Results 4,476 to 4,490 of 4490
    1 billion = 1 thousand million Texsahara's Avatar

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

I'd say it's on us for continuing to allow lifetime judicial appointments

Death Star Fully Operational

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I'd say it's on us for continuing to allow lifetime judicial appointments
    You do realize that changing the Constitution is not some small matter and is very difficult to accomplished especially in a country as divided as ours. Hell, the Equal Rights Amendment hasn't been added to the Constitution and it's been decades now.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yep. Thatís the choice we have, and itís an easy one. There is a non-trivial chance that Biden will be at least a little bit better than you fear, and a very real chance that Trump's second term will be more destructive than his first.
    In other words, crappy Biden vs. crappier Trump with a potential to be significantly worse Trump.

Think this one over... should Trump win a second term... we will be even more emboldened and not have to worry about re-election (giving him more of a mandate).

We'll be all lucky if we're not living in caves by then end of 2024.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979 View Post
    In other words, crappy Biden vs. crappier Trump with a potential to be significantly worse Trump.

Think this one over... should Trump win a second term... we will be even more emboldened and not have to worry about re-election (giving him more of a mandate).

We'll be all lucky if we're not living in caves by then end of 2024.
    I completely agree with the sentiment here. Having withstood impeachment, gotten away with self-dealing, giving billions in tax cuts to corporations and ripping apart regulations that protect us... I can't imagine what he would do next.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    I completely agree with the sentiment here. Having withstood impeachment, gotten away with self-dealing, giving billions in tax cuts to corporations and ripping apart regulations that protect us... I can't imagine what he would do next.
    Heís already been more emboldened since his acquittal.

1 billion = 1 thousand million Texsahara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    You do realize that changing the Constitution is not some small matter and is very difficult to accomplished especially in a country as divided as ours. Hell, the Equal Rights Amendment hasn't been added to the Constitution and it's been decades now.
    Yeah I 'm pretty sure I know how the constitution is changed. The founders were not that bright about a lot of things. We've had hundreds of years to do better. We have failed on this one to date. So it's on us.
    Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that?
    Man in Black: Oh no. It's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Yeah I 'm pretty sure I know how the constitution is changed. The founders were not that bright about a lot of things. We've had hundreds of years to do better. We have failed on this one to date. So it's on us.
    The Founding Fathers made it difficult to change the Constitution, so we didn't do so frivolously. But, they certainly made it possible to change the document, and we rarely even try. I have long contended that the Founding Fathers would be furious that we have amended the document so few times. As social mores change, as education changes, as technology advances, the Constitution hasn't kept up.

And yes, that's on US.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    The Founding Fathers made it difficult to change the Constitution, so we didn't do so frivolously. But, they certainly made it possible to change the document, and we rarely even try. I have long contended that the Founding Fathers would be furious that we have amended the document so few times. As social mores change, as education changes, as technology advances, the Constitution hasn't kept up.

And yes, that's on US.
    Itís effectively impossible today. You couldnít get two-thirds of both houses to agree that the sun rises in the East. And no, I donít place the blame equally.

Itís effectively impossible today. You couldnít get two-thirds of both houses to agree that the sun rises in the East.
    And that's because we keep re-electing Party-first professional politicians, rather than statesmen. Bureaucrats, rather than leaders. Apparachiks, rather than visionaries.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    The fact that this election will even be close after everything he's said and done, crimes he's committed, and lives he's cost just shows me that we, not North Korea, are the most indoctrinated country in the world.

There is zero reason he deserves another term. In a normal world this would be a 15,000,000 vote/450+ electoral vote win for the person running against him - but since we have Fox News, Facebook, and Russia it'll be much much closer.

And that's because we keep re-electing Party-first professional politicians, rather than statesmen. Bureaucrats, rather than leaders. Apparachiks, rather than visionaries.
    This is not a same-on-both-sides phenomenon,

This is not a same-on-both-sides phenomenon,
    Which side is electing statesmen, leaders, and visionaries. I must have missed it.

- President Barack Obama

Which side is electing statesmen, leaders, and visionaries. I must have missed it.
    Iíll settle for acknowledgment of facts and some diversity of opinion. I think you overestimate the number of statesmen, leaders, and visionaries in our past.

I think you overestimate the number of statesmen, leaders, and visionaries in our past.
    I probably do.

However, I think I'm pretty precise about the number of statesmen, leaders, and visionaries currently inside the Beltway.

- President Barack Obama

I probably do.

However, I think I'm pretty precise about the number of statesmen, leaders, and visionaries currently inside the Beltway.
    Some are getting or have gotten the hell out of there. A couple of decent, honorable conservatives come to mind: Dan Coats surprised me with how seriously he took his job, and Will Hurd is someone I would have liked to see more of.

Thread Information