+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

1. How dare she charge going rates for legal services.
    2. If this headline were about a man it would be “Champion multitasker juggled 2 difficult jobs at once.”
    It's definitely dumb, but you can't expect a newspaper owned by Jeff Bezos to be objective when covering the one candidate strongly advocating to break up Amazon.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    It's definitely dumb, but you can't expect a newspaper owned by Jeff Bezos to be objective when covering the one candidate strongly advocating to break up Amazon.
    I seriously doubt that Bezos micro-manages their news coverage in that way. If he directed the news department to run anti-Warren stories, we’d hear about it.

This is a case where it’s not necessary to consider malice, because mere stupidity is a sufficient explanation.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Every 2020 candidate's take on child care policy.

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/22/183028...kids-president

We asked all the 2020 Democrats how they’d fix child care. Here’s what they said.
    The American child care system is failing everyone. Now it’s finally becoming an election issue.
    Vox decided to survey the candidates who have officially entered the 2020 Democratic primary to find out where they stand on this issue — and analyze how their responses stack up against what experts say kids, parents, and child care workers actually need.

The results fell into a few categories. Six Democrats have said they support comprehensive child care plans that would address all the problems experts have identified: cost, availability, and provider pay. Some others support tax credits for child care, which experts say can help but don’t address the full scope of the problem. A few support universal pre-K but don’t have a plan for kids under 3. Finally, some support another plan, have no platform on the issue yet, or haven’t gotten back to us. We’ll discuss each group below.

Every 2020 candidate's take on child care policy.

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/22/183028...kids-president
    Child care is a huge issue. The expense is crippling young families.

But, the Democratic "take" on the issue will be completely predictable. Tax the rich and make it free for everyone. This concept is financially unworkable, but also creates fairness issues. Those on the cities will have all sorts of options, but families in rural areas won't. It also penalizes families where there's a full-time care-giver at home.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ldcare/583615/
    Closing future federal deficits with a wealth tax would require importing a slew of new ultra-millionaires from another dimension and then taxing them with abandon, and that’s before we start contemplating Medicare for all or a Green New Deal, let alone a new federal child-care program.
    I'd really like to see a proposed solution (to this problem, and all the other problems the Democrats are proposing solutions for) that doesn't say "the government will pay for it, and they'll get the money from taxing rich people."

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Child care is a huge issue. The expense is crippling young families.

But, the Democratic "take" on the issue will be completely predictable. Tax the rich and make it free for everyone. This concept is financially unworkable, but also creates fairness issues. Those on the cities will have all sorts of options, but families in rural areas won't. It also penalizes families where there's a full-time care-giver at home.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ldcare/583615/

I'd really like to see a proposed solution (to this problem, and all the other problems the Democrats are proposing solutions for) that doesn't say "the government will pay for it, and they'll get the money from taxing rich people."
    Similarly, before we pretend that taxes can't be raised, we should remember that we just had a huge corporate tax cut, the result of which was record stock buybacks because corporations literally couldn't find a better place to invest that money. I think healthcare and childcare are investments that will not only benefit individuals, but society as well, as more people will have a better chance to be more productive and contribute to our economy.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    I think healthcare and childcare are investments that will not only benefit individuals, but society as well, as more people will have a better chance to be more productive and contribute to our economy.
    I fully agree. But if society is to benefit, society will need to pay the bill. Taxes will go up. A lot. And not just for corporations and rich people.

The kind of increase in federal spending that is being proposed by many Democratic candidates CANNOT be paid for by taxing someone else. Yet, that's how they all propose things. "We'll tax corporations, not you." "We'll tax ultra-millionaires, not you." "We'll force employers to pay everyone $15 an hour, but prices won't go up."

"Tax the rich" from the Left is as insincere and unworkable as "trickle-down economics" from the Right.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I fully agree. But if society is to benefit, society will need to pay the bill. Taxes will go up. A lot. And not just for corporations and rich people.

