 IP or 27 Games Started in 2020.

The moment they traded for him last year, it was pretty much a forgone conclusion that he was resigning..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Because the team didn't need two CC's. If you're signing CC,, you don't need a pitcher like Haapless.
    Exactly why I don't know why people prefer Happ over CC.

Happ is useless and especially come playoffs time.

Every time Verlander takes the mound against the Yankees, fans cringed as what might have happened had Cashman traded for him instead of the Astros.

165 IP or 27 Games Started in 2020.
    165 IP might be a challenge for him because he just made his 16th start and he has 84 innings...so even if he missed two starts he might not get there. He'd need to not make 6 or 7 starts for the option not to vest. That's a month long IL stint. Nearly every year of his career, however, he has managed 27 starts. It would take the Yankees stuffing him to the bullpen to make sure he isn't here in 2021.

NYYF Legend

Assuming we don't come back, he will be 7-4 with 2.13 home runs allowed per 9 innings. The record for most home runs allowed per 9 innings with enough innings to qualify and a winning percentage of at least .600 is 1.93 by Eric Milton in 2004. In 16 starts including today, Happ has 5 quality starts and is 3-0 in those games.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Happ was good...unfortunately, father time hit him quickly.

Yes, he was good, especially with the Jays and for a number of his NYY starts last year. However, when Father Time struck, he took an inch or maybe even 2 off JAH's fastball, and he could not afford to lose that inch or two because his repertoire, beyond the FB, is insufficient.

In the 1950s, he would get sent to the bullpen or to make what they used to call, then, "spot starts," against non-intimidating teams.

I have brought this up before and several of you dissed on Jays Marcus Stroman who shut out the Red Sox at Fenway Park today. He sports a 3.10 ERA which is better than any Yankee starter we have. He is club controllable for one more year and the Jays appear to not want to sign him to a long term deal.

Stroman was born in NY State and has a playful personality who would resonate with Luke Voit and others on the squad. Cashman must surely have inquired about the cost of obtaining him I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    I have brought this up before and several of you dissed on Jays Marcus Stroman who shut out the Red Sox at Fenway Park today. He sports a 3.10 ERA which is better than any Yankee starter we have. He is club controllable for one more year and the Jays appear to not want to sign him to a long term deal.

Stroman was born in NY State and has a playful personality who would resonate with Luke Voit and others on the squad. Cashman must surely have inquired about the cost of obtaining him.
    l
    Doesn't Haap supposedly have a history of shutting down the Red Sox too? Isn't that why he's here?

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Doesn't Haap supposedly have a history of shutting down the Red Sox too? Isn't that why he's here?
    That was one of the selling point for A. J. Burnett as well.

Iím kind of torn as to what Happ should do. He seemed to be starting to develop a nice sinker and slider combo, but that failed him today. I donít know though if thereís any hope of him getting back his 4 seamer. And if he needs to focus on sinker and slider. Should consider a cutter for righties. Would he do better with an opener? We need to use Green more anyway.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Would he do better with an opener? We need to use Green more anyway.
    That's not a bad idea at all. German is allegedly not too far away, maybe when he reclaims his spot, shift Green over to open for Happ.

Word of caution: One reason the Green-Cortes tag team may be working so well is Green throws heat. Then Cortes comes in somewhere near the bottom of the order and by the time the lineup turns over, the other team is looking at slop instead of Green's hard stuff. Even with Happ's diminished velocity I think he throws harder than Cortes (not sure but think so). So not sure there's the same kind of "contrast" there.

I'd try it though, I'll try anything with Happ at this point.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Iím kind of torn as to what Happ should do. He seemed to be starting to develop a nice sinker and slider combo, but that failed him today. I donít know though if thereís any hope of him getting back his 4 seamer. And if he needs to focus on sinker and slider. Should consider a cutter for righties. Would he do better with an opener? We need to use Green more anyway.
    During the post-game, Happ made a bunch of cryptic comments about how he was trying to do "stuff" on the mound today that wasn't really playing to his strength. To her credit, Meredith pressed him to explain what he meant, but he just kept talking about "stuff."

Maybe he's talking about exactly this question of working on new pitches instead of staying with what used to be working for him. I have no idea, but he seems lost right now.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information