+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Fun with John and Suzyn 2019 thread

Post any random thoughts on the dynamic duo here.

John trotted out an old favorite today -- complaining about a loud fan (in some versions, it's a vendor) near the broadcast booth. Hopefully the Giants sent someone to tell that fan who likely paid his way into the park that he needs to pipe down on the noise so John can enjoy his own broadcast.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Post any random thoughts on the dynamic duo here.

John trotted out an old favorite today -- complaining about a loud fan (in some versions, it's a vendor) near the broadcast booth. Hopefully the Giants sent someone to tell that fan who likely paid his way into the park that he needs to pipe down on the noise so John can enjoy his own broadcast.
    When John trots that one out, he invariably says that the fan is the type that used to be called "leather-lunged."

NYYF Legend

Re: Fun with John and Suzyn 2019 thread

Just as an aside, his home run call for Gio Urshela -- "he's a most happy fella" -- is a recycle. He used that one for Jose Pirela's lone Yankee homer in 2015.

Although a recycle, it's kind of a vintage John call in that it references a 1950s Broadway musical that nobody remembers.

Just as an aside, his home run call for Gio Urshela -- "he's a most happy fella" -- is a recycle. He used that one for Jose Pirela's lone Yankee homer in 2015.

Although a recycle, it's kind of a vintage John call in that it references a 1950s Broadway musical that nobody remembers.
    It was featured in the last season of I Love Lucy in one of the episodes. In real life Desi and Lucy owned a piece of that play so it was no coincidence that was the play they went to see on their tv show.

A little promotion never hurt. Desi was a smart business man.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    A little promotion never hurt. Desi was a smart business man.
    Unfortunately when it came to girls Desi did a lot more than stand on the corner watching all of them go by. That's why he and Lucy stopped being married.

Unfortunately when it came to girls Desi did a lot more than stand on the corner watching all of them go by. That's why he and Lucy stopped being married.
    It didnít help that he couldnít walk past a bar, either.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It didnít help that he couldnít walk past a bar, either.
    As a bandleader, he was fond of syncopation. Defined as "A swaying movement from bar to bar."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    As a bandleader, he was fond of syncopation. Defined as "A swaying movement from bar to bar."
    I really love syncopation. John and Suzyn, not so much.
    Just win!

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post

NYYF Legend

Solid call on the Torres home run in the 8th, the one that was caught on the warning track.

NYYF Legend

John didn't have a home run call ready for Kendrys Morales, 2nd time in a row he wasn't ready for a player's Yankee first (Estrada). Not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing.

NYYF Legend

John didn't have a home run call ready for Kendrys Morales, 2nd time in a row he wasn't ready for a player's Yankee first (Estrada). Not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing.
    That has to be a good thing. Hopefully he's tiring of this gig.

Maybe all the rain delays will have some good.
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

I'm late but want to say that Grunting Gertie had quite a week in Baltimore. The series gave her many opportunities to employ her relatively new vehicle, the "positive grunt" (c. 2017), not to be confused with the famed "negative grunt" (c. 2013-14).

Gleyber Torres inspired several top-notch "Positive grunts," one of which almost drowned out John's call.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    That has to be a good thing. Hopefully he's tiring of this gig.

Maybe all the rain delays will have some good.
    I think he is starting to get tired of it. He probably wonít last more than 8 or 9 more years.

NYYF Legend

Suzy did not know that James Paxton pitched in an EST game yesterday.

NYYF Legend

Weird that WFAN continues to run station-break promos, obviously recorded earlier in the season, in which John tells you to tune in to the Tampa series: "Suzyn Waldman and I will join you at 3:30 for every play of the action on WFAN" (or something like that). Anyone who listens to WFAN knows John isn't there. Couldn't they get one of their hosts to bang out a couple of promos just to get through this weekend? ("Listen to Ryan Ruocco and Suzyn Waldman as the Yankees take on the Rays at Tropicana Field.")

NYYF Legend

I don't put the Yankee Game on in the car on the radio before the game starts because it's just Suzyn fumbling around killing time before she has to make her big intro to John Sterling.

It's mostly just announcing sponsors for everything. The weather, the day of the week, the umpires, the starting pitchers, the time of day, the letters of the alphabet. Everything.

Today for the first time in a long time, I flipped the radio on a little too early.

They came back from a "real" commercial break to Suzyn relaying the sponsor to the National Anthem.

The National Anthem which they don't play on the radio (they go to commercial) has a sponsor.

That's flat out insane.
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

I don't put the Yankee Game on in the car on the radio before the game starts because it's just Suzyn fumbling around killing time before she has to make her big intro to John Sterling.

It's mostly just announcing sponsors for everything. The weather, the day of the week, the umpires, the starting pitchers, the time of day, the letters of the alphabet. Everything.

Today for the first time in a long time, I flipped the radio on a little too early.

They came back from a "real" commercial break to Suzyn relaying the sponsor to the National Anthem.

The National Anthem which they don't play on the radio (they go to commercial) has a sponsor.

That's flat out insane.
    if you write the Yankees a check you can be the "official" anything. I think the Yankees have an official tool & die sharpening service.

NYYF Legend

if you write the Yankees a check you can be the "official" anything. I think the Yankees have an official tool & die sharpening service.
    Another complaint about the Radio broadcast is they Jozyn doesn't give the score enough.

All the need is someone to sponsor the score and the problem is solved.
    Just win!

That's flat out insane.
    I think, and this is just me thinking outloud, when they stopped broadcasting the National Anthem it bothered Suzyn (although she never made any public criticism) and she made a point of recognizing who performed the Anthem when they came back from the break. And for whatever reason that became sponsored.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I think, and this is just me thinking outloud, when they stopped broadcasting the National Anthem it bothered Suzyn (although she never made any public criticism) and she made a point of recognizing who performed the Anthem when they came back from the break. And for whatever reason that became sponsored.
    Soon the commercial breaks will have sponsors.

(Your theory does make sense)
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

They also have a sponsor for the seventh inning stretch. And they never broadcast "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" ... or "God Bless America," thank heaven.

Not really fair to hold the sponsorship stuff against them, WFAN is paying 15 million a year to broadcast their games. Gotta pay the bills somehow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Yankees and Mets are the few instances of their radio broadcast home paying them for the right to have the games on their airwaves whereas in most other cities, the team pays their radio affiliate to play the games.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jbell025 View Post
    Not really fair to hold the sponsorship stuff against them, WFAN is paying 15 million a year to broadcast their games. Gotta pay the bills somehow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Yankees and Mets are the few instances of their radio broadcast home paying them for the right to have the games on their airwaves whereas in most other cities, the team pays their radio affiliate to play the games.
    I agree the sponsorship stuff shouldnít be held against them. I canít speak to who pays whom for broadcast rights. It is unfortunate that it seems the game has become secondary during the broadcasts at times. It canít be easy getting all the ads in.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

For me itís still the Loweís Broadcast Booth. Letís build something together.

My radio listen thought today is that Gary and ďscaryĒ actually donít rhyme in New York.

Thread Information