The kind of increase in federal spending that is being proposed by many Democratic candidates CANNOT be paid for by taxing someone else. Yet, that's how they all propose things. "We'll tax corporations, not you." "We'll tax ultra-millionaires, not you." "We'll force employers to pay everyone $15 an hour, but prices won't go up."

"Tax the rich" from the Left is as insincere and unworkable as "trickle-down economics" from the Right.
    And yet, the rest of the modern world manage to do it.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    And yet, the rest of the modern world manage to do it.
    Just like healthcare, evidently we are just too dumb to figure it out
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Just like healthcare, evidently we are just too dumb to figure it out
    I don’t get it. I keep being told “we can’t do this”. Yet, the only difference is that the “we” are Americans.

Hope is eternal

I don’t get it. I keep being told “we can’t do this”. Yet, the only difference is that the “we” are Americans.
    And the real reason left i said. I got mine and I am not sharing with anyone
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    And the real reason left i said. I got mine and I am not sharing with anyone
    That is certainly part of it. Speaking with friends and family back home, that has increased in the UK following Brexit.

1. How dare she charge going rates for legal services.
    2. If this headline were about a man it would be “Champion multitasker juggled 2 difficult jobs at once.”
    She should've done it all for free. Women shouldn't be ambitious, Greg. Duh.

That is certainly part of it. Speaking with friends and family back home, that has increased in the UK following Brexit.
    What's your take on Theresa May? And holy crap, I hope Boris doesn't become PM. He seems as disheveled and cruel, and almost as unintelligent, as Drumpf.

Re: 2020 Democratic Nominati

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    What's your take on Theresa May? And holy crap, I hope Boris doesn't become PM. He seems as disheveled and cruel, and almost as unintelligent, as Drumpf.
    For the first time in my life, I actually have some sympathy for many politicians in the UK. They all know there is no way this can work. They have two options: slowly poison the country or cut its limbs off, throw it on the floor to die.

May hasn’t been good in anyway. I think she’s a standard crappy Tory politician. I’m also not sure how she could have been any better. She’s kinda like Murkowski, or Collins. The difference is 80% of the country is to her left.

Boris is worse. He’s not like Trump. Our Trump is probably Nigel Farage. Boris is ... John Cornyn, Marco Rubio, or Cory Gardner. A feckless rich conservative who just “looks like” Trump.

Brexit was idiotic on a level that so was deeply concerning that there is no even “only slightly bad route” to recovery. It’s cripple yourself in one of many ways.

The Tory govt underestimated how many people weren’t smart enough to see through the lies of the Leave campaign. That movement took the GOP/FOX playbook and read it out loud to every poor, rural area in the country. “Look, you’re getting screwed by these people who don’t speak English. Let us screw you worse but we’ll speak English while we do it and those English voices wil blame others while screwing you. You’ll definitely be a lot worse off and your kids will be so badly worse than you that your hatred of foreigners will be exacerbated.”

May was bad at her job. She’ll never live it down. But the next person may be so much worse that you’ll have a GWB situation where compared to Trump, he looked close to competent.

Nobody smart wants that job. They know the moment the Brexit vote was announced, the country was screwed in a way that might not be fixed for 100 years.

The only way the country survives is a second referendum in which the vote is overturned. But that would cause some dangerous precedents, and would cause a bigger rift between those who don’t understand how terrible Brexit would be and the rest of the country.

This isn’t like electing Trump. It’s like putting seven Scalias or Thomas on the bench, when they’re 20 years old.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...zDwLPrx_pt4tmo

I DON’T THINK A WOMAN IS ELECTABLE IN 2020 BECAUSE LAST TIME AROUND THE FEMALE NOMINEE ONLY GOT THREE MILLION MORE VOTES THAN HER OPPONENT

Now don’t get me wrong, I love Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris. But as great as they and the other female candidates are, I think Democrats should be focusing more on a sure-fire nominee who can beat Trump. Electability should be our number one priority, and I’m just not sure if America is ready to embrace a female candidate yet — especially considering that Hillary Clinton only got three million more votes than Donald Trump in 2016.

After that shocking blow, it became very clear that the problem isn’t the antiquated electoral college system that gives disproportionate influence to whiter states, but rather the problem is the woman thing. Americans, excluding those 65.8 million who made Hillary Clinton the person with the second most votes ever, just aren’t yet ready to elect a woman president.

That’s why I think we need someone like Joe Biden, who’s a shining example of electability, and who has only lost two presidential elections before this one. Or even Beto O’Rourke, a person who can really unite people of all shades of white, and who is another pro at getting elected. And even though Bernie Sanders couldn’t unite Democrats the last time around, he surely will be able to unite the country better than any woman could.

After all, we have to play this smart, especially since Republicans decided to go with someone who is a traditional example of a highly electable candidate: a scandal-ridden reality television star. We have to bring our A-game and not risk it with these women who just bring decades of government experience and hundreds of pages of thoughtfully written policy to the table.

We need someone that people can see themselves getting a beer with, because drinking beer is one of the most important parts of being a president. And as everybody knows, women don’t drink beer because their lady stomachs can’t handle the enzymes because of their periods.

Anyway, we need someone likable, because that’s who gets the most votes. Just think of a student council election. Everybody goes for the lovable goof, not the high-strung nerd with a big, boring speech about all the things she wants to implement at the school to help the student body. The popular kid gets the votes, even if that means lunch prices rise and he forgets to book a DJ for the prom.

But, of course, some people want a candidate with “policy” who can represent people other than straight white men. To those people, I say there is a fine alternative: the vice presidency. That way we can sneak representation past sexist America like a Trojan horse, and then a supremely qualified woman can be relegated to doing photo-ops at ice cream shops or whatever else a vice president does. They won’t mind having to play second fiddle to a less-qualified man. It’s not like they’ve had to put up with this kind of thing since the beginning of time.

Another good compromise? How about instead of nominating a woman this election, we just have more fictional female TV presidents? It’s a win-win if you think about it. Women get some representation, and the Democrats can regain a real-life president. Plus, actresses like Sigourney Weaver and Diane Lane get some work.

Listen, I want a first female president just as much as the next guy. But now just isn’t the time. We tried going for it once and it didn’t work out. So maybe next time, or the time after that, or three or four times after that. I can’t commit to when exactly because who knows, the stakes might just as high in 2024 or 2028 or the next half-dozen or so general elections in the future. Besides, there are probably going to be some fresh male faces that we should be seriously considering then anyway. You know, to promote progress within the party.

How Bruce Mann, Elizabeth Warren's Devoted Husband, Helped Make Her Dreams Possible

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...ce-mann-facts/

Elizabeth Warren izabeth Warren is famous for her deep familiarity with the issues—and as a fellow law professor, her husband Bruce Mann knows his share, too. Together, they make something of a lawyerly power couple.

But when Mann appears on Warren's Instagram feed, it's generally more personal than policy-related. (And often, it's about their beloved golden retriever, Bailey.) Here's what you should know about Mann, Warren's husband of 38 years.
    Good article. I didn't know she'd proposed to him.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    How Bruce Mann, Elizabeth Warren's Devoted Husband, Helped Make Her Dreams Possible

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...ce-mann-facts/

Good article. I didn't know she'd proposed to him.
    Town and Country. The common touch.

Think someone else said it, but if Warren were a (white, straight) dude, she’d be in the lead by some margin.

NYYF Legend

Think someone else said it, but if Warren were a (white, straight) dude, she’d be in the lead by some margin.
    My problem is I don't want someone in their 70s who has never won an election outside a dinky, liberal coastal state, so I'm passing on Bernie, Biden and Warren. Kamala or Amy (if she gets traction in Iowa.) for me, at this point.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    My problem is I don't want someone in their 70s who has never won an election outside a dinky, liberal coastal state, so I'm passing on Bernie, Biden and Warren. Kamala or Amy (if she gets traction in Iowa.) for me, at this point.
    Reasoning?

Thread Information